I am smelling coolant but not seeing it or leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Taurus w/ 3.0 Vulcan. It currently has 68,8XX miles and runs great (knock on wood). I live in west central Illinois and we have been having a few high 80 and low 90 degree days lately. Around 2 weeks ago I swore I smelled coolant while idling in traffic. I chalked it up to one of the beaters around me.

Well, when I parked my car yesterday at home I got another whiff of it, so I knew it was my car. I popped the hood and the coolant level is right where it always is. I checked it that night after several hours of cooling down and it was still at the normal level. I looked all over the engine and could not find an obvious leak. It does not drip or leave a puddle. I just changed the oil this past weekend and did not notice any stains, wet spots or obvious signs of a coolant leak on the bottom side.

The smell was strongest on the drivers side of the engine bay around the intake/battery area. Which is on the other side of the engine bay from the coolant reservoir.

Is it possible that the engine was just hot from the hot day and this is 'normal'?

What does coolant smell like? I heard it actually smells like sweet candy when its vaporized.

Coolants are poisonous too.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Watch it like a hawk!

Darn, that is what I was afraid of. Of course, it will be the hose that is the hardest to access.

Most auto parts stores sell an ultraviolet dye you can put in your cooling system, then you wait for it to dribble out somewhere and a cheap blacklight will show you the problem.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Most auto parts stores sell an ultraviolet dye you can put in your cooling system, then you wait for it to dribble out somewhere and a cheap blacklight will show you the problem.

Good deal. I think I will hit either O'reily's tomorrow or AutoZone and look for it.

As far as the leak goes they are known for having the degas bottle leak but not the correct side. Check around the seems of the radiator end tanks for seepage. Might get the odor from this if hot. Check the thermostat area real good too.

Originally Posted By: bfax011
It smells like bad Chinese imitation maple syrup.

Actually smells like 'good' Chinese toothpaste.

Nice, Real NICE!!!! *****!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey

Thats one of the good things about the old reliable green coolants.
Leaks, even minor ones, can be spotted a mile away without any dyes or blacklights.
12.gif

I lost my first set of headgaskets on my Taurus @ 61k. You could smell it and the UOA also showed it getting into the oil.

The 2nd set went @ 108k.
smirk2.gif

My 2007 Outback has the smell in the last 1000 miles (15k total) and now I'm seeing the coolant level now dropping... (my luck)

So after my vacation, I'll take it in and let them fix the head gasket (the smell is really strong on the drivers bank)

I'd try the die and if you find it to be a outside leak only, put some coolant tabs in.

Both times mine was both external and internal leaks.

Good luck..

Bill

It smells like bad Chinese imitation maple syrup.
Probably Chinese imitation maple syrup has coolant in it.

probably burning off before it leaks. Check for a head gasket leak, your freeze plugs and look around your waterpumps weephole. Sometims a very small amount will come out of these spots, but not enough to pour out and leave puddles. When it does leave a puddle then you gotta a bigger problem to deal with.

Thanks for the input/ideas guys/gals. I have not smelled it the past couple days. I have been way to busy to even stop by a parts store. Today is a slow(er) day so I will try to swing by the other side of town and hit the parts stores.

Sidenote: If my headgasket(s) are failing, I will NOT be happy.
mad.gif
No warrranty = trade car in = $$$ lost.

Have you entertained the possibility that your leak is in the heater core itself, which is why you smell it in the vents but haven't seen a leak under the hood?

On days you aren't using the heat, the valves will be closed and it may not leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back