Opera 9.5 versus Firefox 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is no reflection on you, SrDriver, but I thought that article was very haphazard in the way it compared the two browsers. For example, simply opening a browser with 15 tabs and comparing the amount of RAM used? Worthless. Now if he had browsed to a series of websites chosen to try and exploit Firefox's memory leaks and done the same with Opera, then compared the RAM usage I would have a little more faith in his results. The feature overview was very lacking, too. Also, comparing Firefox with a bunch of publicly written add-ons using code Mozilla doesn't control vs. an off the shelf Opera is not apples-to-apples.

It's nice to know Opera has a cool new version, too, but I typically expect better quality from CNET.

I have used Opera and Firefox in the past and always found Opera to be noticeably faster than IE or Firefox. I now have tried the new Opera 9.5 and it seems to be slower in general than both Firefox or IE.

Here is the thing real world usuage should be the way you decide. Seriously I used to run Firfox and Netscapes brower at the same time downloading on the one and surfing the web on the other on a 950Mhz Athlon Thunderbird and 128Mb of ram on XP. I would often have 6-7 tabs open on the one I was surfing and downloading on the other. I never had any freeze ups and if it was haveing memory leak issues it was not bad enough to cause any noticable problems! That machine now has just under 1Gb of Ram and is litening fast. I gave it to my 9 year old.

I did use real world use to make my decision. The new Opera feels slower and FF3 feels slightly faster than IE7 (almost a toss up). I personally prefer Firefox over IE7, but not because of the speed difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back