Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40 CJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member, been reading what i can, i have the new Ford Diesel and want to run a CJ-4, synthetic because i live in Alaska and have to deal with -30 starts at times, i have a stock motor no extra filters etc, only reason for wanting synthetic is for the cold starts, i will not extend the interval.

I have been doing allot of reading on the forum and differnt types of oil. I have seen nothing on Vavlolines Premium Blue 15W-40 or Extreme Blue 5W-40, both of witch are CJ-4 rated. The Extreme was one of the earlier synthetics to meet the CJ-4 rating, was wondering if anyone had any advice/experiance with the oil.

Only reason im considering it is due to limited resources up here, from the few places in town ive talked to, i can only get Shell Rotella, or Valvoline Premium in synthetic(or AMSOIL for $50 a gallon, no thanks) and the Rotella stuff up here is not the CJ-4 stuff yet, ive checked the stores, The valvoline Premium is on Par with price and seems to be a reputable product, and its recommended by Cummings(or says so on bottle)... Im about to put this stuff any my diesel, let me know what you know about this stuff...

thanks allot

Rob

Welcome aboard.

I think the Valvoline oils will work as well as any other. Valvoline makes some very good passenger car oils.

In the dead of winter, I'd probably use something even thinner...if you could get Shell Rotella 0w-40, I'd use that. Then maybe move up to the 5w-40 Rotella, or even 15w-40 for summer and fall. But if you're adamant about using the block heater, the 5w-40 would suffice.

Originally Posted By: jetjock15
New member, been reading what i can, i have the new Ford Diesel and want to run a CJ-4, synthetic because i live in Alaska and have to deal with -30 starts at times, i have a stock motor no extra filters etc, only reason for wanting synthetic is for the cold starts, i will not extend the interval.

I have been doing allot of reading on the forum and differnt types of oil. I have seen nothing on Vavlolines Premium Blue 15W-40 or Extreme Blue 5W-40, both of witch are CJ-4 rated. The Extreme was one of the earlier synthetics to meet the CJ-4 rating, was wondering if anyone had any advice/experiance with the oil.

Only reason im considering it is due to limited resources up here, from the few places in town ive talked to, i can only get Shell Rotella, or Valvoline Premium in synthetic(or AMSOIL for $50 a gallon, no thanks) and the Rotella stuff up here is not the CJ-4 stuff yet, ive checked the stores, The valvoline Premium is on Par with price and seems to be a reputable product, and its recommended by Cummings(or says so on bottle)... Im about to put this stuff any my diesel, let me know what you know about this stuff...

thanks allot

Rob

Might not be feasible for your situation, but if you want max cold cranking/cold weather flow performance my recommendation is if you are close to the border, head across and look for either Esso XD3 0W40, or Petro Canada Duron 5W40...these two have most other 5W40's out there beat for cold weather...Esso is probably good for colder weather of the two as it is full PAO and a 0W40. The PC isn't far behind. From there, if you're looking at 5W40's I would check out Amsoil's DEO 5W40.

Directly related to your question, VPBX is good oil. The Shell RTS is also very good if you want CJ4. Can't go wrong with either.

thanks for the replies/advice guys, please keep it coming... Once again, im looking for a cost effective synthetic and not planning to extend the interval, so i think AMSOIL stuff is out of the question, some of the best oil I agree, but without exteneded drain intervals,not worth the cost differance, I would go with the 5W-40 Rotella when the CJ-4 stuff hits our shelves, but we lag the Lower states, untill I see that stuff just making sure im good with the Valvoline, If they are both on shelves i would probably go with which was cheaper, unless i learn one is better then the other...

thanks for all the help

thanks for the replies/advice guys, please keep it coming... Once again, im looking for a cost effective synthetic and not planning to extend the interval, so i think AMSOIL stuff is out of the question, some of the best oil I agree, but without exteneded drain intervals,not worth the cost differance, I would go with the 5W-40 Rotella when the CJ-4 stuff hits our shelves, but we lag the Lower states, untill I see that stuff just making sure im good with the Valvoline, If they are both on shelves i would probably go with which was cheaper, unless i learn one is better then the other...

thanks for all the help

Best bet if RTS and VPBX are your only choices is to flip a coin and motor on...

shipping to AK is never resonable! its actually un-belivable i shipped "no contry for old men" DVD to my dad for fathers day, it was $16 for two week delivary, said they could get it there by father's day (7 days) for $60, i opted for late gift.....

its just crazy..... ive used frieght(semi) to have all my parts shipped, still costs a ton and takes months..... hey there is descent fishing in AK though!

wow ...... I didn't realize it would be so much ....I still think Schaeffer's would work great in your application, but yeah, the shipping would be unreal.

