What viscosity for a 92 volvo 240 wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I tried to make this a poll...

Figuring out what viscosity to use for my friend's 'new' 240 wagon. Im trying to give the best advice I can... Its the 114hp 2.3L 4-cyl, by the way. Im thinking M1 euro formula 0w-40, M1 truck & SUV 5w-40, GC 0w-30, rotella Syn 5w-40 or delo 400 15w-40. Car is in NJ, and doesnt ususally see below 0F.

Thanks!

JMH

A good rule of thumb with the modern CI-4+ 15w-40's is constant use to 15F, and occasional use down to 0F. Does this apply for you?

If so, I'd recommend either Delo or Delvac 15w-40.

but it is true that volvo reccomends a 10w-30 oil. This engine is not turbocharged, and M1 10w-30 has given excellent results in other 4-cyl engines Ive used it in.

That said, most europeans would use a 40 weight oil in such a car, and its probably specced for that there, right? Also, most older european cars (at least the ones i have, one a ga$$er and one a diesel) say its ok to use a 15w- oil down to 3F, I believe.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
but it is true that Volvo recommend a 10w-30 oil.

Yep. I believe the primary recommendation is 10w-30 with 15w-40 being an acceptable substitute down to around 15F.

On the same page in the owners manual though, there should be a sentence saying that 15w-40 is the recommended viscosity if towing or doing mountainous driving...

quote:

Originally posted by Brikhead:
Volvo recommends 10w30 for the older engines(and some newer ones). Synthetic oil is not mandatory, but strongly encouraged. Check out the FAQ section of brickboard.com for a comprehensive list of approved oils.

Didnt find the list. Can you point me to it?

Thanks!

JMH

pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

It was in the text... I was looking for a tabulated list.
pat.gif

Does anyone know of a list newer than 1998? Out of curiosity, what is reccomended for 2004/2005 models?

Thanks,

JMH

From 2005 S60 owners manual.
You can review all manuals from 1965 - 2005
http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier2/Owners/Library.htm

Oils and fluids
Oil quality
Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/ Energy Conserving.

Your Volvo has been certified to standards using ILSAC oil specification GF-2 5W-30. Volvo recommends use of oil with a quality rating equal to or higher than ILSAC GF-2. Equivalent and better oils include ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF, and SJ/Energy conserving. Lower quality oils may not offer the same fuel economy, engine performance, or engine protection.
Volvo Cars recommends Castrol.
Depending on your driving habits, premium or synthetic oils may provide superior fuel economy and engine protection. Consult your Volvo retailer for recommendations on premium or synthetic oils.

Oil additives must not be used.

NOTE: Synthetic oil is not used when the oil is changed at normal maintenance services. This oil is only used at customer request, at additional charge. Please consult your Volvo retailer.

Operation in hot climates

When temperatures exceed 86° F (30° C) in your area, Volvo recommends, for the protection of your engine, that you use a heavier weight oil, such as SAE 10W/30. See the viscosity chart below.

15W-40 summer, 10W-30 winter (if below 15'F)

When choosing 15W-40, pick oil that has the lowest sulfated ash.

Very interesting posts. The owner's manual for my '96 Volvo 850 specifically calls out 15W-40 as the preferred weight oil for temperatures above freezing with 10W30 being second choice.

10W-40 is specifically called out as an oil NOT to use.

5W-30 only for winter conditions.

For a 240, 15W-40 in the summer and 10W-30 or 5W-30 in the winter would be my choice.

John

my only issue is that this is for a friend not as crazy about oil as I. SO in a way, I think that stating and sticking with one viscosity would be best.

Today it is 14F, so its obviously pushing what a 15w-40 could do. Rarely does it go to 100F here, and the car isnt going to be heavily stressed. Im starting th think for simplicity that a synthetic 10w-30 is the best choice. But that leaves me with M1 which is a light 30 weight oil, maybe not best for euro engines??

As much as I like the idea of a 15w-40, Im thinking it may be smarter to go with something that allows the summer and winter protection. M1 10w-30 is a good stable oil, and although it is a thin 30 weight oil, it will stay tough at high temperatures, and give protection at lower temperatures than the 15w- plus, its an 'authorized' weight. That said, Im happy with using rotella syn 5w-40 in my BMW, which specs 15w-40 or 50 for most conditions. But, at the same time, BMW authorizes 'special oils' or synthetics which will protect through the whole range (though apparently Volvo has authorized an older flavor of M1 for their cars, in the 10w-30 grade).

