Irving Oils - Revamped product line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irving Oil has revamped and expanded their product line. They still have their dino, Max 1, and Advant 5W-40; but their Max 1 synblend has been re-named 'Max 1 Advanced Severe Duty', and they have added a couple of grades to it (5W-20 and 10W-40):

http://www.irvingoil.com/pr_business/pr_...age=1&pagesize=

The BIG change, however, has been to their full synthetic line - before they only had 5W-30 and 10W-30; now they have every grade under the sun, from 5W-20 to 5W-50! The specs on all of them look pretty darn good, too:

http://www.irvingoil.com/pr_business/pr_lubs/infotech/ENG/Max1Advanced May 29, 08 .pdf

I don't have ANYTHING to do with Irving as a company; this is JUST an FYI for the board. Just thought people might like to know their are some more syn choices out there, especially the 0W-40 - this is a grade a lot of people 'look for', but don't find many choices....

Enjoy!

Yeah, not many here have. They are very 'concentrated' to the Northeast of both Canada and the US....not much effort at marketing/distributing beyond there...

I just thought it was interesting that they had added SO many grades to their synthetic line-up - if they were more available, they'd be good option to the many Shell, Mobil, Exxon, Petro-Can oils that are well thought-of on this board....

i live in NH and there are quite a few irving staions here and in maine...i think they are out of new brunswick

Yes, they are a New Brunswick based company. They have a FEW stations in Ontario, but none on this side of Kingston that I know of.

They are very well known for their "Big Stop" truck stops.

Fuels and oil are only one portion of their business, as they also are VERY heavily into the logging industry and they own Midland Trucking as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: badnews
When oil is too hard to get it isn't worth it for me to get
Amsoil for instance .

I agree totally. Besides, how much research and development could possibly go into oil that is sold by such small companies?
Remember, oil shouldn't be purchased like you would choose a wine!

these people want to sell oil well make it easy to find,i hate that when you gota hire a PI to find somthing to buy.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: BGK
Originally Posted By: badnews
When oil is too hard to get it isn't worth it for me to get
Amsoil for instance .

I agree totally. Besides, how much research and development could possibly go into oil that is sold by such small companies?
Remember, oil shouldn't be purchased like you would choose a wine!

Irving is not a "small" company, they own a number of large refineries. They are simply very east-coast oriented.

If you lived on the east coast, they are EVERYWHERE, so their products are not hard to find.

Not that I've ever actually run their oil but I'm sure it's as good as any other brand-name oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that most on here wouldn't have a chance run Irving oils, b/c of how hard they are to get. I'm in Eastern Canada, and the nearest 'Big Stop' truck stop is 1.5 hours away, and they only have 5W-40 syn in stock.

In town, 'MacEwan' gas stations carry Irving oils, and I've found ONE that had 4 liters of 5W-30 synthetic (tempting!) on the rack. So they certainly don't make their products 'easy' to acquire...

I can see that, but as I said above, Irving Oil certainly doesn't make their products that easy to find, no matter how close you are to them....

What caught my eye among the Irving Oil products was the Syn Trax synthetic 2 cycle oil. It has a VANILLA additive in it to release "a pleasant Vanilla smell" in its smoke. Interesting.

Now I know the Vanilla aroma reminds many of us guys of ours mom baking cakes in the kitchen when we were kids. A few of us, as adults, perhaps even sought out a woman who could duplicate this addicting aromas when cooking.

What I want to know is will the Vanilla smell work in reverse? What will happen when our Vanilla flavored 2 cycle aromas are released all over the neighborhood? Will every XX Chromosomed woman in the county be leaning over our back fence every week?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I know that most on here wouldn't have a chance run Irving oils, b/c of how hard they are to get. I'm in Eastern Canada, and the nearest 'Big Stop' truck stop is 1.5 hours away, and they only have 5W-40 syn in stock.

In town, 'MacEwan' gas stations carry Irving oils, and I've found ONE that had 4 liters of 5W-30 synthetic (tempting!) on the rack. So they certainly don't make their products 'easy' to acquire...

Where abouts? I used to live in New Brunswick, my wife lived in Nova Scotia, you were constantly tripping over Irving stations everywhere! Sackville has two, Amherst has two (these towns are 15 minutes apart), Aulac (between Sackville and Amherst, on the border) has a Big Stop. Moncton has SEVERAL........

As you head toward Ontario, they get less and less. Quebec has a few, but it's not like New Brunswick. Ontario has I think one or two near Cornwall?

They are also in Maine.

The one I referred to above is the one in Pembroke, Ontario. Big one, beside highway 17. They used to have a lot of 'Advant 5W-40' on the shelf, but now they have even more 'Max 1 Syn 5W-40' in its place. About $9/liter.

Irving's everywhere here in NH. Just a side note. Irving and Circle K have merged and there will no longer be any Blue Canoe convenience stores. Going to be Circle K. Still selling Irving branded gas however.

Carquest's house brand of synthetic oil here in Canada is Irving (This is posting from Northern Ontario). $36.99/5L. They have most grades. I expect it would be recycled hydrocracked, but who knows.

First oil change with it this weekend in my Subaru. We'll see how it makes it through the winter. I never have to plug in when I've run synth here before, but that was mobil 1.

Interesting. Where I live, a couple of Mobil stations converted to Irving and I had no idea who they were. One of them even converted back to Mobil after a year or so. I thought they were just a small local independent. Haven't seen any on the Cape other than those two, though.

Originally Posted By: kidinthehall
Carquest's house brand of synthetic oil here in Canada is Irving (This is posting from Northern Ontario). $36.99/5L. They have most grades. I expect it would be recycled hydrocracked, but who knows.

First oil change with it this weekend in my Subaru. We'll see how it makes it through the winter. I never have to plug in when I've run synth here before, but that was mobil 1.

Yes Carquest house brand are Irving oil clones.
Here is the PDS of there PCMOs including their 0W-20 and 0W-30 grades:

http://www.coastalbp.com/uploads/file/pdfs/Irving/Infotech_en/1.%20Passenger%20Car%20Engine%20Oils%20(5)/MAX1_ADVANCED_19nov2010.pdf

Actually their spec's are pretty mediocre with lowish VI's and CCS spec's when compared to PP and M1 for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back