Parking brake in rear disc applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some vehicles with rear disc brakes have the parking brake mechanism integrated with the caliper so that the brake cable pulls a lever which actuates the caliper. Some have an integrated drum brake to serve as the parking brake.

I've always heard that the reason for the integrated drum style is because the disc-only applications tend to fail and don't hold as well. I've personally had a disc parking brake caliper fail but it was on a car that was almost 25 years old when I got it and for all I know the parking brake wasn't used for years before I bought that car.

My 07 Civic has a disc-only setup, and my gf's 93 Volvo has an integrated drum. Out of curiosity, I just wanted to do kind of a poll to see what other members have seen on rear-disc vehicles. Is the integrated drum strategy still common or have the disc parking brakes gotten better and supplanted them?

I've seen that drum parking brake with disc for the regular brakes. On the Toyota Camrys 92-96 generation (not sure about others) the ones that have 4 wheel disc will have the integrated drum parking brake. My VW Jetta has disc brakes only and it does not appear to have the integrated drum.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Saturn has the parking brake mechanism integrated with the caliper.

The G35 that I did rear brakes on used the drum setup. Many Hondas still use the drum setup.

My Protege5 has the parking brake mechanism integrated into the caliper
My F-150 has a drum in the rear disc

i don't know if this has anything to do with parking brake function but drum brakes are self-energizing. friction on the leading shoe causes it to mechanically apply pressure to the trailing shoe. I would think that would have the benefit of less pressure needed from the lever and cable; as the vehicle would try to move the shoes would try to exert more pressure.

I've heard that the self-energizing trait of drums is one of the reasons they're better parking brakes than discs, and that does stand to reason.

From looking at parts websites I notice that it looks like the current Civic and Accord have disc parking brakes, while the CR-V and Pilot have integrated drums. Maybe it's a vehicle size thing for Honda? The drum advantage might be more important in a heavier vehicle.

I have several times seen the shoes of the mini drum disintegrate, and nobody ever knew it until the rotor was removed.

That is why I like the parking brake as part of the caliper.

On thing to remember, though is that replacing pads on the caliper+parking brake system requires a tool to turn the piston and screw it back in, whereas the miniature drum can be serviced with regular brake tools.

Odd this should come up. Friday eve. business slowed down approx 2;30,so since parts have been laying around for a couple weeks seemed a good time to replace my rear rotors,pads and park brake BAND(not shoes) on my personal 04 Silverado SS. Previous owner had driven with PB set and band was damaged on both sides, pads were near wear indicators and rotors were too thin to turn and heat from park brake had them wharped as #@ll. Removed first (left) rotor and DAARN IT!! rear dif must be drained and axle pulled to change band!! Probably a good thing though, as gerease was extremely dirty. Naturally, with my own down on rack every soul in town suddenly need something! Business took a sudden upturn and newest employee ended up doing most of actual brake replacement (nobody else is gonna be in my diff). Well on the way back together and WHAM NONE of the three sets of possible rear pads that OReilly's had sent were right. No other option if I planned to use pickup over weekend but to put old pads against my new rotors. Bit my arse to do it but had already planned 150 of so mile trip, so old pads are back in place till Monday.

As far as which is best,, even with problems changing bands (almost never needed unless some dumb-arse forgets to release park brake) I'll always prefer drum-in-hat rear discs to the much more complicated screw in piston rotors of older design.

Bob

My wife's 01 Saturn L300 had the drum in the rotor hat. I like it because if the caliper ever list a pad, the E brake may not work... The drum is a completely seperate mechanism.

I've also installed Explorer Disc brakes on 9" rears in a couple hot rods and gained that drum E brake.

Had a similiar issue with the explorer. The parking brake shoes are so small and bonded on that when you go to change the rotors and you knock the rotor poof their goes the shoe inside the rotor. Ended up having a hard time locating the shoes that would fit properly. Ended up putting on a pair of wagners that fit but not great. I think NAPA had a set that looked nice but got their too late. It definetly does save the calipers thou. My accord has the intergrated ones in the caliper. I have replaced the caliper 3 times because you go to change the pads and you cant get the caliper to turn all the way in.

My 03 Toyota Matrix has 4 wheel discs with the integrated drum. For those of you who have related your experiences, THANKS! When the time comes, I'll make sure to get a set of internals, just in case.

Originally Posted By: RH+G
Had a similiar issue with the explorer. .. I have replaced the caliper 3 times because you go to change the pads and you cant get the caliper to turn all the way in.

Get the disc brake tool set from Harbor Freight. Absolutely the best and easiest way to service Ford rear calipers.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: RH+G
Had a similiar issue with the explorer. .. I have replaced the caliper 3 times because you go to change the pads and you cant get the caliper to turn all the way in.

Get the disc brake tool set from Harbor Freight. Absolutely the best and easiest way to service Ford rear calipers.

i have the same tool, but from MATCO so it cost 10 times as much. sometimes the turn in calipers do get frozen and cannot be turned back in. the easiest and most cost effective solution at that point is to replace with reman calipers. that being said, the drum in disc setup is nice from a service standpoint. also with a multipiston fixed rear caliper like a brembo style with 4 pistons, you must have the drum inside the disc to have a parking brake.

'99 F150 with 4 Wheel Discs - it has the integrated drum in the rear rotor. Due to corrosion in the pivoting parts in the system, the parking brake tended to stick, and overheated the pads on one side. The lining delaminated from the backing and resulted in an annoying clicking noise that was the hint that it had fallen apart.

NAPA had the shoes in stock, and they fit fine. Tracking down the parts for the actual mechanism was more painful. NAPA did come up with the right spring kit on the second try. The other parts were Ford only, special order. Fun...

Newer 4runners and Sequoia's have the innner drum style rotors.

All I say is have fun doing them if they need changing. I hope you dont mind nighmares jobs. Theres a trick but it took me over 25minutes to figure it out in order to put the retaining clip on one of the shoes.

Calipers with park brakes give a lot of problems.The worse cars for it are medium sized Mazda's = like the Cronos,Lantis,Capella and Eunos.Here in New Zealand it's always the left hand capliper that fails,as that is on the curb side.At one point dismantlers were asking $100 more for a left hand caliper than the right.These days we get them rebuilt as they last longer.....a used unit will be back with the same problem.

The main thing I like about the disc variety is that you have a full size brake disc/pad set to e-brake with. Sure, they can still overheat but presumably they're more durable than the small shoes in the integrated drums (obviously depends on the vehicle, but that's been my experience). Clearly the same argument applies to cars with only drum brakes in the rear, though.

It's too bad to hear that the newer caliper e-brake mechanisms aren't necessarily more durable or long-lived than the older ones.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Here in New Zealand it's always the left hand capliper that fails,as that is on the curb side.

What is it about being the curb side that causes them to fail?

Originally Posted By: rationull
Originally Posted By: Silk
Here in New Zealand it's always the left hand capliper that fails,as that is on the curb side.

What is it about being the curb side that causes them to fail?

They pick up more crud on that side of the road.On the Mazda's the parkbrake siezes,or they start leaking fluid back out the lever side.

One thing about in drum/rotor parkbrakes - don't pull them on when moving,it can cause major damage.There were a lot of park shoes totalled on Holden Commodore's destroyed on rolling road brake testers when they first came out....so we don't do that anymore.

Heard that many times about Commondores, and seen rally drivers mess them up loads.

How functional are they as an emergency brake ?

Or should they be labeled like motorbike helmets, use once and replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back