Its just that Im not knowledgable enough about volvos to say for certain that Id go with a 5w-40, or say, GC in 0w-30, both of which would be my main choices, I guess. But I dont want to push the suggested rrequirements too much without good justification, since its not my car, and wont be constantly verified with UOA.

Why cant 10w-30 HDEOs be more available? It would solve so many problems!

Does anyone forsee an issue with alternating castrol 15w-40 and then GTX 10w-30? It may be good for a summer/winter alternation? I think Id rather see something like that than delo 400/M1 10w-30 changes... It keeps a standard brand, the correct weights, and can be changed every 6 months/5000 miles per the severe manual schedule without worry, and the correct viscosity could be chosen depending on the weather in the upcoming months. The only problem there, once again, is that its not synthetic, which would be preferable.

Maybe Im thinking too much about this... Maybe I should just suggest delo 400 15w-40 which has decent cold performance, or just spec M1 10w30, so its orrect for 99% of all the conditions his car will see. After all, my father's 94 previa, with 2.4L N/A 4cyl engine is probably specced for 15w-40 in most conditions int he rest of the world, but we use M1 10w-30 with great success, to the extent of 8ppm Fe in 13K miles, and negligible Cu, Pb! Maybe it would be a good suggestion??? Maybe all the information on this site is making this too tough!
dunno.gif

Thanks for your help!
cheers.gif

JMH

[ January 19, 2005, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

JMH, a high mileage 10W-30 could be a good compromise. Most of these, I believe, have slightly higher viscosity than regular (syn or not) 10W-30. I took this approach with my old SAAB that calls for 20W-50 down to 5'F. Last fill was with Castrol GTX HM 10W-40 and it works very well.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
my only issue is that this is for a friend not as crazy about oil as I. SO in a way, I think that stating and sticking with one viscosity would be best.

I do too and you are taking on a certain responsibility here .

For this engine the 10w-30 Mobil SS will do anything a conventional 40wt will do above 90F . That is written in the Mobil archives . Using the Mobil removes any potential problem with low temperature oxidation which is seldom spoke about here .

Speaking of Mobil , did you know that the 0w-40 has enough reserve to meet a up to two year spec/application for Saab automobiles ? You have this oil listed as one of the possibles . It's what I would use year round in that car .

You had spoke about if 10w-30 HDEO's were more commonly available things would be much simpler .

Well I don't believe those oils has anything over an oil such as the Pennzoil High Mileage oils when used in gasoline engines . They are using a blend of group I/II " for the time " and have a much larger additive pack than 10w-30 HDEO's . The Pennzoil has like 3k ppm calcium , 100 ppm boron as anti-wear and a cleaner and a large dispersant spike . The HM's are true HD oils these days and are formulated to run in gasoline engines , not engines burning dirty diesel fuel and there is more than a couple of anlysis's here that show their worth . One at near 10k miles , one at less miles but was ran for 9 months and some of these HM's say for newer cars too .

These are BITOG's most overlooked oils thats for certain . I would use 5w-30 winter , 10w-30 summer in that car " Mobil Blend or Pennzoil " and sleep well .

These are modern times with newer formulas . In a synthetic let the technology work for you . 10w-30 would work well as would the Mobil 0w-40 cause it's a different critter .

Incase you missed this , please read the post by cit1991 in the link below . This member knows what he talking about .The D/D pack in any oil cannot work properly if it's too thick and not rolling over the internal parts
nono.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000293;p=2

Why not recommend the Rotella 5-40? Should be fine for 7.5-10k intervals....or whatever Volvo recommends as 'severe'.

because its not per the manual, which for me, an oil nut is fine, but for someone whom Im making a reccomendation for may not be the best idea.

A HM oil may be the best choice, as its not only heavier as a 30wt, but is also cheaper than a PAO syn.

Which is the best PAO/Ester mixed HM oil? I assume Pennzoil or castrol?

Thanks!

JMH

I use the Shell Rotella syn 5w40 year round in my 86 240, and Castrol GTX 10w30 year round in my 94 940 ( pretty much the same motor)because it has developed a slight rear seal leak (even after an Auto RX treatment), and with the Castrol dino it only leaves a small dime sized spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back