New Toyota Yaris...Mobil 1 0W30 or PP 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm approaching 4,500 miles on my 2008 Yaris hatchback w/auto trans (loving the 40+ mpg). I'm on the second round of Pennzoil YB and plan to change it out for synthetic when it hits 6,000 miles. I'm undecided between Mobil 1 0W30 or PP 5W30 (Toyota recommends 5W30 for the car)...both look like good oils. Any suggestions/opinions?

Based upon this......

Toyota Service Memo

I moved my daughters Yaris (4-door Sedan, Auto) over to 0W20. By the way, in the first 15,000 miles, that little car average 38 mpg. On 0W20 and the last three tanks of gas, she jumped up to 42 mpg.

The engine seems to runs smooth and powerful.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn

I moved my daughters Yaris (4-door Sedan, Auto) over to 0W20. By the way, in the first 15,000 miles, that little car average 38 mpg. On 0W20 and the last three tanks of gas, she jumped up to 42 mpg.

+4 mpg and more hp going to 0W20 sounds too good to be true. Out of curiosity, which oil and filter are you using? Probably M1 oil/filter?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Toyota recommends 5W30 for the car

Where did you find this info?

Toyota indicated 5W-20 was the "way they were going" but said to follow weight indicated on the oil cap or in the owners manual

http://www.nwfjcc.com/FJ Tech/eg018t06.pdf

Seems odd a 2008 wouldn't have had 20 weight spec'd.

it's stated in owners manual and on the oil cap . Have 2 YARIS and it's a fact . Using VALVOLINE Synpower 5w-30 in the Liftback and PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 in the sedan . Called TOYOTA's customer toll free helpline and was told by tech not to use the 5w-20 or other lighter weights due to warranty , rather be safe than sorry , not worth the possible few extra miles per gallon . For each their own .

Last edited:
5W-30 is still 'spec' for the Yaris.

5W-20 is out on a TSB for all Toyota's as acceptable, for fuel-economy reasons.

The new Corolla re-design allows 5w-20 OR 5w-30, right on the oil cap. The 're-design' of the Yaris next year will likely allow the same thing.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Toyota recommends 5W30 for the car

Where did you find this info?

Toyota indicated 5W-20 was the "way they were going" but said to follow weight indicated on the oil cap or in the owners manual

http://www.nwfjcc.com/FJ Tech/eg018t06.pdf

Seems odd a 2008 wouldn't have had 20 weight spec'd.

it's stated in owners manual and on the oil cap . Have 2 YARIS and it's a fact . Using VALVOLINE Synpower 5w-30 in the Liftback and PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 in the sedan . Called TOYOTA's customer toll free helpline and was told by tech not to use the 5w-20 or other lighter weights due to warranty , rather be safe than sorry , not worth the possible few extra miles per gallon . For each their own .

Your call to Toyota just goes to show you even a leading world class company can employ people that give out wrong information.

There has been issued a TSB that states the Yaris has been back-spec'd to 0W-20 and 5W-20. By the way, I called Toyota's 800 number and they told me to use the xW-20 oils in my Yaris.

Our family has four Yarii, all hatchbacks. All four use 0W-20 in the fall, winter and spring. In the summer all four use 0W-30. This is what Toyota wants for the Yaris. This is what we do. This is not religion ;-)

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

+4 mpg and more hp going to 0W20 sounds too good to be true. Out of curiosity, which oil and filter are you using? Probably M1 oil/filter?

There are many claims that this oil or that oil will increase MPG by "lots" of MPG. 99 times out of 100 this is bogus. Even Mobil states that the increase is around just a paltry 2%.

If your daughter got an increase in MPG, it had nothing to do with the oil, and everything to do with something else, or an error in your calculations. On a Yaris thread the other day, some Yahoo claimed his MPG went from 39 to 50 MPG after switching over to Mobil1. See what I mean?

When using synthetic oils, don't expect an MPG increase of more then 1% or 2%. More then that is just bogus and dillusion.

By the way, when we switched from Pennzoil Dino 5W-30 to Mobil1 0W-20 and 0W-30, our Yaris provide 0 MPG increase or decrease. Nothing measurable, to be sure.

Last edited:
TODAY Toyota suggest that 2007 and 2008 Yaris use 0W-20 and 5W-20. So no need to wait for next year ;-)

By the way guys, Walmart is selling 5 qt. jugs of Mobil1 0w-30 for $21 and change. Great price!

Last edited:
even called 3 or 4 different TOYOTA service centers and spoke to HEAD TECHS about using lighter oils and the T.S.B. , they said no to the lighter oils for warranty and were not aware of the so called T.S.B. for lighter engine oil . If TOYOTA wanted owners to use lighter oils would post it at THEIR website , not at MATRIXOWNERS.com or other unofficial TOYOTA websites .

Originally Posted By: smokey1
even called 3 or 4 different TOYOTA service centers and spoke to HEAD TECHS about using lighter oils and the T.S.B. , they said no to the lighter oils for warranty and were not aware of the so called T.S.B. for lighter engine oil . If TOYOTA wanted owners to use lighter oils would post it at THEIR website , not at MATRIXOWNERS.com or other unofficial TOYOTA websites .

It was TOYOTA that authored the TSB, and not anyone else! I just called their 800 hotline AND talked via their chat feature on their toyota.com website, and BOTH empolees told me that I can use xW-20 oil in my 2007 Yaris and my daughter's 2008 Yarii.

Since your Yaris must have 5k or 6 month OCIs for the next 5 years or 60k miles (whichever comes first) I'd suggest Pennzoil yellow bottle or Mobil 5000 and save the $$ for something else.

Like gas....
smirk2.gif

Bill

0W-30 flows faster and is on sale now at Walmart for around $4.40/qt if you buy the 5qt jug.

Last edited:
It will not matter much if you use 0W30 or 5W30. Since it is M1 we are talking about any of their products will work great in your Yaris. My family and I have had nothing but great results with M1 and Toyota's so I can see no reason why you would not have like performance and durability with M1. So buy wich ever one is cheapest and easily available.You definately do not need a 0W30 for use in Michigan but it will also not hurt anyting either. Walmart normaly has OW30 and 5W30 in the 5 quart jugs in Michigan for $21-$23 depending on the region your Walmart falls into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back