What is the best oil to use in a RSX type-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i have a 04 RSX type-S i just bought. I been through three oil changes, i want to put nothing but the best in my car, so i been useing AMSOIL 5W-30 with a Honda Filter.. Now on the last LOF i put Mobil 1 Syn with a K&N filter becuase i heard the US honda filter wasn't that great.. I race it at the track from time to time and i do a lot of Highway driving.. Thinking about Royal Purple? Anything better to use? 5w-30 is that the way to go? Thank you for any help

5-30 if you are not burning oil
if so i would move it up to 10-30
Amsoil was a good choice.
my next choice would be pennzoil platinum

Are there any mods on the car? How is the oil consumption? A lot of guy w/RSX-S burn oil especially with Mobil 1. IF you are getting a good result with AMSoil, that's great but you should be runnig it out to at least 6000 miles to get some use out of it. Myself, in this type of engine/car I like MaxLife or Pennzoil 30 weight. Synthetic 30 weight just does not appeal to me since it's such an easy viscosity to formulate for, that is you don't need synth base to make it and the $10-$12 a gallon jugs of dino oil out there work great in the sub-10k miles Honda application.

"Best oil" is kind of a wierd concept in itself. Define "best" and go from there, imo.

If I *was* paying full price for synth, either use it for a good long time or more appropriately use it for a slightly thicker viscosity it offers in oil like Mobil 1 0w-40, German Syntec 0w-30, MaxLife Synth 30, Mobil 1 10w-30 Hi-Miles.

If you are burning oil like some of the RSX guys I knew, AMSoil 5w-30 is not really the way to go. I put a bunch of Mobil 1 burners on MaxLife 30 and 40 and it solved that issue for them. It's hard to beat AMSoil, but slightly thicker oil and dino/HM in general just seem to work better.

Originally Posted By: MarksRSX
Hi i have a 04 RSX type-S i just bought. I been through three oil changes, i want to put nothing but the best in my car, so i been useing AMSOIL 5W-30 with a Honda Filter.. Now on the last LOF i put Mobil 1 Syn with a K&N filter becuase i heard the US honda filter wasn't that great.. I race it at the track from time to time and i do a lot of Highway driving.. Thinking about Royal Purple? Anything better to use? 5w-30 is that the way to go? Thank you for any help
What makes any of the products you listed the best?

If you are using Amsoil, I would use the Amsoil Eao filter. It is a great filter and Amsoil is a wonderful product. Keep using it.

Hmmm, a topic I finally know something about.

In my '03 RSX.S, I ran Mobil 1 at the first oil change up until about 25K, then I switched to PP. Always used the Honda HAMP filters, or OEM Honda in a pinch. OCIs were around 5-6K. My car was pretty well modded too. Any good shelf synthetic will do. I just didn't trust dino to the constant shear and heat of 8000rpms. It had about 70k when I sold it and didn't burn a drop of oil.

The oil consumption is usually related to the break in procedure. I drove mine like an arthritic grandma for about 1000 miles, then slowly picked up the pace. It was still turning in 14 flat quarter miles at a tick over 100 when I sold it.

Last edited:
I am using Royal Purple in my RSX with pure one filter.

Cant go wrong with RP or Amsoil. In my TL right now I am using Amsoil ASL with K&N filter.

I drive a lightly modded 2003 RSX-S. It gets autocrossed about 10+ times per year and until I moved to Eastern Ontario, it went through sub-arctic winters in Central Canada.

I broke my car in just like the manual said, and the way zulu did it and it still burns oil.

First used Mobil 1 5W30 Supersyn for a number of oil changes and then I switched to Amsoil 0W30 Series 2000. My car seemed to practically "drink" both oils. I recently made the switch to German Castrol 0W30 and the burning is significantly better. I am contemplating switching to Esso XD3 0w30 since I can buy it in bulk from a local distributor.

If your RSX burns oil, I would recommend either GC or XD3. As for filters, the Amsoil one seems to be pretty good.

Quote:
I broke my car in just like the manual said, and the way zulu did it and it still burns oil

Maybe a more aggressive break-in would have helped with oil consumption?
21.gif

My RSX was a Base model, using zero oil. I used mostly 20 weights, but did run GC the last summer I had it. From my expoerience, GC is about the lowest burning oil, evar.

I spent a lot of time on clubrsx.com adressing oil consumption issues with guys (& girls). Everyone seemed to be using 30 weights and the worst case burners were mostly using Mobil 1 and some Royal Purple. Yes, this engine car use some oil by design, but I think they suffered from severe "cold-start and hammer it" treatment. Ceasing that treatment helped some but the damage was done. People were going through piston rings under goodwill warranty. Swapping up to a thicker 30 synth like GC or dino 10w-40 helped out in many many cases. The most heavily modded cars really needed a stout 5w-40 HD synth and were getting sheard-out and fuel-dilluted Mobil 1 30 weight. No wonder Acura dropped the model, more trouble than it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back