Valvoline 20w20, 3500 miles, Chrysler 300M 3.5 HO

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my "experiment" with Valvoline straight 20 in my Chrysler 300M which is spec'd for 10w30. Oil saw the gamut of temps from the mid teens to 100+ and 90% of the driving was short trips of under ten miles.

Terry said he's very impressed with this Valvoline SM straight grade formulation. Wear is down across the board, especially bearing wear. (Confirmation that no more bearing rattle on start up with straight weight actually means something?) Vis is a solid 8.5, which is what this oil starts with, so no shearing took place at all (thanks to no VI improvers).

I think this UOA confirms my suspicion that if you live in a moderate climate, and your engine is spec'd for 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30, then straight 20 is a viable alternative.

NB: Previous UOA was Havoline 5w20.

20w20UOA.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great GMAN. Where you able to find out whether they are still making this oil?

I'm not sure I would say wear has been significantly reduced based on 3 samples but it's definitely a slight improvement.

Most synthetic 0w-20's shouldn't contain much if any VII's. For conventional oils, they are probably using more.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm not sure I would say wear has been significantly reduced based on 3 samples but it's definitely a slight improvement.

Lead went from 14 to 2 and you don't think that's "significant"?
smirk2.gif

I've seen samples where metals jump around all over the place. It's significant sure, but only one UOA. Give it time. You need to "trend" in order for UOA's to be valuable. You should know that by now GMAN.

Lead is down - Fe is too, and when you figure 1.4 ppm per kmile vs. 1.8 per k...perhaps above the noise level. The thing to note is your fuel seems to be in control now.

No tribologist I know of, or lube engineer, would claim victory for an oil after 3 samples. Especially when you're talking about 14ppm vs 7 vs 2. However, it does look like the straight grade is workig better so far.

Get off your high horse. Nobody "clamed victory." It was just a noticeable improvement across the board, outside of maybe TBN.

I'm not on any high horse. LOL It's a nice improvement across the board. You obviously don't know how to read.

Reminds of the years past when we used mostly straight wt oils. When the multi's came out, we burned up a few engines, course oils were not as good as they are today.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Lead is down - Fe is too, and when you figure 1.4 ppm per kmile vs. 1.8 per k...perhaps above the noise level. The thing to note is your fuel seems to be in control now.

Probably because fresh plugs were installed just before this oil went in.

I am convinced, however, that oils without VI improvers handle fuel dilution better.

Flash point is up. Might that mean that the oil handled fuel dilution better? Ops, I see about 1/2 the fuel in the oil which in my mind means the wear should be less, especially for Fe, Cu and Pb? Was the car driven much easer and that would account for the "improved" wear values? No expert me but, I needed to ask these questions when I see such glowing comments either, good or bad.

Last edited:
Looks like a very good report...Have you noticed it being any harder to start with the heavier cold weight ?

Originally Posted By: whitesands
Looks like a very good report...Have you noticed it being any harder to start with the heavier cold weight ?

None whatsoever vs 10w30.

Originally Posted By: Dale_Knight
Was there any comment as to why the V40C viscosity increased.

Also was there any noticable fuel economy difference between the various grades of oil.

The other oils were 5w20, so they are naturally going to be thinner at 40C than a straight 20.

MPG was down about 2 pts in city driving.

Last edited:
When I was growing up we had a '77 Chevy full size van my dad bought new. He always ran 20W20 in it and did for 10 years until he sold it in '87. He used it year round in Michigan.

I've personally used straight 30wt in cars before but when it gets below freezing it is definitely noticable that it is too thick when cold. Slow to crank and sluggish when cold. I've never ran them past November.

I'll agree it looks to be as good or better than the other oils but more UOA's would make it more concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back