What do you guys think of this MoBo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that agood thing or a bad thing that your dart board says Gigabyte? I ask because if I send a target down range with a name on it or someones likeness it is not a good a thing!!!LOL When I was a kid I would give my heavy bag(see big bag for punching) a name! It was usualy the name of the teacher I could not stand at the time!LOL

ASUS M3A-H

I recommend that one of the list. Were none of the ASUS enthusiast boards within the price range?

Not really all the really killer boards that Asus makes are like $229 or more. To be honest I have used them in the past and did not have any problems but I also did not get any wow what a deal or what a value etc..... Back then though their where a lot more Mobo companies then their are now it seems. It seems like a lot of gone out of business must be due to the global economy. The only ones that are still around that I really rember well are Asus,Abit,BioStar and Intel alot of the other companies I do not remember.It seems like a lot has changed in 7 years. I guess what I like about MSI,Gigabyte and Biostar is that they give you a lot of fetures for the money. In fact their boards are significantly cheaper then Asus. In fact when I first loged on to Newegg.com I was going to just go right to Asus and order my board I was not even going to look at the other manufactures but quriosity got the better of me. I just could not believe how much more expensive Asus was compared to the others for a comparable product. That got the cheap side of me thinnking???? Why pay $279?? for the Asus Crosshair when you can get something close for $149 from someone else. Now that the bargin hunter in me has come out I am haveing a hard time putting him back in the bottle! LOL My last AMD build 7 years ago was with an Asus boad and before that I used Soyo for some simple desk tops 486's. A company in Detroit was throwing their old computers and monitors away in the trash. I had been attending a seminar for under writeing while I was still in college. Me and my friends came back latter and took about 15 coumputers and 5 monitors and all the keyboards and mouse's we found. Everyone of those PC's was a 486 machine and not many of them where more then 2-3 years old. So we picked the best video cards and all the memory and the best modems and boards from them and built three killer machines for ourself. Then we started building machines from what was left over and selling them to students,friends and family members. We made lots of trips back tot hat dumpster. I just wish they would not have tossed the monitors in the trash since this was the main cause of monitor shortage since it broke a lot of them when they tossed them in. This was back in windows 3.1 days and DUke Nukem was all the rage! These guys even left the drives intact with operateing systems still on them! Seriously no one does that anymore. It was a mix of brands too. Some HP a lot of IBM's and some NEC's, Mitubishi branded pc's some Fujitsu etc..... I think we only got one PC that had a bad CPU and I would bet dollars to doghnuts that it's rough handleing to the dumbster was probably the cause of that!

Any who I have decided to postpone my build I do not know for how long. I need to find a new job and fast so money spending has been put on hold for none-esentials,

Well John, good luck with whichever board you choose.

I guess some of us can justify spending 250+ dollars on a mobo, and then there are those who cannot. I understand that completely. I was spoiling myself with this board intentionally.

FWIW, ASUS just did some pretty major repairs on a laptop for a client of mine. The laptop was outside of warranty since February. The client was not charged a cent for parts OR service. He was without it for a total of three business days. Toshiba took over a MONTH for a similar repair on another client's notebook, and it was well inside warranty.

There are some situations where paying the premium for an ASUS product because of the 3-year warranty on their motherboards and their very good customer service is desired and justifiable. For somebody building a home system, this may not be the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fujitsu has a service department w/o compare. My notebook failed, they over nighted me a replacement one configured the same, I swapped in my hard drive, dropped mine in the box, they overnighted it back, fixed it, overnighted it to me at a new address, as I was traveling at the time, I swapped out my HD, and sent it back, *and* they sent me an extra battery for the trouble.

All with one phone call from me to start the process originally.

Gotta love them guys.

Of course, this has nothing to do wtih Asus or Gigabyte, I just like listening to the click of my keyboard when I type.

I would imagine they would have to, given that farce that went on with their IDE hard drives years ago. I remember taking them back by the box load because the place I was working for at the time, used them religiously due to prior luck.

I have had ASUS do an overnight replacement as well, but that was INSIDE warranty. The situation I described above was an out-of-warranty repair at no charge. That is the part that impressed me.

Oh I agree you can not put a price on great customer service! Do not get me wrong if I was building this thing just as a Ultimate Johns Toy type of thing I would not be concerned over the cost. I am mostly just building this for two reasons:1) I have a perfectly good copy of XP Home just laying around that I ordered for another project that feel through. 2)I got a killer deal on that 4800+AMD 64X2 CPU. Between my laptop and my desk top I really do not need another PC but something for some mild gameing would not be bad. I do do some video editing and photo editing so it would be nice to have something with a bit more power then what I have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back