The dangers of lugging your engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice in my civic that it goes into overdrive at low speeds. It even tells you in the manual you can shift into D3 so it won!t cycle through at lower speeds. When keeping steady speeds at low speeds when it is in overdrive I am not sure if you would call it lugging or not. If you step on the gas a little for a small increase before the point where it will downshift it feels like it could be lugging but I am not sure.

How low will it take the RPMs? I mean, say you're crusing at 45 mph will it be in OD at under 2k RPMs? At that point how much throttle does it take before it'll downshift?

My Monte Carlo will shift into overdrive at low speeds bringing the RPMs down to about 1000-1050 at something like 35 mph. It could be considered lugging but since it makes more torque at idle than most 4 cylinders do at redline, I'm not worried about it.

My car does the same thing, it'll shift into OD at about 1500 rpms, 40 mph. It cruises along fine at that speed, but if I give it the slightest amount of gas, the torque converter will allow the engine to spin up to at least 2k before giving me any real kind of acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back