Chain Saw Bar and Chain oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice on the best value in this stuff?

Is it really a terrible thing to use regular motor oil or used motor oil for bar and chain lube?

For home use, you probably wouldn't see much difference. Some of the pros I've talked to have found significantly longer parts life and less down time when using the better products.

Hey, perhaps I can use my old non-detergent Cenex 30 wt. API SA/SB for my chain saw...(?)

Chain saw bar and chain oil is usually a Group I mineral oil of 30 weight with AW and a small amount of tackifier.

The tackifier is for cling (stickifier as I like to call it) so it wont sling off so quickly. You need some AW/EP add to save the bar groove.

Just about any bar and chain oil will work. Our local ACE sells Dolmar.

I would not use an SA or SB oil if you want the bar to last.

There is a Lawnmower and Small Engine topical section.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: harley145000
just dont use used motor oil

Motor oil is a good deal better than no oil. Proper bar oil will indeed give longer life of the components but you have to be putting a lot of hours on a saw to tell the difference.
Joe

strained used motor oil makes great bar oil. has cut hundreds of cords of firewood for me. used HDMO makes the best.
pitchy fir and dry maple takes lots of chain oil. oil is cheaper than chains and bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back