Do they adjust octane down before adding ethanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Oregon now, we are allowed nothing but E10 fuel year round.
smirk2.gif
Knowing that alcohol adds octane to fuel, when they're mixing up a batch of "87" E10, do they actually start with a lower octane base fuel?

Good question, and I would also like to know the answer.

Now that Florida is selling E10 statewide, I've been trying to find the details now that I can no longer find 100% gasoline here.

The E10 sold here is "up to 10% ethanol" and I read that the percentage can vary from 5% to 10% depending on a number of factors. I would think that there would be no easy way for gasoline suppliers to be able to perfectly match octane ratings if they don't know exactly how much ethanol will actually be blended with the fuel. Since the octane ratings on the pump are the minimum allowable, and 87 regular has to be at least 87, they can't risk not having enough octane in the base fuel if the required amount of ethanol isn't available.

21.gif

Last edited:
I can tell you the Ethanol fuel sucks and here is my proof. We ride atvs, they come and go, but one has remained, a 1995, that used to have the range of about 45 miles on a tank, its bone stock and still is, now that range is a little over 20 miles. I talked to other people and they said the same, there range on a tank of gas is about half what it was. Nothing else changed but the gas. I have to wonder how much fuel milelage would increase without all the "fillers" they put in to make a gallon.

I agree that E10 sucks. My truck used to average 17 MPG with gasoline. Now, I'm lucky to get 14 MPG with E10.

I never thought they would mandate E10 statewide. I mean I live in Nebraska where most of the corn production is used for ethanol and you can still buy regular gasoline.

I am a supporter of ethanol because of the success the Brazillians have had. IT DOES NEED TO BE SOLD CHEAPER AND I NEED A BIGGER GAS TANK!

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
I never thought they would mandate E10 statewide.

That's Oregon for you. The *** **** hippies and yuppies in Portland control the whole state.
smirk2.gif

I can guarantee you whoever made this law does not actually know anything about ethanol's performance in an engine other than what his parrots have told him.
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
I am a supporter of ethanol because of the success the Brazillians have had.

But US and Oz aren't following the Brazilian model. we are just digging holes and filling them back in in the name of being busy.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
In Oregon now, we are allowed nothing but E10 fuel year round.
smirk2.gif
Knowing that alcohol adds octane to fuel, when they're mixing up a batch of "87" E10, do they actually start with a lower octane base fuel?

After I did a little searching, it looks like the answer to your question may be "yes" and "no", with no way to tell which areas and station are selling the enhanced octane fuel.

Ethanol Q&A

Quote:
Q:Is E10 octane 89 sometimes the "plus" at the pump?

A:The octane rating of E10 is determined by what fuel the ethanol was blended with at the terminal. Adding 10% ethanol to gasoline adds 2.5 to 3 octane points. If the stock gasoline was 87 octane, the E10 blend would be either 89 or 90 octane. Some markets use sub-octane gasoline that is 84, and when blended with ethanol, becomes standard 87 octane fuel. Most states require E10 to be labeled, but some do not. If you do not see ethanol labeled at the pump, ask the retailer. If they don’t carry it, tell them you would like to have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back