2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Where in the world is the oil going?

The oil is traveling out the exhaust. It's either volatilizing or being entrained (intact) in the PCV system and going through the combustion process. If it was going passed valve seals, then it would typically show up with telltale smoking at start up or after idling. It's not enough oil to foul plugs.

Well, if you've changed the PCV valve, just sit it out and see if the problem has gone away.

Since this occurred with the switching to a new oil, it points to the aforementioned transitional consumption. It's also possible that the PCV valve needed tending to at the same time (we're talking consumption measured over months here
21.gif
) ..but it's not likely to be from a wear origin thing.

That is, I doubt that there's any long term (wear) condition that just happened to coincide with the oil switch. You would surely (probably) have seen progressive indications with the previous oil.

If in fact you have some true blow-by issue that's not being handled by the PCV system that permanent (not due to transitional consumption) then you could do some minor surgery on the PCV system that will inhibit needless oil migration to the intake.

..but just get your money's worth out of the oil in there and see what evolves. I'm confident that you'll return to normal ..or even improved due to the shake up.

I know it's unsettling but have faith in the fact that, outside of some insult occurring (like an overheat or whatnot), there's been no "damage" to anything. The change was way too abrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back