What fluid does a 2001 dodge Stratus use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be doing a flush on a 2001 dodge stratus 4 cylinder sedan with automatic transmission fluid. Does anyone know what type of fluid it would take? I am thinking ATF+4. I will be also adding 10oz of Lubeguard (high friction tranny/black bottle). I did pick up some Mopar ATF+4 from Walmart. I was able to get a few bottles of Super-Tech ATF+4, and the remainder was again Mopar ATF+4. Might the Mopar ATF+4 be synthetic fluid, or is it just regular fluid. What exactly does the term high friction mean regarding this transmission? Thanks in advance!

Regards

Last edited:
The ATF + 4 ATF's are group III ATF's.

The Lubeguard products are excellent and each type Red, Black, etc give's certain characteristics for different transmissions. Friction modifiers change the fluid to certain desired types.

I personally would use Redline's C+ ATF for your transmission!

A 2001 Dodge tranny calling for Chrysler's ATF series fluid( I have no idea what your Stratus tranny actually calls for? - I am assuming - check owner's manual or at dealer to be sure )would have called for ATF+3 originally. ATF+4 was not around then. You can certainly run ATF+4 if you wish as it is the replacement for ATF+3 and is compatible. However, you also can run any aftermarket fluid that meets ATF +3 spec's as well. ATF+4 is not required for your tranny. You have a lot of options available to you if the proper fluid is ATF +3. Nothing special about ATF+4 so IMO look to a quality aftermarket fluid like RP, Amsoil, Redline, etc... Oh, and I agree, nix the additive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! So ATF+4 is essentially an upgrade from ATF+3. I was at Advance auto the other day, and a parts counter person looked it up for me, and it came up as ATF+4. So the additive is a no go. Thanks again guys!

Do not use the LG black. It is meant to be added to Dexron to allow it to be used in place of ATF+. The ATF+4 you purchased will be great in your Dodge.

Originally Posted By: NHSilverado
A 2001 Dodge tranny calling for Chrysler's ATF series fluid( I have no idea what your Stratus tranny actually calls for? - I am assuming - check owner's manual or at dealer to be sure )would have called for ATF+3 originally. ATF+4 was not around then.

Yes, it was. ATF+4 was phased in as factory fill during the 1999 model year, except for certain mini vans. My 99 300M specs ATF+4 in the manual and on the transmission dipstick.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
A 2001 Dodge tranny calling for Chrysler's ATF series fluid( I have no idea what your Stratus tranny actually calls for? - I am assuming - check owner's manual or at dealer to be sure )would have called for ATF+3 originally. ATF+4 was not around then.

Yes, it was. ATF+4 was phased in as factory fill during the 1999 model year, except for certain mini vans. My 99 300M specs ATF+4 in the manual and on the transmission dipstick.

I had a 2001 Ram and it called for ATF+3. 1st time one of my Rams called for +4 was 03.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

I had a 2001 Ram and it called for ATF+3. 1st time one of my Rams called for +4 was 03.
21.gif

Maybe some RWD applications were still spec'd for +3, too.
21.gif

ok its an old post but my 2003 dodge stratus onwers manual says atf+4 on one page yet in the fluid chat and recomened atf oil it says diamond sp3? and scince i will be replaceing the transmission this weekend i find it irritating that mopar can not be clear as wich oil to use. and scince it is nothing more than a mitsubishi eclipse and this chart i have found at Valvoline. http://www.nordiques.com/pieces/images/cataloguepdf/applicationhuiletrans.pdf

2001-2005: Sebring coupe, Stratus Coupe use diamond sp3 i will be use that atf oil. i also called the dodge dealer and they say atf+4 maybe i sould have called Mitsubishi i think they know they products better than dodge does. 50/50 toss up. but i belive Valovine is right. yes mine is a coupe.

I have a 03 and an 04 sebring coupe made by mitsubishi. Mopar did issue an TSB in around 2002 that said to use atf+4. I had posted thet tsb several years ago and can did it out of my old post if you need it. I also use atf+4 in the power steering.

I would use the Supertech ATF +4. As you read, ATF +4 is the spec for that year and if it wasn't then ATF +4 most likely supercedes +3 making it a better fluid if you car originally called for +3.

Similar to Dex VI. It supercedes all previous fluids as it was reformulated and improved for the transmissions that GM has in their vehicles.

ok so i have been looking for the tsb that stats use atf+4. but they say for chrysler transimissions.
NOTE: ATF+4® IS COMPATIBLE WITH ATF+3 AND CAN BE USED TO TOP OFF VEHICLES THAT CURRENTLY HAVE ATF+2 OR ATF+3. DO NOT USE ATF+2 OR ATF+3 TO TOP OFF VEHICLES THAT HAVE ATF+4® FLUID.
04-06-2002
my coupe had diamond sp3 so thijs does not include mine.
also found this one.
06-06-2004. 2001 - 2002 (JR) Sebring Sedan & Convertible/Stratus Sedan
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/archive/index.php/t-39190.html
this one also dose not include the coupe. is you have the tsb that states atf+4 for the 2001-2005 coupe i would really like to see it.
i may be a bit anal on this subject but i have have gotten 206,000miles on the car. thanks for the replies and info.

Here you go!

NUMBER: 21-003-02
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: Jul. 29, 2002
SUBJECT:
ATF+4 Usage
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin provides information about ATF+4 usage in ST22 models.
MODELS:
2001 - 2003 (ST) Sebring/Stratus Coupe
DISCUSSION:
ATF+4 (type 9602) is approved for use in Sebring/Stratus Coupe power steering and automatic transaxles. The fluid is fully compatible in power steering systems and no additional maintenance information is required. When using ATF+4 in automatic transaxles, the following information is required for proper service and maintenance.
SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE
When using ATF+4 as a complete fill in Sebring/Stratus Coupe models, the maintenance for schedule A is changed to a 60,000 mile fluid replacement interval. Schedule B remains the same as listed in the owners manual. The owner should be notified about this schedule change when ATF+4 is used as a complete fill.
NOTE: USING ATF+4 FOR TOP OFF WILL NOT CHANGE THE ORIGINAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE FACTORY FILL OR ORIGINAL MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE.
GENERAL SERVICE FILL
ATF+4 is fully compatible for top off or for any transaxle service procedures that would require fluid fill or fluid replacement. Special considerations are required if a new torque converter is installed.
TORQUE CONVERTER REPLACEMENT
If a new torque converter is installed, ATF+4 can be used however, green torque converter shudder MAY be experienced. If green torque converter shudder is experienced, it will be eliminated over time as the torque converter clutches wear or burnish in. If shudder occurs, the vehicle can be driven (in torque converter partial lockup) until the condition is eliminated. If customer concerns arise due to green torque converter shudder use the following procedure.
NOTE: TO ELIMINATE ANY CONCERNS OF GREEN TORQUE CONVERTER SHUDDER, THE TRANSAXLE CAN BE FILLED WITH DIAMOND SPIII FLUID PN 05073942AA DURING THE INITIAL FILL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back