key loggers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want to use a keylogger to track family members' online activities, or are you afraid someone might find out to what Web sites you've been and what passwords you've used?

How about the low-tech approach? Bust unexpectedly into the room, drill a tiny peephole through the wall, or install a two-way mirror. Good luck!

I'm not sure what's worse: mistrusting family members, spying on them, confronting them, or not confronting them while knowing. I really believe this won't end well. The thought of spying on family members or friends never occurred to me.

Maybe he's got kids he wants to see what they do. I don't know Dave's motivation for a keylogger.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Hey kids, do that what you don't want your parents to know about at a friend's house.

Or learn how to do things that your parents don't know about, that way you can hide it. Another response would be for the parents to parent their children on what is acceptable of their behavior, along with a punishment that will stick in the event that they go against what is acceptable.

There are commercial keyloggers you can buy which will tell you everything somebody has done on a computer. Before I bought something like that I would first try to work with the people in my family and try to operate without such stuff.

Nobody likes being spied on. Your wife probably would be VERY unhappy if she found out you were spying on her-even if she was doing totally nothing wrong. Stuff like that can lead to family breakups.

I would try trusting my kids before logging every keystroke. Of course with some kids you might not have a choice. I don't know what kind of computer you use but if it has a Microsoft O/S there is free software from Microsoft that can limit internet use to certain hours of the day, etc. You can stop them from visiting some websites also. Software like that might be more understandable than a keylogger. I think that software is called Microsoft Steady State.

Explain dangers that exist on the internet to your family. Obviously you don't want for a son or daughter to be coming across disgusting characters at some chatroom site.

I thought I'd never agree with Mystic on anything. Let's savor this moment, because another one like it won't occur again very soon!
48.gif

Oh, we can agree with more than just no keyloggers! I like Macs also! A while back I was starting to get pretty upset when the word 'Computer' was dropped from Apple's name and I was starting to wonder what was going on. I did not like the idea of being left high and dry. But Apple may have 15% of the consumer computer market in the USA possibly right now and if not maybe not so long in the future. So it looks like they still still care about computers.

I like Windows and Mac and probably someday I should go with just one but I can't make up my mind which one to go with. They both have good and bad points. Even if I decided to go just with Windows I would not want for Apple to go out of business. Microsoft needs competition.

Getting back to keyloggers I feel there should be trust in a family. Now there may be a child, boy or girl, that you just can't trust. If somebody is that bad don't allow them to use the computer, or at any rate the internet. Heck, a Mac can be set up so that the child you can't trust can still have an account but can't use the internet at all. Or if a child is too young don't allow them to use the internet on their account and use the internet with them on your own account (supervised at all times). I don't like the idea of spying on people unless you simply have to. You definitely need to think twice (or several times) before spying on a wife or a girlfriend. I have seen at least one commercial keylogger at an Apple Store and I have heard there are three or four legal keyloggers for Macs that you can buy. And there are keyloggers for Windows also.

All bets are off when it comes to national security. I don't have a problem with terrorists being watched. Better that than another 9-11.

You can get software or hardware keyloggers.

Easier and best to probably get a parental control type of program like CyberPatrol or NetNanny.

Last edited:
I just purchased Network Magic. It has a feature were you receive a daily email of the websites the computers on your network have visited. Not sure if you are connecting all your computers with a router? That was a feature I do not need, but seemed like a parent my like.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I just purchased Network Magic. It has a feature were you receive a daily email of the websites the computers on your network have visited. Not sure if you are connecting all your computers with a router? That was a feature I do not need, but seemed like a parent my like.

I think the Bsafe Online's program is similar to that. You can also monitor IM's, receive an "internet log" showing all activity, and it can be installed on multiple computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back