Run flats ride rough and noisy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I test drove a Lexus GS 350 and the car had run flats and the ride seemed rough and noisy.
First time I've driven a car with run flats.
Would a change to a regular tire produce a softer ride and less noise?

Probably. The sidewalls in a RF is much stiffer. Hear lots of stories about folks getting rid of them due to the ride quality and replacement cost.

Thanks,guys.
I think I'll see if they have a GS460 to test drive with regulat tires.It seems in my area the dealers only have AWD GS 350s and I'm told all have RFs.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Should you choose a vehicle with run flats, price the replacement costs. You may be shocked!

If The dealer can locate the color combo and option package I want,I'll buy the GS 350.I'll know by tomorrow.
I'll run a little less air in the RF and replace them with regular tires in short while.
RF are average $350 ea on Tire rack.I'm not a fan of RFs.
Fortunately,unlike other factory RF vehicles,Lexus provides a compact spare and not the fix a flat type can.

I've got 'em on my 'Vette. As others have said, the sidewalls are stiffer, so the ride is a little harsher. I've not experienced excessive road noise. I can tell you this; those suckers really work when put to the test. They handle great; unreal traction in a curve. And I've put them to the "flat" test twice, and they perform as advertised. I myself will take a deep breath and pay the price for another set when it's time.

I just ordered a set Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity Technology A/S tires.
A Grand Touring tire that finsished #2 in overall testing but #1 in ride and noise which is just what I'm look for.
Also finished second by comsumers at Tire Rack.
The GS 350AWD isn't a 'real' handling car so I don't want the rougher ride but better handling of a tire in the Ultra High Performance A/S tire catagory.
Take off Run flats will be for sale on Craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back