Total Quartz 9000 5w40 in a 1600 Diesel Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there guys.
Bought this oil as recommended by a buddy. How good is this oil in a diesel ? Will it last 15 000km in my Fiesta ? Its a ACEA B3/B4 and an API CF. It carries a VW 502.00 and 505.00 spec which I have no idea waht it means. How does this differ from 505.01 in PD VW engines ? It carries a MB 229.3 and BMW LL 98 as well.

Is this a good diesel oil ? I am switching from 15w40 Delo 400 CI 4 +. I want something thinner for better cold starts and better fuel economy

Last edited:
A large oil capacity will allow longer oil change intervals as oil is abused less. I think 15000 km might be a little long.

Yes it would. I was just saying that it is not the newest and best rated oil.

Thanks for the info. Would 10 000km without a UOA be to long as well ? It does have an ACEA B4 rating which its highest light duty diesel spec

I got the oil for a really good deal and would not want it to go to waste.

I also wanted to use a better base oil from Delo 400. Is Delo 400 a Group 2+ or Group 3 oil. I heard the ISOSYN base stocks are pretty good though.

The Total is a Group 4

Just forget the API rating. Since the oil has ACEA B4 rating and has the VW pre "pumpe duse" diesel approval (VW 505.00) it should be ok for your engine. I would do 10K km OCI with that oil.

10,000 is more reasonable.

What I have been finding is Delo is or was a Group 2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bar1
Just forget the API rating. Since the oil has ACEA B4 rating and has the VW pre "pumpe duse" diesel approval (VW 505.00) it should be ok for your engine. I would do 10K km OCI with that oil.

Technically, the Pumpe Duse oil requirement for fixed intervals is 505.01. For PD's with variable service intervals, the spec is 506.01.

Of course, with some exceptions (R5 TDI & V10 TDI) 507 would cover both 505.01 and 506.01

505.00 isn't technically suitable for PD's.

Back to the question at hand, unless it's one of the newer common rail Ford diesels, 505.00 should be suitable, and should be able to last 16,000 km (since it does for the older VW TDI's, non-PD)

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: bar1

Technically, the Pumpe Duse oil requirement for fixed intervals is 505.01. For PD's with variable service intervals, the spec is 506.01.

Of course, with some exceptions (R5 TDI & V10 TDI) 507 would cover both 505.01 and 506.01

505.00 isn't technically suitable for PD's.

OT: Read my post again. I said VW 505.00 is PRE PUMPE DUSE oil. PRE = before, in front of, before, etc, etc. Of course it's not good for engines that require VW 505.01 or 506.01.

Commonrail isn't as hard on the oil as pumpe duse designs so the oil should be fine even in a commonrail setup.

Quote:
Back to the question at hand, unless it's one of the newer common rail Ford diesels, 505.00 should be suitable, and should be able to last 16,000 km (since it does for the older VW TDI's, non-PD)

It is actually one of the new common rail diesels. What if I run the oil for 10 000km?

Looks like Ford recommends Formula E 5w30, which is a semi-synthetic oil, which isn't really special (and no special oil requirements from the "research" I've done). Since it is a modern common-rail with probably after exhaust treatments, probably a low SAPS oil, like Elf Solaris LLX or Total Quartz Ineo 504/507, both which are 5w30, which ever brand is available in South Africa.

I will call VW and find out what they are using in the Toureg V10 Diesel ( I think its 507.00 spec oil )and switch to that next time.

Oh , my car has EGR but no after treatment devices

your key will be UOA determining if soot loading has gone too high (2%ish). IIRC, you use at least some F-T coal derived synfuel, which burns really clean, and ought not deplete your TBN badly.

UOA will tell the tale. Disable that EGR if you can!!!

JMH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back