Bridgestone G109 grid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called tirerack to order a set of Triple treads to fit my '02 Avalon. Guy said these new Bridgestones were better tires and twenty bucks cheaper each!
Anyone know or have any history?

Yeah lots of "great" reviews by people that drove them a couple hundred miles and are comparing them to worn out OEMs.

I once bought a tire from Tire Rack that had rave reviews but were new to the market so nobody had them more than a few hundred miles. Everyone including me were complaining about noisy tires within months. Never again will I buy a new model tire. Wait for a bunch of reviews with 30-50k miles on them or buy something else.

For a Toyota Avalon, I would put a grand touring tire like Michelin Primacy MXV4. They will provide some sporting character with nice smooth ride. In the Goldilocks tradition I would say the Bridgestone G019 are too hot/harsh for the car, and the Tripletreads are too cold/mushy...I think the Michelin MXV4 Primacy-not energy- would fit your car perfectly with regards to luxurious ride and handling an Avalon gives you.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I once bought a tire from Tire Rack that had rave reviews but were new to the market so nobody had them more than a few hundred miles. Everyone including me were complaining about noisy tires within months. Never again will I buy a new model tire. Wait for a bunch of reviews with 30-50k miles on them or buy something else.

That's how I end up having Dunlop SP A2, not a bad tire but I haven't seen any other tire that didn't last till the trends are worn due to damage 7 out of 8 times.

I would recommend the Michelin Exalto A/S. I'm guessing you have the 205/65-15 size (the $20 difference you mentioned held true for that size).

I have the same size tire on my Camry and the Exalto A/S is my favorite tire, period. They are $2 more than the triple treads, though.

WavinWayne also has raved about the tire on his GTI.

Sorry I'm not anwering your original question... nothing new for us here at BITOG, though. :)

I put on a set of G009 and the end of summer '07. The G109 is supposed to be an improvement on G009. I have no complaints, so far I have put 10k on them. They wear well, have pretty good grip in all conditions(and I tend to be hard on tires). For the money they're hard to beat.

The G019 is an update to the G009 which is terrific tire. I would be confident it will perform very well in it's class.

I think the bigger issue is that the G019 is in the high performance category, compared to the Assurance Tripletread which is in the passenger all season category. Probably your best step is to decide between those categories first, then select a tire in that class.

oily boyd said:
I would recommend the Michelin Exalto A/S. I'm guessing you have the 205/65-15 size (the $20 difference you mentioned held true for that size).

I have the same size tire on my Camry and the Exalto A/S is my favorite tire, period. They are $2 more than the triple treads, though.

WavinWayne also has raved about the tire on his GTI."

You are answering the question I have about replacing for my TDI though. 195/65/15 and I'm leaning to the Exaltos for this app.

Last edited:

I agree.
Ordered Triple Treads at Sam's Club, hope they work out.
Thanks to all for those replies.

Just curious - those wouldn't have been Avon's would they?

"You are answering the question I have about replacing for my TDI though. 195/65/15 and I'm leaning to the Exaltos for this app."

Let us know how you like them (both the Triple Treads on the Avalon and the Exaltos on the TDI).

Might be a year before I replace the Nokian I3s on my TDI. I run Blizzaks for the winter and then I'll be shopping.
Next week for the TTs. I'll report.

I have NEVER liked any GoodYear tire I have owned. I have gone through many different tires in my years of driving. Maybe things have changed in the past 15 years since I last tried a GoodYear, but I won't know.

I just put these on my TL. Great tires. Quite ride, handles a lil better to. Overall not bad at all.

Originally Posted By: bigbull2984
I just put these on my TL. Great tires. Quite ride, handles a lil better to. Overall not bad at all.

same. i am not a tire freak so i don't really complain about every little thing but these tires work well. noise is greatly reduce compared to my super old kumhos. More grip and handles better for sure. Comfort? Well, all tires feel the same with me.
smirk2.gif

Last year I bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza G009's because:
1) they were a lot cheaper than Michelins,
2) they were rated for 80k miles,
3) and the TireRack reviews said they had good grip.

This is all true. But what I did not know was that by about 50k-55k miles, the G009's had become very loud and the ride because increasingly harsh.

Finally I had enough, and swapped to some Michelin MXV4 Energy tires that I got a great deal on. The G009's still had enough tread for another 10k miles, but I just couldn't stand the noise and vibration.

For my Golf and for any other FWD car I might own in the future: I almost certainly will not buy a directional tire. I want to be able to rotate side to side, or in an X-pattern, in addition to front-back, to equalize the tread wear on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back