Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40, 7400mi, 97 ITR engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Car: 1996 Acura Integra SE, 1997 B18C JDM ITR motor (totally stock inside) with about 82,500 miles on the engine at the time of the change

The Oil: Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 was changed after ~7400 miles/~6 months in the engine, with about 2 liters of make-up oil added during that time, and was used with an Amsoil EaO oil filter. For a little over a month and probably 600-700 miles, the oil filter was a liiiiittle bit loose and was leaking oil, which is partially why I used two liters of make-up. I tightened the oil filter and consumption dropped a lot. The rest of the reason is that it’s a VTEC engine, and I like using VTEC...hehe...

Location/Driving: Philadelphia, PA suburbs during summer, winter, and holidays; Gettysburg, PA during the school year. Mostly highway driving during school year, mostly city driving when outside Philly, with occasional periods of very spirited driving throughout. Most of my driving is calm and normal. This interval saw a drive up to Toronto and back at the end of the summer.

Relevant Mods: No-name short ram intake with an Amsoil EaA dry air filter and a magnetic engine oil drain plug

Aluminum--------4
Chromium-------2
Iron--------------14
Copper-----------2
Lead--------------1
Tin----------------0
Molybdenum-----5
Nickel------------0
Manganese------1
Silver------------0
Titanium--------0
Potassium-------2
Boron------------6
Silicon-----------16
Sodium----------9
Calcium---------1410
Magnesium-----1109
Phosphorous----838
Zinc-------------1129
Barium----------0

SUS Visc. @ 210F----71.1
CSt Visc. @ 100C----13.23
Flashpoint in F-------415
Fuel (%)-------------- Water (%)------------0
Antifreeze (%)-------0
Insolubles------------0.3

Some misc. notes (in case they matter):
- oil was put in August, 2007, and drained February 2008
- the car runs for at least 10-15 seconds on cold starts before driving (no more than a minute)
- always babied until the engine is up to temp (no more than 3000rpm), then everyday driving is pretty much always under 3500-4000 rpm
- majority of driving is easy-going
- spirited driving is very spirited
- car sees 8000-8600rpm from time to time (during spirited driving, or just having fun here and there), but not too often. 8600rpm is the engine's stock redline.
- lots of highway/constant speed driving

Overall, I think that oil held up pretty well...I'm curious, however, to know what you all think about it and why my Magnesium is so incredibly high. Is it part of an additive?

I'm currently running GC in the engine and will post up a UOA on that when I change it. Next up is Motul X-Lite 0w30, which I'm really looking forward to.

--Brian

Previous UOA on Amsoil TSO with my old engine

Thanks for posting the UOA, from the latest Dec 2007 'Engine Oils Approved by Porsche', 8100 X-cess 5w40 and 8100 X-clean 5w40 are the only two Motul oils listed as approved. The Mg is part of the additive package.

Last edited:
The magneisium is part of the additive package. I have to say that I am under whelmed by this oils additive package for a premium speciality oil!I was expecting more ZDDP,Calcium,Boron and Moly! That amount of consumption is insane and off the charts! I sure hope it stops now that the filter is tight. I think you coul get the same results from RTS 5W40 for $16 a gallon and save yorself some serious money compared to Motul's prices! I like Motuls products a well I just do not see where it is doing anything for you in this case!

With respect to the consumption, a bunch of it occurred while the oil filter was loose...I'd say over the 600-700 miles I drove while the oil filter was loose, I likely used about 3/4 to 1 liter of make-up.

Also, Honda's VTEC engines do have a tendency of burning some oil, especially when VTEC is engaged (above 5700rpm for this engine)...so if you ask me, the consumption isn't too out of line.

Also John, when you say that you don't see where this oil is doing anything for me, are there any other reasons why you're saying that other than the consumption?

I love how honda can design these high revving engines and recommend using whatever oil you can afford and yet these engines can last well over 200k even with abusive drivers.

Oil held up pretty well but the additive pack isn't that impressive from those numbers i wouldn't waste money on motul oil in a everyday street car

There might be some advanced AW additives that the typical UOA is blind to. I would say if the consumption issue goes away this oil did its job quite effectively- especially when one considers the admitted driving style of the OP.

I really don't get on it much at all...and most of the time I do, I stay below VTEC, which is where the engine burns most of the oil that gets burned in total and a lot more gas. It does see really high RPMs from time to time though...

