Opinions on Valvoline DuraBlend gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it is a little late to post this, since I am waiting on the silicone on the service cover of my diff to cure, but does anyone have experience with Valvoline DuraBlend gear oil?

I picked up some 80W90 DuraBlend today. It was $5.88 a quart at Advance. I just got done dumping the factory fill on the diff. The truck has 57,000 miles. For having 57,000 miles and break in on it, the factory fill looked surprisingly good. There was much less break in junk than I remember on my old Ranger.

Also, how long should I let the Permatex Ultra Black cure? It says to leave it alone for at least two hours on the Permatex website, but the tube only says "fully cures in 24 hours." I just don't want to damage the gasket by filling the diff up too soon.

I usually let silicone set for about one hour, then put the plate on and torque it down. Let it set for another hour or two then fill the diff.

I'm not a big Valvoline fan, but the gear oil should work just fine.

I guess we should ask, what are you putting it in?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I usually let silicone set for about one hour, then put the plate on and torque it down. Let it set for another hour or two then fill the diff.

+1 to the letter.

The trick IMO is let it sit AFTER putting on the cover then put in the fluid.

Bill

I mostly followed the directions on the tube of silicone. It said to assemble the parts immediately, so I did. I put in all the bolts, but did not tighten them all the way, just enough to hold the cover securely in place and push a little bit of silicone out (as per the directions on the tube). I tightened them up after the silicone had cured a little over an hour. I waited for roughly another hour and put the fluid in. I have driven a little over 100 miles since with no leaks, so it seems to be good.

At the Napa has a Felpro catalog that has many differential gaskets .The kicker is no applications, you have to measure your diff cover and match . I found a diff cover gasket for my wifes Powerstroke ,much easier to change the oil now. I grease the gasket on the diff side to ease R and R. Where I used to work I would change 8 of our Ford service vans diff oil every Christmas week . RTV works fine but gaskets are nicer to work with.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I mostly followed the directions on the tube of silicone. It said to assemble the parts immediately, so I did. I put in all the bolts, but did not tighten them all the way, just enough to hold the cover securely in place and push a little bit of silicone out (as per the directions on the tube). I tightened them up after the silicone had cured a little over an hour. I waited for roughly another hour and put the fluid in. I have driven a little over 100 miles since with no leaks, so it seems to be good.

Every time I used the RTV I waited around 12-24 hours after tightening the covers before adding the fluid. Never had one leak.

You should be fine.

Next time I would wait a little longer before the fluid.

Bill

On my mom's Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'd put the cover back on immediately after adding Permatex black RTV. I would then torque it down, and then I would lift up the back end with my floor jack, and put a piece of paper in front of the keyhole so the car couldn't be started. I'd finish this by 6PM to 8PM.

Around 7AM the next morning, I'd pour in the new gear oil. I never had a leak from that.

That in mind, I do wish there was a simple catalog I could pick a real gasket from.

I used Valvoline Durablend (75w140) in my dodge a while back...it seemed to work as well as any. I had 201k on the truck when traded...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back