MOBIL1 0W40 or 15W50 for Porsche 993?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Kang - Of course you are correct. A certain "respected" promoter of Brad Penn lubricants has now moderated his stance. He was promoting doom and gloom over API's SM and CG-4 rated lubricants

This has caused much "fear" in closed Porsche circles and is largely unfounded. He sold lots of Brad Penn lubricant though

His concentration on one or two components in a lubricant's formulation was at the least foolhardy and ill advised! Three years of the API's SM and CJ-4 rated lubricants has proven them to be excellent at their intended tasks

Porsche engine lubricants are however driven by ACEA's standards and preclude all mineral lubricants (>MY84) - and for very sound reasons!!

When lubricants are used as Porsche's Engineers dictate (and synthetic lubricants with ACEA A3/B3 and SAE40 viscosity is the base line for those using non Approved lubricants(M1 5W-50 excepted)) then Porsche engines are reliable and have no excessive wear rates in their WW market place

In early engines (<MY84) 15W-40 "mixed fleet" HDEOs work very well indeed - the Brand matters little!

Yes, the guy from Inengineering.com has been spreading a lot of bad info IMO. He may have good intentions, but he is in way over his head with this stuff.

tilley,

Actually I did get a first look at my cams at about 180K miles when I did valve adjust.

This was after about 5K miles on ~800ppm ZDDP oils.

They looked GREAT despite high miles. Polished smooth where the rocker foot slides on the lob but no pitting or wear evident.

That's not much mileage though and my next checkpoint is a valve adjust which 'should' be a year from now which will be at ~25K miles of 800ppm ZDDP. I'm not concerned. I'll try to get pictures & post.

Yea, I studied all the LN Engineering write-ups on oil. Read it carefully and check where the 1200ppm target comes from. This may apply in non-stock (ie. very high cam lift rates and springs) and/or racing where rebuilds are very often. Look at the stuff they sell...not the stock crowd.

Originally Posted By: glenncof
tilley,

Actually I did get a first look at my cams at about 180K miles when I did valve adjust.

This was after about 5K miles on ~800ppm ZDDP oils.

They looked GREAT despite high miles. Polished smooth where the rocker foot slides on the lob but no pitting or wear evident.

That's not much mileage though and my next checkpoint is a valve adjust which 'should' be a year from now which will be at ~25K miles of 800ppm ZDDP. I'm not concerned. I'll try to get pictures & post.

Yea, I studied all the LN Engineering write-ups on oil. Read it carefully and check where the 1200ppm target comes from. This may apply in non-stock (ie. very high cam lift rates and springs) and/or racing where rebuilds are very often. Look at the stuff they sell...not the stock crowd.

Thanks for the report glencof. I'll be checking this thread in about a year for a report on your next look! Cheers.

I believe the same guy from LN Engineering was a member on here and tried telling everyone M1 has no ZDP anymore. Where do these people come from?
smirk2.gif

I have a 1995 993 with 77k miles. I obtained it at 60k miles and it has been running 5w40 Pentosin PentoHigh performance synth exclusively.

The shop where I take it has recently switched to LubroMoly 5w40 and have told me both are fine German brands, the reason for the switch is the cost to them.

Does anyone with Porsche/air cooled/993 knowledge have any input on either or both of these ?

I am new to the oil debate regarding ZDDP and so forth.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: DB_NC
I have a 1995 993 with 77k miles. I obtained it at 60k miles and it has been running 5w40 Pentosin PentoHigh performance synth exclusively.

The shop where I take it has recently switched to LubroMoly 5w40 and have told me both are fine German brands, the reason for the switch is the cost to them.

Does anyone with Porsche/air cooled/993 knowledge have any input on either or both of these ?

I am new to the oil debate regarding ZDDP and so forth.

Thanks!

Lubro-moly makes great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back