General Altimax HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running these? If so, how are they?

From the TR survey and the glowing user reviews, the Altimax seems to be a turnaround product for General after the Conti takeover. The RT version recently won a track test there, so something good seems to have happened.

I have avoided Generals for nearly 30 years. But at 1/3 the cost of a similar V rated Primacy (after offer savings), I'm finding no reason not to try a set of HPs. The venerable G-009s on our 850 are about done, and we want a more comfortable GT tire this time around.

Some of "us" over on the SX4 forum, are also thinking about this brand as a replacement for our stock Bridgestone Turanza's.

One SX4 club member, removed the Bridgestone's and replaced them with the General Altimax's, just one week after purchasing the SX4. After 10,000 miles they still look new, and perform much better than the stock Turanza's, especially in the rain. It was the poor wet weather performance of the "stockers" that prompted him to replace them. He commented on how the General's balanced with less weight, and that the installer (he bought them off of TireRack) commented on the suprisingly good quality of them.

I am running them and am very pleased with them. They offer great performance and a quiet ride. Also, the max pressure possible on them is 51psi, so you have a wide range to play with for your optimum performance/shock absorption. I bought these only to run in summer, but in late fall, I'll put the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads back on. The Altimax are equally as quiet and comfortable as the GY, but with better handling.

Quiet, smooth and very capable performance are the three things I seem to keep seeing about this new tire. The only concerns I've read so far are less than spectacular deep snow performance (contrary to the TR survey), and slightly soft sidewalls. I suspect the V rated version will have improved sidewall construction.

According to the TR rep I wrote to, the Michelin Primacy is "slightly" better than the Altimax in but one area (wet/snow). He "highly recommended" either. I'm a big Michelin fan. But a set of Primacys are nearly $600 with a 60k warranty. The V rated Generals are under $200 after incentives with a 40k warranty (55k for H rated).

Seems like the Altimax HP is a moderately priced sleeper/giant killer.

MiL has the RT on her minivan and she says they are good. I have the Altimax summer tires on my Accord and they are pretty [censored] good. I'm thinking about 2 of the HP for my Mom's older Passat and 2 for my car to qualify for the rebate they have now. $50/4.

Just saw in yet another thread about these tires on the SX4club site...

TireRack is "sold-out" and won't have them in stock for 3 weeks.

Word must be spreading.

Just bought set of these tires from tirerack today because
Sam's club didn't have the Goodyear Assurance Confor Tread in stock.

Originally Posted By: tangojetta
Just bought set of these tires from tirerack today because
Sam's club didn't have the Goodyear Assurance Confor Tread in stock.

Well then, I retract my previous posting about them being sold-out.
blush.gif

Ha - funny this herd mentality - I am alos looking @ these. They are listed as a touring tire by TR but High Performance by General.

The VW Vortex board seem to have adopted the Exclaim UHP as a sleeper brand so I think for us less mod incline the Altimax seem a awesome bang for the buck.

Can't wait till TR reloads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tripleM
Ha - funny this herd mentality - I am alos looking @ these. They are listed as a touring tire by TR but High Performance by General.

Seems like a "tweener" product to me. By all reports, they ride too softly for a HP or UHP A/S tire, but seem to handle, sipe and grip better than a typical GT.

While I don't think I'd run these on my R (it loves Pilot Sports), for most normal vehicles and driving, the Altimax looks like a great compromise. The V rated price with $50 off is incredible. Some of its monitor "technology" seems a little gimmicky, though. I think wear bars and pennies still work just fine.

Hope they live up to all the hype, as I ordered a set and they're going on tomorrow. If they only last 30k, I'm still ahead on value vs. the Primacys.

I'm seriously looking at these also for my Scion tc. I wish Tirerack had more reviews, but I realize that the tire is fairly new. I've read all 112 that are there now and only a few didn't like the snow performance, but most did. Snow capability is what I'm concerned about because I'm sure that the other performance points will be adequate. My driving style is not hard.
I'll keep watching for more reviews and hope TR does a test. Unless I change my mind I'll get them before Aug 4 to get the $50 gift card. You can't beat the price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wbwanzer
Snow capability is what I'm concerned about because I'm sure that the other performance points will be adequate. My driving style is not hard.

You should seriously look into Nokian WR then. Price is the only drawback.

Well, I have them on our 850 and put some miles on them tonight. First impressions are pretty darn good.

Performance impressions of a factory fresh tire are fairly useless. But the one thing that leaps out right away is that these are VERY smooth and quiet. That may not be saying much coming off of worn out G-009s. But the ride quality is surprisingly refined. They soak up rough and broken road surfaces with finesse. It's early, but steering feel is very good, but not quite as connected as the G-009s -- as expected going from an HP to GT tire.

I'll wait a couple hundred miles before passing judgment on how these tires perform off a straight line.

The sidewalls aren't as pretty or as finished as in the sales photos, and not as nicely designed as a Michelin or GY. But I really don't care about sidewall artistry at this price point.

So far, looks like a winner.

Well at $96.00 per tire I couldn't reisist the price for a 225-60-18...plus I got a $50.00 rebate for buy 4 tires

I just put them on the Freestyle, what a big difference compare to Perelli P6s. Very quiet and smooth and I don't think Perellis were ever that quiet when they were new. My the side wall finish looks as good as any Michelin tire or Good year tire I ever had.

Last edited:
Volvohead and tangojetta - Please update this thread with your impressions as you accumulate more miles. I'm sure it will be helpful for others in addition to myself.

Thanks

I just bought some from T4L as TR didn't have them in stock till 7/18 for my size. My Falken 512's were wearing @ an accelerated pace after they hit 30k & they have been a little too slick & slow to stop for my taste.

Nothing like new shoes to help in those aspects.

fwiw, the guys on AudiWorld are loving the Altimax UHPs, very popular now. Performance is a near the best track tires for dirt cheap.

Originally Posted By: wbwanzer
I'm seriously looking at these also for my Scion tc. I wish Tirerack had more reviews, but I realize that the tire is fairly new. I've read all 112 that are there now and only a few didn't like the snow performance, but most did. Snow capability is what I'm concerned about because I'm sure that the other performance points will be adequate. My driving style is not hard.
I'll keep watching for more reviews and hope TR does a test. Unless I change my mind I'll get them before Aug 4 to get the $50 gift card. You can't beat the price.

Everyone is right, that $50 card offer makes the deal pretty sweet. They do seem like good warm weather/rainy climate tires. If there is ever a doubt or concern about winter, spend the time and money to buy winter wheels and tires and swap them every season. I have done that with most of my vehicles including my recently purchased '98 CR-V FWD. Surely it is not a performance vehicle, but I want the safety of snow tires in winter and good wet weather traction for the other 3 seasons here in Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back