Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

The Platnium 5w-30 is already on the shelf. It has been on the market for a few weeks now.

Did it list any ACEA specs? If I can find some, I'll grab a qt and send off for a VOA.

According to the data sheet on the web site, 5w30 meets A5. The 5w30 "Ultra" (which Johnny has told us is re-labeled Shell Helix Ultra) meets A3, as does the Euro 5w40.

quote:

A 5W30 that meets A3!!! I may have to look for this in the upcoming months

It's looking good. I'm going to see if I can find it today.

Hey Johnny, not to be anal & nitpicky, but the Platinum Q&A webpage lists cold temp ratings from the old, late 90's J300 viscosity chart.

See the Link to Platinum Q&A. These are the old ratings:

0W at -30
5W at -25
10W at -20

Current ratings per the 2004 J300 Chart

0W at -35
5W at -30
10W at -25

Now that your boss has officially added BITOG to your sales territory, we'll make you work for that "fat bonus" on your commissions check!
cheers.gif

Sales territory is only Northern Wisconsin and I can only wish there were a fat bonus. But I will try to find out the answer for you.

I did find this question interesting on the Q&A page you posted:

Do you have to change the oil as per conventional oil? Now I'm going to parafrase what it says, you can read the whole thing at the link above.

"Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. Pennzoil Platinum will give you the confidence to complete the milege or time frame rcommended by the vehicle's manufacture. Pennzoil Platinum is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems.?

quote:

quote:

The Platnium 5w-30 is already on the shelf. It has been on the market for a few weeks now.

Did it list any ACEA specs? If I can find some, I'll grab a qt and send off for a VOA.

ACEA specs can be found here:
http://www.pennzoil.com/platinum/platinum_.html

When the page loads, click on the "What is Platnum?" link. Then on the resulting page click on the "Product Data Sheet" link and you'll see a chart with all of the specs for the various weights.

Well, I notified them of the mistake on the cold temp chart and they said thanks. They will correct it.

Now I have found a mistake on the Product Data Sheet. The 5W20 does meet Ford spec, but it is not checked on the box. I called them back and they said thanks again, and the correction would be made.

I told them I knew about 6,000 board members that they could hire to check everything for errors before they publish it.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Well, I notified them of the mistake on the cold temp chart and they said thanks. They will correct it.

Now I have found a mistake on the Product Data Sheet. The 5W20 does meet Ford spec, but it is not checked on the box. I called them back and they said thanks again, and the correction would be made.

I told them I knew about 6,000 board members that they could hire to check everything for errors before they publish it.
grin.gif

lol.gif
I've found a couple other erros in their data sheets as well. The VI of synthetic 5w-30 Pennzoil (not the platnium) is 12.

pat.gif
Well, since we are going to quit making that product, I won't confuse them with trying to correct it. You would certainly think that someone from the Tech or R&D would check this stuff before they let someone post it on the web.
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

quote:

Platnium is replacing the current synthetic?

Yes. I've seen typos on Redline, Mobil and Amsoil's webpages. They all do it. Redline's new website was full of them. It happens. We are a society that has become lazy with spelling and language, myself included.

Drew: Yes, the Platinum is replacing the other synthetic.

I also need to make a correction to something I said earlier. The Platinum will have a 0W20 coming out around June to meet the Honda Hybrid spec. We will not be making this product in a 0W30. Sorry for that mistake.

0w-40 would be nice, although 5w-40 even has a hard enough time catching on in the USA.
rolleyes.gif
Thanks Johnny.

quote:

Has anyone seen these yet? We need a VOA!

It's already on sale for $3.99 at my local Checker! This is the same Checker that has employees telling customers to avoid Pennzoil at all costs (can you guess the reason
banghead.gif
). Pennzoil is ALWAYS on sale there.

Checkers selling it here at $3.99. But hasn't arrived yet. On the waiting list. Got a feeling this is going to be a good synthetic oil.

If you look at the datasheet, the "American" viscosities are GF-4/SM and are only ACEA A1, while the two "Euro" viscosities are not GF-4/SM and they are ACEA A3.

The Pennzoil claim of "A ILSAC GF-4 certified, full synthetic formula which passes every major U.S., Japanese and European industry specification for gasoline powered engines." is misleading. One oil does not do it all, you can either have GF-4 or ACEA A3, not both in one oil. Not much different from Mobil 1, etc.

quote:

If you look at the datasheet, the "American" viscosities are GF-4/SM and are only ACEA A1, while the two "Euro" viscosities are not GF-4/SM and they are ACEA A3.

Not to be semantically nitpicky, but didn't you mean Specifications?

Why can't an oil meet both sets of specifications?

My hope is this oil meets or surpasses the obsolete Pennzoil "Performax."

quote:

We start with the simplest organic molecule in the universe and additively build 'em into custom length, uncontaminated, long chain molecules. And that's NOT synthesis?

Fraid not! I have closely studied the process differences between the GTL, Isomerization, PAO, and esters, and GTL and ISO do not meet the definition of a synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back