Mac vs. PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife & I were window-shopping at the new Apple store in town. I gave several Macs a look. Didn't really try anything with them, besides browsing the desktop icons. The idea of buying a Mac is sort of growing on me.

In a nutshell, what would be the pros/cons of getting a Mac for my next computer, vs. the Windows computers that most of us are used to?

Pro:
- high quality components,
- longevity,
- user friendly OS.

Con:
- more limited range of software than Windows platform(no Visual Studio, etc),
- no low end offerings so competes with higher end PC models thus is expensive.

Do you need Mac-only apps?
Unsatisfied with Win and need a change?
Want to learn a new OS?
Other reasons?

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Do you need Mac-only apps?
Unsatisfied with Win and need a change?
Want to learn a new OS?
Other reasons?

Don't have any particular NEED for Mac-only apps.
I'm not unsatisfied with Windows, just bored with it.
I'm always up for learning something new.
Other reason? - I just like the way the Mac OS looks. I also like iTunes, and it looks like most Mac programs have a similar look to them.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Don't have any particular NEED for Mac-only apps

The question is whether or not you can live with the applications that are available for Mac. For me that's not a problem, but my computer use is limited to graphics application, and my needs and wants are fully covered.

As long as I can get tax software for it, I'm not too picky. I don't do much with a computer except piddle with it anyway.

-A Mac is now like a well built PC running a "macified" *NIX OS.

-You can get the same quality out of "PC" components, just most "Big Box" stores and "bargain" systems you are going to come across won't have those components.

***note that the difference between a "PC" and "Mac" hardware-wise is negligible. Intel CPU's with Intel Chipsets running ATI or NVidia GPU's and SATA hard drives.... There is nothing "unique" hardware-wise about a MAC anymore.***

-The Mac will always cost more for the same hardware.

-OSX is a VERY nice OS. But software selection IS limited in comparison to what's available for Windows.

-There is always bootcamp.....

Don't have any particular NEED for Mac-only apps.
I'm not unsatisfied with Windows, just bored with it.
I'm always up for learning something new.
Other reason? - I just like the way the Mac OS looks. I also like iTunes, and it looks like most Mac programs have a similar look to them.

To quote my mother-in-law who got a Mac recently, "Same problems, twice the price."

If you're bored with Windows, try any flavor of Linux. You can download a bootable version of Ubuntu 8.04 that boots off a CD with no change to your hard drive - it runs entirely in RAM making no changes to your PC. If you like it, load it on your computer so you can use either Windows or Linux whichever you feel like. If you don't like it throw the CD in the trash.

I'm trying this route and like it so far. Thinking of loading Xubuntu or D... Small Linux on two old computer I have around.

Easy and free way to try/learn a new system.

"same problems twice the price" ???

Please explain that one. I have people coming to my office not wanting a PC but wanting something else, namely Mac. Everyone who buys one says how happy they are to have it as it runs so much nicer than Windows.

Originally Posted By: mormit
To quote my mother-in-law who got a Mac recently, "Same problems, twice the price."

I'll need to see your MIL's credentials.
LOL.gif

These just my opinion, have owned both mac and pc.

Mac
Pro: simple to use, reliable (fewer crashes), last a long time, less to worry about virus and spyware, no need to install software drivers
Con: range of software availability, some components proprietary, cost a bit more than pc, if monitor is built in hassle to replace

PC
Pro: lots of software to choose from, compatibility with other computers which majority are Windows based, easy to find components (cd drive, video card, etc...)
Con: viruses, spyware, computer errors, software and driver issues

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: mormit

I can't agree with that at all. I use and have both and wouldn't trade my iMacs for anything. No viruses and crashes are rare, so it's not the same problems. I've never had any problems with any of my macs and I've had many. They are more expensive, but not twice the price. They are all high-end, fully loaded machines.

I also don't agree with less software available. You can do almost everything windows can do and if there is some program you use for wok that isn't written for mac you can use boot camp.

All the main tax software and financial software is available for macs.

Some of the nice things about them is there's no need to worry about viruses and crashes are unheard of. The apps that come with them are a blast to use(especially iPhoto, GarageBand, Photo Booth and iMovie). It's real easy to be creative with these.

Load up Ubuntu 8.04 .... excellent software, fun to tinker with and it automagically installs from within Windows (it handles the partitioning for you).

The bad economy and general economic malaise combined with $4+ a gallon gas must not be affecting your family. Why? you ask. I just bought a Dell laptop with a 17" screen for a hair under $700 from the Dell outlet store. It was pristine and appeared to have never been touched by human hands. Now go take a look at how much a Mac laptop with a 17" screen costs. $1,400 MORE for a Mac laptop. If you really need a high performance laptop for demanding computer work that my basic, entry level laptop can't do then I understand, but for email, surf the internet, WP, Excel etc. why spend 2-3 times as much for an Apple product? I'm not sure what it is that the mac will do for you? Anyways, the price difference is enough justification for me to not consider an Apple computer. That's my 2 cents...

Last edited:
"Twice the price" may have only been a slight exageration on her part after taking her Mac laptop in the second time for repair. My FIL is a programmer so she does have access to someone with strong credentials.

They do cost more for equivalent spec machines. They have a more stylized look whereas the PC is a box. Higher quality? I'm not sure. Mac has had some heat problems with their machines over the years. My Mac friend goes on and on about how durable his last Mac was until the motherboard died.

Same problems means they are just as prone to lock-ups, hangs, viruses, and malware. Leap.A, BadBunny, and MacSweeper are recent examples.

I have nothing particullarly against Macs but they are just another machine. I don't think it does anyone looking into a product to toute that they are immune to such issues.

They are almost immune to such issues. Just got done working on my dad's Vista computer. Tons of spyware on the box. So much for IE being more 'secure' in Vista. He's using Firefox now.

The $1000 he dropped for this system wasn't worth it IMO. For $1100, he could have had a nice iMac and none of the O.S. & spyware headaches.

As long as I can get tax software for it, I'm not too picky. I don't do much with a computer except piddle with it anyway.

I think this is your answer here. If you don't do much with the computer anyway, why spend the extra money? Save it for gas! You also probably have some other software that you use either downloaded or purchased that can already be used on a new computer. BTW, what is wrong with the old one??
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
"same problems twice the price" ???

Please explain that one. I have people coming to my office not wanting a PC but wanting something else, namely Mac. Everyone who buys one says how happy they are to have it as it runs so much nicer than Windows.

They're comments could just be because it's a new machine and different?? I work on a Mac all day at work and come home to use my XP system. There are enough similarities that I don't believe the more user-friedly concept any more. And to be perfectly honest, I've very content with home computer.

Interesting. I just purchased an older Mac (G3) tower at Ebay. Pretty impressive how well it runs, considering the processor is slow by todays standards. This is the first Mac I ever used. There is a strong learning curve. I bought it for a friend who is having a hard time with Filemaker Pro working correctly on their PC. The files were originally set up on a Mac. Very impressed with the graphics. I would say if you are up to learning and doing some new things, a Mac may be for you. With my limited experience, I think I will concentrate on getting Filemaker Pro working and call it a day. As Danny Glover said "I am getting to old for this...". For me a Mac is not worth the time to master. It has taken over 10 years to somewhat know how to use my PC('S).
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back