Red Line SI-1 continuous treat = increased wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about using Red Line SI-1 on a continuous basis. The recommended treat rate for continuous use is 1/3 to 1/6 ounce per gallon. My Civic had a 13.2 gallon tank, so I would add about 4 ounces of SI-1 each time I fill my tank. Before posting this, I read all of the information about SI-1 on the Red Line site and have performed a search here. There was a recent thread about how impressed the OP was with SI-1 when compared to other products.

My main concern is the potential for increased wear if I use SI-1 on a continuous basis. Red Line states that SI-1 will not corrode engine bearings, but I am not sure if it will break down the oil over time. Oil breakdown could very easily lead to increased wear, but there was nothing in Red Line's literature on SI-1 that dismissed this possibility. SI-1 contains a solvent, which is something that folks here seem to shy away from except for periodic cleaning. Should I be concerned about using SI-1 at the recommended continuous treat rate?

Here is information from the MSDS for SI-1:

30 - 50% PolyEther Amine

1-10% Isooctanol

5-20% Aliphatic Naphtha

Last edited:
I just sent an email to Red Line about this. I will post their reply when/if they send one.

I usually use it when I go on long trips so it barely gets into the motor oil to do anything.

I do 600km trips every couple of months at 100km/h so its all good.

I figured that it is OK to use SI-1 on a continuous basis as long as I stick to their recommended treat rate. I just wanted to be sure that doing so would not lead to increased wear due to a breakdown of engine oil viscosity.

They used to sell SI-2 I think it was which was the non-concentrated every tank use version of the same stuff which carried the BMW lifetime intake cleanliness additive part number. Use the SI-1 using the the marks on the side for the amount of gas added and sleep tight knowing you will have one of the cleaning intakes in town and wear will not be an issue.

Yes I was very impressed with the redline and will continue to use it. Plus it's cheaper than the techron at checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back