I Finally Went and Did It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for what should have been a good hour and a half ride with my buddy today. We agreed to begin by hitting some new trails we found and then looping back to our regular ride. 8 minutes into the ride, we hit a fairly steep climb with loose sand. He made it right up on his Stumpjumper FSR. I was on my 16 year old Cannondale hardtail, switched into my granny ring and about halfway up, my right foot slipped out of the SPD and I stopped. I looked down and my right crank and chainring were laying on the ground. I snapped off my bottom bracket axle. Read about it, heard about it, but never seen it.
I'm still about three months away from purchasing a new bike, so I'll be fixing this one. Old girl owes me nothing.

Wow! I've trashed a few but never broken one. Good thing you weren't standing on the pedals when it broke. Could have been really painful!

My buddy said exactly the same thing. I've learned that the bike climbs better and doesn't blow the rear tire away if I stay seated.

Ok, picked up my bike this morning with a new bottom bracket installed. 54 bucks. Took it out for a spin, feels smoother than ever. I guess 13 years or so is longer than Shimano projected the usage of those things.
I'll go tackle that hill tomorrow.

I had mountain biking for phys ed credit in college. What fun. Got in great shape. Blew out my crankset as well. Felt like he-man doing it.

Teacher was a 35-ish year old field hockey coach. She kept up pretty good. One guy would rocket to the top of a hill and smoke a cigg. She hated that. :)

Some hills one would have to stand, hands on those forward extention bars, or they'd flip over backwards. Was exciting to pop a wheelie then have too much torque and start slipping on a tree root etc.

I wish more educational facilities were able to offer mountain biking as an activity. In my opinion, not nearly enough people are exposed to it. I'm 42 and I think it's the greatest thing.

Picked my bike up yesterday, paid 52 bucks. Took it for a ride around the neighborhood this morning, all was well. I met up at the same place with my buddy and my stepson for a ride. Would you believe I broke one of my seat rails about 150 feet from where the bottom bracket snapped? I can't win.

Well, now I am the proud owner of an 08 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er. This thing climbs like a mountain goat. What a difference.

I just got over that hump on the picture thing. I downloaded pics to photo bucket and vialo!

I copy and pasted the link into the reply box and done.....I then use the IMG code I think is the correct one? I then copy and paste in this box. If you see the picture I used th right one.
100_2570-1.jpg

100_3448.jpg

Photobucket

Last edited:
Let me try again.

Photobucket

100_2570-1.jpg

OK! I just realized that I was playing around and resized the bike picture a while back.....I forgot and was wondering why it was so small. Anyway use copy and paste the pics from Photobucket.com it was IMG or HTML that I used. Like anything on the computer I have to play around flail a bit to learn it all.
Test out your pic posting in the test section. I will try 2 more.
HTML:

Photobucket

IMG:
100_3453.jpg

Try the IMG copy and paste.

It's absolutely amazing, the difference 3" in wheel diameter makes. It rolls so much better over everything. I'm having the time of my life on it.
I got it for significantly less than that list price. Been going to the same shop forever.
I like the 29" wheels so much, I'm going to part out my Cannondale Hardtail and build a 29er hardtail. I don't ever see any reason to go back to 26" wheels. They're definitely the answer for "Clydesdales".

Nice bike! Do you notice if the wheels and fork flex more? Or did they widen the hubs and thicken the spokes too?
I pop spokes once in a while from side loading the back wheel when diving into berms with my 01 Kona stuff, I'd think 29" wheels would be worse for this but maybe the just make them better now?
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back