2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 - Amsoil 5w-30 4,292 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you're not trying to argue, but if you ask a lot of people, even "qualified" technicians, they know nothing of the difference between propylene and ethylene glycol coolants.

Too Slick/TeeDub used to explain a lot about how propylene glycol does not turn into an acidic sludge and corrode the bearings. One poster (oilboy-something I believe) on here had an advertisement that contained a study showing that 1/2-1% of ethlyene glycol began causing rapid bearing wear, while 8% of propylene glycol showed no change in bearing wear. So that's what I'm referring to by "not nearly as rough."

Quote:
I would think the EPA would be testing the fuel for lead.

Haha, that's what you get for thinking.
11.gif

I would still think you should hunt down the high Si a bit. A super dirty filter could cause more air to be pulled in via another leak, but that is more theory than fact. Most people's air filters are not dirty enough to be restrictive.

I have poked around in 2 vehicles for something causing high Si, odly I found a possibility in each, but in the end the next UOA was no better as far as Si was concerned even though I found and fixed something.

I agree Amsoil is a good oil but 10.8 after 18 mos and 4k looks erroneous. .02.

Keep in mind that this was the Superior lab at Amsoil, not the standard OAI lab, so perhaps their TBN methods are different.

Didn't OAI change their methods, or use a more accurate form of finding the TBN? If so, the TBN might be more around 8 or so, which is still mighty good given the time and type of car usage. Either way, it proved that 2+ year OCIs are possible, which is in my future intentions if the car usage stays the same.

The only problem I have with any real extended OCI (I think 2 years would be long) is *if* something happened (like a coolant leak, even small) changing the oil more often (like every 6 months) at least you are getting bad stuff out and replacing the additives.

In a known engine where most of them have issues (Sentra for example), (for me) I would never do an extended OCI.

I'd still be real concerned where/how the lead is so high.

If anything what is the lead doing to the O2/Cats?

Quote:
So no one remembers the high lead in Georgia UOA's? There were a series of them.

I do, but that was a long time ago...

Take care, bill

Sure,it's probably right given Amsoil has a high beginning tbn. It just struck me as high. Most of today's top oils will run a long time,it's the contaminates that a driver's combination of engine and driving route put into the oil that trashes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back