reccomendation for a mountain bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys im just starting to get back riding again . im a big guy 6'2 300 lbs and was looking for a bike that can support me im also on a budget roughly 300 any ideas? thanks guys

For $300, you will find NOTHING new, as far as mountain bikes go, that will stand up to your weight.

Try eBay. Look for a 1-3 year old Gary Fisher, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, or Haro hardtail bike with a decent front suspension fork.

If you can find a used bike from a reputable brand with a steel frame, that'd be even better. Good luck. Let us know what you end up with.

I'm 320 (6'-4") and use an old GT aggressor (approx 2000). It works just fine for old railroad track beds (rails to trial). When I was 265-280 I used it for single track in da woods.

bike is holding up just fine. It is not perfect and I may need a new front fork suspension, but it does what I ask it do do, which is verry little maybe 20 miles a week where i used to do 100 a week.

Def get some bike shorts.

I'm 6' 4", 270 pounds. I've been riding the same Cannondale for about 16 years. I don't jump, but I do ride it off road and I ride it pretty hard. Pound for pound, an aluminum frame is stronger, but more money. You're not going to get anything good for 300 bucks. Buy an issue of Mountain Bike Action. Check out all the sales the warehouses have on parts.
Are you handy? You can actually build a bike with sale parts for less. I have about 800 bucks into my Cannondale and the guys in the bike shop used to tell me that was a 2000 dollar bike back when I built it. Point is, I know 800 bucks is more than you're looking to spend, but I've been riding this bike for 16 years.

Also, the end of the model year is coming up. You can possibly save a few hundred dollars on a showroom bike as they need room for the new 2009's.

thanks for the replys guys i had wanted to lose some weight and figured getting a bike would help that and i use to love riding. what price range do you think id be looking at also any models of used bike u can think of? thanks

You can get your hands on a Diamondback Response for under $400 for the low-end model, or the high-end Response Comp for a little more than $600. Often you can find these for $100 less.
The frame is plenty strong enough to support you, and as you lose weight and want to upgrade you can keep the frame and get a better fork, derailleurs, disc brakes etc.

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn-hardtail/response-08/

guy what do you think of the lamborghini forza i found one used for 125 dollars in good condition. guy said its rated up to 300 lbs only problem is im 320 what do you think? thanks

buy a Trek 4300/4500 new for around 300-350...check out the local bike shops...also ****'s Sporting Goods sells IronHorse and DiamondBack.

The wife and I both have Trek Comfort Biles and ride normally 6 days a week early in the morning in the neighborhood.

I recommend that you go to a bike shop and get some help as far as frame size, rims, etc. I take an 18 inch frame but based on hight you may need a 20 or 22 inch frame.

I like both the Trek and DiamondBack bikes.

In my opinion one is better off going to a bike shop.

We have recently gotten back into biking.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Look on Craigslist for a Specialized HardRock. Preferably;y an older one with no suspension.
Put some 26x1.50" street tires on it.

Good link for BIG guys!
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248

+1. I just bought a used one. They are built heck for strong
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back