Oil for DE/Auto-x 1995 M3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjo

Hello all. I have a 95 M3 with 137k that is used mainly for auto-x and DE's (and occasionally driven to work). I have been using Castrol TWS 10w-60 for the past year, and Castrol 5w-50 before that. The 10w-60 removed alot of my ticking during hard auto-x runs. I am due for an oil change soon and wanted to change oil due to the increase in in price of 10w-60. I was going to try the Rotella 5w-40, RP 10w-40, or Mobil 1 15w-50. Anyone care to chime in? Thanks

I don't see why rotella 5w-40, delvac 1 (M1 TDT) 5w-40, or shcaeffer's 9000 5w-40 wouldnt all be great options. UOA may say otherwise though...

JMH

For that hard of use, I'd stick with the 10W-60. Some M3's have to have a 60-weight oil to prevent engine damage, but even if yours isn't one of the ones that needs it, considering the use it sees, I'd stick with the 10W-60.

Another oil I think would work well in this application would be Amsoil straight 60-weight. If you look at the specs, it basically qualifies as 20W-60; so it still has decent 'cold' specs...I think it would be a really, really interesting oil to try in this application.

Just my 2 cents, I've never owned or had much to do with BMW's, so I could be really off.....

On the S50 M3 you don't really need the 10w-60, you can use it with no downside though(other than cost). I would just use a heavy weight syn. perferably with A3 ratings.

The TWS was introduced for the S54 E46 M3, and S62 M5. As these motors we're failing due to oil starvation.

Hi BJO,

do you also belong to bimmerforums? Anyway, the TWS is a bit thick. I also have a 95 M3 with 67k on the clock and it sees mostly track time with few street miles to bed in brakes and the like. I've been running Amsoils 10w40 for the past year or two and have had no lifter tick and that is with track temps at the glen around the mid 90's. i do the extra qt of oil in the sump to ensure I don't lose pressure on sweepers, which I am sure you already know about.

I have a used oil analysis in that forum that shows the amsoil after 3k miles of all track time and some street miles with great results.

I used to run the 0-40 mobil but was burning more that I like at the track.

If you are committed to mobil 1 their reform 15w-50 could also be a choice

rob

I'm using Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 for RX clean in 2001 325 CI. already made a huge change to engine performance. I attribute FM affect as much as cleaning. Previous owner wants to know what I have done mod wise to make it run so much harder. Not telling!

rlme36, yes I am on bimmerforums with the same username.

I picked up some Rotella 5w-40 the other day and changed the oil last weekend. Drove the car once this week and the engine seems to like it. Revs are a bit quicker too. We'll see after a track day this Sunday.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I'm using Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 for RX clean in 2001 325 CI. already made a huge change to engine performance. I attribute FM affect as much as cleaning. Previous owner wants to know what I have done mod wise to make it run so much harder. Not telling!

Spintman

Do you intend to use the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 after the RX as the fill oil?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back