Being the largest State in the Union, your "alaska" location doesn't exactly let us know where, in Alaska. In regard to that, there's "cold" and then there's "C O L D !!!" in Alaska. Your comment of -30deg starts makes me think you'll be in some extreme cold.

But my next question would be how "hot" does it get in summer? There may be no need for you to run a 40 grade. There are some options on the markets for synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30 HDEO. Amsoil and Castrol come to mind. Still, at some point, availability and shipping would eat away at any fiscal advantage, right?

I would expect that if you can get the Valvoline synthetic 5w-40 at a reasonable price, and it's easily accessible, I'd go for it. Most any other product from Ashland Oil (the maker of Valvoline) is a decent choice; no reason to suspect this would be otherwise.

You mentioned that longer OCI's are not of interest to you. Just how many miles were you planning on for an OCI? How many total miles do you drive per year?

it only gets about70 at most in summer, i drive about 7k a year and change my oil at 5k intervals, my truck only has 8k on it, ive used rotella 15w--40 fora change at 2k and at 5k

If you have a block heater and use it everytime the truck is started in the winter, that would somewhat negate the debate over whether to use something thinner than a 5w-40.

If you're open to a little discussion, I think you can make an educated decision.

First, you said you have the "new" Ford diesel. I'll presume you mean the 6.4L PSD. I don't have one, but I believe that the "normal" service is 10k miles for that engine, and the severe is 7.5k miles. You should easily be able to do one OCI per year. Changing oil at 5k miles is likely a big waste in your scenario. Trust yourself, FoMoCo, and do a UOA; I think you'll find that 7k miles in a year is easily attainable.

You have a couple of options.
One - for that low of an OCI, and the weather not getting any hotter than 70 degF, you could consider a dino 10w-30 HDEO such as Delvac 1300 or Rotella. These should allow reasonable starts in winter, and the heat is a non-issue. This is kind of the cost conscious approach.

Two - you could go with a synthetic of grade Xw-30 or Xw-40, your choice. A bit better starting for pumpability, but certainly a bit more expensive. Here, if you can get the 5w-40 Valvoline product for a reasonable cost, it'd be a good option. With the shipping you've described, I don't see Schaeffers or Amsoil being a good alternative; high cost of product + high cost of shipping can't justify the expense over the Valvoline, most likely.

thanks allot

Rob

Rob - not sure where you got that price but DEO 5W-40 is $28 gallon, worst case. PC price is $22 per gallon. Freight is not unreasonable either. If you are near:

Anchorage, AK
3020 N. Glenn Highway
Palmer, AK 99645

And you become a PC, you can pick it up.

Thanks,

Paul

check with your local OTR truck shop or local trucking company.
they'll point you to a local source for HDEO meeting your winter cold needs.

Last winter was my first winter in Fairbanks and I ran 5w-40 RTS in my Duramax with no problem. You can get it a Wal-Mart for $16.97/gal or at Schuck's for $17.99 gal. I did start it up at -36* with no plug in and no problem due to being at remote locations for 2 days. I left my truck out all winter and had it plugged it into a timer set 4hrs prior to startup. I ran a tranny, oil pan, battery, and block heater when a plug was a available. Also NAPA has Delvac1, Delo Syn 5w-40, and your VPBX that you mention for $24-27/gal. Some of the locals at the NAPA told me that they run dino 15w-40 all year long so long as the truck has a pan heater to keep to oil above 20*. Beleive me, I was feaking out last September when I arrived to Alaska, trying to winterize a Texas diesel pickup.

Originally Posted By: DNVDMAX
Last winter was my first winter in Fairbanks and I ran 5w-40 RTS in my Duramax with no problem. You can get it a Wal-Mart for $16.97/gal or at Schuck's for $17.99 gal. I did start it up at -36* with no plug in and no problem due to being at remote locations for 2 days. I left my truck out all winter and had it plugged it into a timer set 4hrs prior to startup. I ran a tranny, oil pan, battery, and block heater when a plug was a available. Also NAPA has Delvac1, Delo Syn 5w-40, and your VPBX that you mention for $24-27/gal. Some of the locals at the NAPA told me that they run dino 15w-40 all year long so long as the truck has a pan heater to keep to oil above 20*. Beleive me, I was feaking out last September when I arrived to Alaska, trying to winterize a Texas diesel pickup.

Other diesel pickups may have had more issues in that cold- I know that the Duramax pickups start very well in the cold temps.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If you have a block heater and use it everytime the truck is started in the winter, that would somewhat negate the debate over whether to use something thinner than a 5w-40.

+1

Hi there and welcome! I always have wanted to see AK. And just so you know its Cummins not Cummings. And im surprised that Mobil is not available to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back