new vehicle...need stats; 2008 Chevy Equinox 3.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Chevy Equinox 3.4L V6 w/ 5 speed auto tranny & 'oil life monitoring system'

I need a few stats; this thing comes with a 5 year/100K powertrain warranty that I don't want to screw with, but the [censored] oil life monitor is most likely programmed to work with oil that is 'statistically' setup as conventional; eventually after break in I would like to use synthetic...or the closest thing that the American market has that meets synthetic specifications;

is there anyway to get the oil life monitor to recognize that a synthetic or semisynthetic is on board vs a conventional base?

the other thing I am curious about is this...I have a few cans left over from the Subaru dealership of BG MOA oil additive that they sell separately or recommend/install at oil changes with customer approval;

I basically started using this stuff 2 or 3 times/year for a depsosit removal/control on a 1999 that was a hand-me-down among the family...what's the concensus on this stuff?

Quote:
is there anyway to get the oil life monitor to recognize that a synthetic or semisynthetic is on board vs a conventional base?

Nope. The mfg does not require it so they program it for excellent conventional oil.

I'd use 5w-30 and follow it. Every UOA we have seen has the OLM being right on.

I wish my subaru and toyota had OLMs.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Synthetics provide....

longer use
cleaner engine
more extreme +/- temp protection

He has a warranty to worry about so that cancels the "longer" use.

If you change the oil when the OLM states, no problems with dirty motors. (I've never had a problem with yesterdays conventionals and 200k+ motors being dirty or not running well, with todays oils no worries)

I've had conventional oils in well below zero and well above 110 degrees with no problems for over 30 years.

There are more engines out there with more miles using conventional oils than syn.

If the MFG states that you HAVE to run syn, great. But WANT is different than NEED.

Most of the engines out there will last and have a nice long well protected life using todays EXCELLENT conventional oils.

Buy any oil (conventional or syn) when on sale and get on with it!

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: lostwrench
I would be more worried about the Chinese engine in that Equinox than which oil to use.

Really?
shocked2.gif

That, and the 3.4 was never really great to begin with. They almost always have an intake manifold gasket fail, and then get coolant in the oil.

Well, The current 3.4 dosen't share an intake or valve train with the older style. It has updated internals. A roller cam and the intake problem has been fixed.
A 3.4 even the older generation will last a long time.
Problem with the older ones were the gaskets the 3.1 had the same problem, if it were the Dex cool everything that used it would have the problem and this is not the case.
Engine made in China, tranny made in Japan.
Just like truck motors Made in Mexico or Canada. Have to out source to compete, which does suck.
At anyrate. I run Mobil 1 in mine change every 3000 miles with an AC Delco filter.
I have 60,000 trouble free miles so far.

I actually have an 08 AWD Equinox w/ the 3.4L. Bought it last January due to soraing fuel costs. Replaced a 2007(NBS) Silverado with the Equinox and so far so good. It has been a very good vehicle. The intake gasket issue is LONG gone. Hasn't been an issue on the Equinox and most definitely not a 2008. Older 3.4L's with that issue. The big issue with all year Equinox's is a water leak in the rear. Even the 08's still have it at times. Water leaks into the spare tire compartment and even under the rear seat onto the rug.

I am coming up on 4K on the current oil( 5W-30 GTX that I used when I changed out the OEM [censored] at 900 miles )and the OLM is at 45%. I do about 55-60% City driving( ie; under 40 MPH )and the rest is 45-60 MPH driving. I see 7500 miles based on the OLM easy and possibly more if you do more highway driving( reasonable speed not 80+ ).

I myself will do my OC's at 5K. I will swap to synthetic 5W-30 at 5K and then do my OC's every 5K thereafter. I won't go by the OLM unless for some reason it runs out early( ie; before 5K ).

As others have said you won't be able to modify the OLM.

I have never used the OLM. My 00 Trans Am has one, I have just never trusted it. I change the oil every 3000 miles regardless. Maybe I am goof for that, but it cheaper and eaiser than swapping out a motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back