Maintaining rims for best brake perf.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about bicycle rims that clamp the friction pad against the rim? I ask because your automotive rims have nothing to do with brakeing at all short of the fact that they are round and attach the rolling stock to the hubs!

Other then adjusting your drums and keeping the fluid fresh and toped of most brake systems are almost maintence free. If you get some noise then sometimes it helps to shoot some break cleaner at them but fr themost part it does not matter.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Are you talking about bicycle rims that clamp the friction pad against the rim? I ask because your automotive rims have nothing to do with brakeing at all short of the fact that they are round and attach the rolling stock to the hubs!

Other then adjusting your drums and keeping the fluid fresh and toped of most brake systems are almost maintence free. If you get some noise then sometimes it helps to shoot some break cleaner at them but fr themost part it does not matter.

Dude. Subforum = Bicycles.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Do you guys do any special cleaning of the braking surface on your rims?

I let the brake pads do the cleaning.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
My pads eat my rims.

OK. So tell us what pads you use mori.
whistle.gif

My rims are building up rubber gump - seems to correspond with a lessening of brake performance . I suspected, and common sense tells me, I should clean and slightly abrade them, you guys have helped me confirm my paranoid suspicions. I just didn't want to damage the rims, natch.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Very fine emory cloth or Scotchbrite pads work okay, just go easy.
( I love discs!)

See earlier thread.
grin2.gif

Thanks - I'll start with a Scotch.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
OK. So tell us what pads you use mori.

Alu Shields

Quote:
I just didn't want to damage the rims, natch.

The rim is a wear part. Those alloy rims can wear rapidly. Always make sure to get double-walled alloy rims, possibly the kind that has a maximum wear indicator. My bike's rims have a circumferential groove. Once the rim has worn down so the groove disappears it's time to get new rims. In case of a front brake that alone may be a good excuse for upgrading to a disc brake.

I see some rubber deposits on the rim. They cause brake squeal, but they don't seem to affect braking performance. I can easily make a controlled endo 10 times in a row without the brake losing grip. And that's with just an okay Tektro V-brake.

Hmm....never thought of bike rims as wear parts, but you are correct. I'll watch mine wear through. Strangely, my pads look ok, but I'll shop for some high wear, high squeal pads
grin2.gif

000 steel wool works well too. As others have said, go easy. If you take too much of the rim off, you can actually over heat the rims to the point of tire failure (during hard braking of course).

Last edited:
although rims are a wear item (they ARE the brake rotor as was mentioned) I have seen maybe 2 or 3 outright failures in 15 years of wrenching in bike shops. the one I remember was from a racer using lightweight rims. so don't fret too much about it, you'll never wear out a rim from braking.
what I always did on brake tune ups was use isopropyl or simple green on a rag and scrub the rim down good and if I wasn't installing new pads, I would clean them as well, and lightly sand them flat. look at your pads; you'll find them shiny w/ bits of aluminum imbedded in them. not good. make sure the brake pads are slightly toed in and contact the rim squarely and evenly.
don't discount the need to keep the cables well lubed as well. the housing wears out also, increasing friction where you DON'T want it- inside the cable.

Good information.

My pads "look" OK. However, I simply cannot get all of them meet the rim perfectly squarely. It seems no matter how and what I adjust, the pad doesn't come into range and have all surfaces make contact at t=o. Any tips? I may just get some new pads to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back