Where to recycle old coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
We reciently had to put our old "vaporizer" away. We used to just leave it out in the sun to evaporate but the city said no more. Now we must have the old coolant hauled away.

Cost's $360 to have a 55gallon barrel hauled off here in SoCal.

Glycol burns very clean, but you'd have to separate the silicates, which form gels. I've never tried that. Maybe adding acid and letting it settle would remove the goo, so the water could be distilled off.

My sewer service here told me that for residential quantities to just dump it in the toilet.

So I did. So far, nobody's a come a knockin'. I have the email from them here somehwere.

Quote:

Dear Jaye,

Thank you for checking with us before you dumped antifreeze into your sewer
service.
We have Ordinances that have Prohibitions and Limitations on what can be put
into the Public Sewer System.
There are distinctions between private and commercial accounts, The dumping
of antifreeze in small amounts is not specifically addressed for private
accounts, however it is for commercial accounts.
I have discussed this with the Regional Treatment Facility and there
position is 2 (two) gallons from a private service is acceptable.

Lucky me I guess. I would recycle it, but the closest place is almost 20 miles away, and wants $5/gallon. Ain't gonna happen.

we're allowed to dump coolant down the drains at work. I see no harm in doing it at home. or just mix the coolant with the oil and return it to a place that takes oil
wink.gif

I used to flush it down the toilet, but in a place with septic systems, put the car on a slight down hill, open the tap, and keep a stream from the hose going to dilute it. It's Ethylene glycol, it isn't MEK. The rinses are even less concentrated. I just don't see the issues over antifreeze, once you protect the pets..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back