Overall I'm satisfied with this UOA...the numbers are relatively close all around compared to my previous UOA with TSO in my old engine...and my current one has more moving parts (in the head), oil squirters that shoot oil below the pistons (to help lube the wrist pins some more) at higher RPMs (this is what causes some of the burning while in VTEC), and can rev 1,500rpm higher.

Are you kidding me 3 quarts is darn near an oil change their is a huge difference between mild consuption and out of sight consuption.3 quarts of oil over 7500 miles is way too much to just chock it up to being a "V-Tech" engine. So lets hope it drops significantly now that the filter is not leaking! If you used one more quart you would not need to change the oil it would have already been done by default! Most cars today from Japan or Europe tend to have some form of variable valve time or valve lift or both! Yet we do not see rampant oil consumption.The oil consumption is inherient to the piston design Honda use's combined with low tension rings yadyadayada....This is also why they tend to have piston slap when they get higher milage on them. I would seriously erge you to get that oilc onsumption under control by either makeing sure your ring pack area and valve stem seals are clean and flexable or buy useing a thicker oil that is less volitile!

A couple of little corrections:

- it was 2 liters, or ~2.1 quarts...not 3 quarts
- please, please don't call it "V-Tech"...that's a company that makes cordless telephones
- as stated (a couple of times), a good amount of the consumption was from the oil filter leaking, and was fixed during that OCI, after which point oil consumption dropped significantly...

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Are you kidding me 3 quarts is darn near an oil change their is a huge difference between mild consuption and out of sight consuption.

It was 2 quarts.

So lets hope it drops significantly now that the filter is not leaking!

It did.

If you used one more quart you would not need to change the oil it would have already been done by default!

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious. Either way, that's not really true because the higher rate at which by-products build up with consumption usually offsets the additive replenishment from make-up oil.

Most cars today from Japan or Europe tend to have some form of variable valve time or valve lift or both! Yet we do not see rampant oil consumption.

He didn't say it's because of VTEC. He said the engine burns oil when VTEC is engaged because that's when the oil squirters engage.

The oil consumption is inherient to the piston design Honda use's combined with low tension rings yadyadayada....This is also why they tend to have piston slap when they get higher milage on them.

Did you just imply that all Hondas use oil?

And by the way, maybe I've been hugely sheltered but I haven't seen a single piston-slapping Honda that wasn't poorly maintained -- which can give ANY car piston slap.

Also, I think you mean low friction, not low tension, no?

I would seriously erge you to get that oilc onsumption under control by either makeing sure your ring pack area and valve stem seals are clean and flexable or buy useing a thicker oil that is less volitile!

I would urge you to use spellcheck...

You will have a hard time finding ANY Honda VTEC that doesn't burn oil when it's driven hard. My '03 RSX Type S drank oil too, about 1-1.5 quarts every 5K. And that's a fairly low consumption rate according to other people and my dealer. My RSX had a Hondata K-Pro ECU and upgraded camshafts, so I was shifting around 8600-8800rpm. Compression was 215-210-210-215 when I sold it. S2000 burn oil like that too.

My Acura dealer said Honda's official stance it 1 quart per 1000 miles for any DOHC VTEC engine.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Are you kidding me 3 quarts is darn near an oil change their is a huge difference between mild consuption and out of sight consuption.

It was 2 quarts.

So lets hope it drops significantly now that the filter is not leaking!

It did.

If you used one more quart you would not need to change the oil it would have already been done by default!

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious. Either way, that's not really true because the higher rate at which by-products build up with consumption usually offsets the additive replenishment from make-up oil.

Most cars today from Japan or Europe tend to have some form of variable valve time or valve lift or both! Yet we do not see rampant oil consumption.

He didn't say it's because of VTEC. He said the engine burns oil when VTEC is engaged because that's when the oil squirters engage.

The oil consumption is inherient to the piston design Honda use's combined with low tension rings yadyadayada....This is also why they tend to have piston slap when they get higher milage on them.

Did you just imply that all Hondas use oil?

And by the way, maybe I've been hugely sheltered but I haven't seen a single piston-slapping Honda that wasn't poorly maintained -- which can give ANY car piston slap.

Also, I think you mean low friction, not low tension, no?

I would seriously erge you to get that oilc onsumption under control by either makeing sure your ring pack area and valve stem seals are clean and flexable or buy useing a thicker oil that is less volitile!

I would urge you to use spellcheck...

I'm pretty sure he meant low-tension rings. They wear less but allow more blow-by to occur. More common on high RPM engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back