That "special" Honda ATF and power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me why Honda is so insistent that Honda/Acura owners use ONLY Honda ATF and power steering fluid?

Is it really that good. If it's just a way to get me to buy it, then please fill me in. I'm wanting to change the fluids in my RDX soon and want to use nothing but Amsoil in the diffs and transmission.

Because of this:

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2007-01-3987

The fluids are fairly specific and the OEM formulation was optimized for the component. Of course, many individuals are probably going to disagree with me.
wink.gif

Thanks Critic. I just read the tech. paper you posted. They said, "customer should not deviate from the ATF recommended in the owners manual." I will continue my research on Z-1 alternatives.

I am using a mix of 35% Amsoil ATF and 65% Royal Purple ATF in my 2007 Civic LX. So far no issues and shift quality is better than it was with Z1. I plan to do another drain/fill with Amsoil ATF sometime in August.

Nothing is wrong with the Honda Z-1,but the closest dealer is 65 miles away.Gasoline cost in addition to ATF cost.The only other choices so far are Amsoil and Dex.III.Opinions please. THANKS.

My dad ran Dex III in his Accord, and it gave very abrupt shifts due to the low friction modifier content.

However, Amsoil universal ATF should be very good in a Honda, since it is a highly friction modified ATF.

Do a board search, and read posts about how well it works in Hondas.

I've been running Amsoil in the transmission for over 30K miles but I stuck with the Honda powersteering fluid since it seems to be thicker than the others.

Good information here. Not sure what I'll do. I recall a post by Pablo essentially saying Z1 is a 2nd rate fluid at best.

My Honda is an Acura RDX and it's new. I want to do that early change (it's got 3900 miles on it) and is under warranty. So I'm not sure I'd risk the warranty using Amsoil. Of course, I'm not sure there is a warranty risk. If there is, it's probably not rational (like using 0w-20 risks warranties on cars calling for 5w-20 as other posts have indicated).

Last edited:
I don't own a Honda with an automatic so I can't comment on ATF fluids.

I do own an old Legend and use of a non-Honda spec'ed PS fluid will damage the seals and the system will begin to leak...at least according to the Acura forum I frequent. Some forum members have mistakenly introduced non-Honda spec'ed PS fluid into their systems and quickly experienced leaky racks.

Originally Posted By: junebug
Nothing is wrong with the Honda Z-1,but the closest dealer is 65 miles away.Gasoline cost in addition to ATF cost.The only other choices so far are Amsoil and Dex.III.Opinions please. THANKS.

You can try Castrol Import Multi-vehicle. Seems to work ok in my car.

Let's see what happen... as of June 28th, my Civic 2004 is now having 1/3 of Amsoil ATF in the tranny. I was supposed to use try it since 2006 ei ei but just haven't chance to do so. Since I moved to Michigan from Chicago, I have more space to do so I'll keep you posted how Amsoil's doing in my tranny. I usually fill my car with Amsoil but the Valvoline Synpower was so cheap last month at Murray's so I can't resist but bought 12 quarts for $12 after rebate...
banana2.gif

So, after change Amsoil ATF into the tranny. I can feel that it is smoother but that might be because of the new fluid so I think I have to do it two more times to get at least 80 % into the tranny. I am still observe but at this point It 's smooth and seems like it shifted better than the original Z1. It's quieter.. that what I feel.
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back