Seafoam experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ziggy
Wait, your not supposed to put B12 in the crankcase? I have a few cans, and belive i says NOT to do that. I used B12 as a flush few years ago, but, the engine was still hot...95 plymouth neon. Upon pouring the can in, heard weaird noises coming form the engine inside... like metal was cracking or someting.

I tend to agree with them!!! However, this warning has only appeared over the last year or so. The risk of screwing up something is very good. Yes, the last time I tried the stuff I heard a momentary "squeak, squeak" when I cranked the car.

Quote:
SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications
Cleans catalytic converter odors

I was going to take that as a tacit claim that it was converter safe. Unfortunately there are way too many claims that SeaFoam destroyed peoples' catalytics so I decided that claim or no claim, Seafoam isn't as safe for cats as it should be. Besides, there's better stuff for less especially since I'm not in a hurry.

537 miles and roughly 1/2 quart consumption on 10W 40 HM. The same or higher than before the seafoam flush and regular 10 W 30 and STP. Will check again at 1000 miles on the OCI.

B`1 will not hurt O2 sensors or cat alytic converters. I have used B12 since 1991 and every vechile I have owned has had injection,o2 and catalytic converter and I have yet to have any issues. If you look at the ingredients in B12 none of them are harmful to any of the parts you are concerned with they are regular hydrocarbons nothing exotic. Their is not a solvent based flush on this planet that will work as well my recomendation of fresh 15W40 HDDEO,Fresh filter and one can of B12 in a 4-6 quart sump pan! It works and it works great!

Oh I have gone so far as to spray B12 into clogged up dirty cats for friends and it has always cleaned them up. I also have sprayed super clean and endinge degreaser into cats and then rinsed with hose to help clean them up as a last resort to replaceing them. I have yet to destroy a cat with anything I have put into them! I mean it is rare earth metals plated to wire mesh or ceramic substrate what are you going to do to hurt it????

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
B`1 will not hurt O2 sensors or cat alytic converters. I have used B12 since 1991 and every vechile I have owned has had injection,o2 and catalytic converter and I have yet to have any issues. If you look at the ingredients in B12 none of them are harmful to any of the parts you are concerned with they are regular hydrocarbons nothing exotic. Their is not a solvent based flush on this planet that will work as well my recomendation of fresh 15W40 HDDEO,Fresh filter and one can of B12 in a 4-6 quart sump pan! It works and it works great!

Yep i can vouch for john and his treatment,i read it a year ago
i think and tried it(15W40 HDDEO,Fresh filter and one can of B12 in a 4 quart sump),and it worked great,should have seen the [censored] it cleaned and what the filter caught,B12 works and didn't harm anything on my truck..

I wouldn't give that as a blanket statement about crankcase use. It made some mean noises for me in the past. But I fully endorse combustion chamber cleaning with it!

OK, only B12 I know about is a vitamin. WHat is this B12 stuff? I looked at schuck's and my local tru-value today, they had seafoam, but nothing that obviously looked B12'ish ...

I have used seafoam in my motorcycle, and that was quite amusing... But it worked good.

Duh, it just dawned on me I have put seafoam in the gas used to mix all my 2 cycle equipment ratios, including an ATV, and have done it for years. I have not had any lubrication problems in that equipment. Maybe it is safe in the crankcase.

I will have a consumption update shortly.

Originally Posted By: MrCPU
OK, only B12 I know about is a vitamin. WHat is this B12 stuff? I looked at schuck's and my local tru-value today, they had seafoam, but nothing that obviously looked B12'ish ...

I have used seafoam in my motorcycle, and that was quite amusing... But it worked good.

You can get B-12 at Wally World.

1000 mile consumption is just over 1/2 quart (It was just under 1/2 quart at 500. That is as well as this car has done since purchased with 46K on the odometer. The worst consumption was strait 5w 30, no additives and no flush, and 1.5 quarts per 1000. That had me convinced it was a mechanical problem. My son had it down to .75-1 quart per 1000 using STP and 10W 30.

The problem with not using controls, is what is helping? Did the Seafoam free something up?...or is the maxlife 10w-40 having some effect? The only other modifier, (other than new brakes) was that I put clamps on the PVC line at the valve and crankcase. A tip at a Ford truck website mentioned lines can bellow.

I will check back at 2000 miles.

Quote:
The worst consumption was strait 5w 30, no additives and no flush, and 1.5 quarts per 1000. That had me convinced it was a mechanical problem. My son had it down to .75-1 quart per 1000 using STP and 10W 30.

Getting in late here.

Is all your consumption linear? That is, is it always a fixed amount per 1000 (or whatever) miles? You report it as so, but that may be just the way you integrate it.

My Caravan 3.0 Mitsubishi consumed zero oil for 3000 miles ..then consumed it routinely. After the 2nd quart of consumption I would figure it was time to change it. Newer oils (some lighter - some heavier) showed no consumption.

If it's always a fixed amount over a given mileage (up or down), then it points to a inherent condition that is always going to be there. The oil selection (or "adds") merely reduce its impact. Now it could be a design flaw in the PCV system ..or whatever.

If it's a progressive thing, then it's some property of the oil that fatigues.

Gary,

In the past the consumption increased with age on the oil, or an increase in highway driving. I assumed rings, and contamination of the oil, "thinning" it. My son has tried Restore and STP, that are less effective later in the change. I am curious to see what happens the next 1000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti

Brake booster line it is this weekend, I really want to upset my neighbors! Seriously, Even without clouds of smoke, it has smoothed out the choppy idle in the stratus. I may leave the Stratus alone, but try it through the Intrepid brake line. Any O2 sensor issues out there?

Don't use the brake line on the Intrepid. You'll only treat half of the cylinders. Use the emission system vacuum port that is right on the throttle body - then you'll get all of the cylinders. This applies to the 2.7 and the 3.5.

So when you have the engine suck in seafoam, is it also supposed to clean the intake runners?If it is supposed to,how is that gunk going to be removed after the soaking? also, would it help any if you poured b12 down the spark plug hole and let it sit overnight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back