XP for budget systems resurrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/03/windows_xp_license_extension_take_two/

XP home has been extended for cheapo systems until 2010; quite a testimony to how well Vista must run on these systems.

Quote:

Microsoft has been under considerable pressure from computer makers to keep XP licensing available for budget systems. The last-gen OS was originally set for total extinction in June, 2008 — but the popularity of smaller boxes which lack the resources to run Vista adequately has given Microsoft reason to rethink its decision. Faced with either bumping the expiration date or letting Linux eat the entire emerging market, Microsoft has chosen to let Vista play the fall guy again.

Last edited:
Dunno why these little computers don't just run Ubuntu or something made specifically for these slower systems. No one needs Direct X 10.x on these things. Just a simple footprint OS, BeOS would be the home-run.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Dunno why these little computers don't just run Ubuntu or something made specifically for these slower systems. No one needs Direct X 10.x on these things. Just a simple footprint OS, BeOS would be the home-run.

On my older laptop XP runs and boots much faster than Ubuntu.

great news for the little guy (me), I use windows xp on budget systems. Bill gates owns me, I'm too lazy to learn a new operating system. lol

http://blogs.computerworld.com/will_linux_force_microsoft_to_give_xp_pro_more_life

I thought this commentary was quite amusing; Vaughn-Nichols is a certified Linux fanboi, but his logic seems pretty good on the possibility of XP pro being extended.

Quote:

The boys from Redmond seem to be in denial. Let me go over the fundamentals for them. 1) Vista is a flop; 2) People want comparatively low-powered, inexpensive computers; 3) Linux runs greats on these PCs; 4) Nothing Microsoft has, except for XP, will run on these PCs; and 5) Microsoft seems to think that only consumers will want these tiny laptops.

Wrong.

Business users are going to eat these PCs up. Intel estimates that 37% of its Atom-powered UMPCs will have Mobile WiMax on them. I can see businesses snatching these up as fast as they come out.

And, you know what? Every business is going to buy their systems, whether its from Asus, Acer, Dell or HP, will be running Linux.

Why? Because XP Home is useless on any kind of business network.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

Which version of Ubuntu did you try? If you were running the Gnome Version under Appearances, Visual Effects, did you set them to None?

Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop and is well suited for an older computer.

Link to Xubuntu

Many of the same stories one hears about Vista are the same as when Windows XP came out.

I run the 64 bit version of Vista and Ubuntu in a dual boot mode and have no issues with them. Both require some tweaking as did XP for the best performance.

Quote:
Many of the same stories one hears about Vista are the same as when Windows XP came out.

The difference is that there was a very sizable number of people who went out and bought XP to install on computers that they already had because they were glad to be rid of 98 and ME. XP was a real improvement.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver

Quote:

Which version of Ubuntu did you try? If you were running the Gnome Version under Appearances, Visual Effects, did you set them to None?

Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop and is well suited for an older computer.

I first installed Xubuntu 8.04 and suspend and hibernate didn't work. I then installed Ubuntu and all worked well, but slooow.

Visual effect were shut off and I even installed longrun to optimize my Crusoe processor.. still a pig. When time permits I will install Puppy Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back