Bicycle Lube Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I think too much is made of chain lube. I think keeping it clean is more important then the type of lube used. Sooner or latter they wear out. I prefer dry lubes on chains on bikes used in dirty dusty environments. FOr a road bike though most of you quality lubes will work well so Breakfree CLP is something I have used since the 1980's since Dad always had it on hand. A little bit goes a long way most people over oil their chain wich atracts more dirt. Miltec-1 works well and even 3in1 will get the job done on a bicyle.

Finish Line works good for chains. Bike shops usually carry this.

Most front forks have dust wiper seals where the stanchions enter the lowers, which makes lubing the visible portion of the stanchions a moot point. If you still want to lube them, a silicone spray lube won't hurt anything.

Agreed on the silicone spray for th fork stanchions; be sure all the excess is wiped off though. You could also just concentrate on keeping them wiped down; the fork oil will keep them lubed. For chains, I'm real partial to the Rock 'n Roll lubes (Gold as an all around favorite, Blue for nasty sloppy mountain bike use) and the Dumonde Tech Lite.

I use Castrol chain lube. It comes in a white pressurized spray can and sprays on wet but drys to a black coating after a day or two. It greatly improved and quieted down the shifting on my bikes.

I also rinse the chain in a mixture of 75% solvent and 25% 5W50 synthetic oil first if the chain is very dirty (recommended in some older posts here).

I use White Lightning. Not "clean" as advertised but works well for my application (road). For a mountain bike, I would use a lighter weight, easy to clean wet lube. TriFlow is good, as are most of the brand name lubes. For cleaning, White Lightning makes a great degreaser. It's expensive but very fast.

I use Tri Flow dry lube on my chains and white lithium grease on just about everything else. One of my older mountain bikes still has a Manitou EFC on it that uses elastomers. I recently ran out of Ritchey Snot, a great lube for keeping the bumpers sliding free on the guide rods. Anyone know of a good replacement?

Here's all the bike lubes I have on hand. The two chain lubes shown work equally well.

MiscBikeLubes.jpg

Rock N Roll for the chain, (Extreme for the MTB, Gold for the roadie), Slick Honey for things like fork stanchions and Silkolene Pro RSF fork fluid in various flavours for the forks and a couple of different anti-seizes.

I have used most of the chain lubes mentioned above but by far the best and cheapest I have found is a "home brew". buy 1 qt of 0w20 mobil 1 and a can of paint thinner, mix 1 part oil 2 parts thinner in old chain lube bottle and shake well.

For the chain, gears and derailer I clean it with Simple Green.

bikelube.jpg

For the chain I use Pedros Ice Wax.
Park Tool Polylube- inside shifter, ball bearings (wheel, stem)
Tri-Flow- deariler parts, cables, pedals

Bottom bracket if you want to take it out you can lube it with grease.

I use eezox or white lighting chain lube

eezox is a weapons dry lube that protects from rust like no orther lube.

white lighting chain lube was just some stuff I picked out when I bought my bike years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back