TUFOIL / MOTORKOTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I've not done a UOA when using Tufoil I've never been able to feel a difference when it's been added to the oil.

Originally Posted By: FrankP
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE ITEMS?
DO THEY WORK? WILL THEY CAUSE ANY DAMAGE TO AN ENGINE?
A co-worker and I split the price for a gallon of Tufoil back in the mid/late 80's. I used it in a Diesel Rabbit. It seemed smoother, maybe a little quicker. Who knows? Now I just run Havoline 5w30, and I'm very pleased with it. I just don't think todays oils need help. Some are pretty stout

Using it in my 89' Camry has NOT given me anything to be happy about. I just noticed nothing different in anyway. With the synthetic oils on the market now I'd just stay away from these supplements that make allot of claims. Be aware that allot of these oil supplements make allot of claims that got them in trouble with the Federal Governemt. Go to the Federal Trade Comission website and use their search engine to find out which products are considered bogus.

Durango

Originally Posted By: FrankP
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE ITEMS?
DO THEY WORK? WILL THEY CAUSE ANY DAMAGE TO AN ENGINE?

I have been successfully using Tufoil for approximately two years in my BMW520 (1995 European model). My experiences is that Tufoil gives less engine noise, smoother acceleration, measurable better fuel economic and I then believe less engine wear over time.
I know it is almost impossible to convince some people here at this forum to try this Tufoil but this is their “problem”, they will not experience the positive effect this product gives.
Here are some Tufoil users feed-back from the Tufoil home page:
http://www.tufoil.com/successStories.html

Well, I tried it in two different diesel cars, back in 1998/1999, and we drove more than 20000 miles with this Tufoil.
In these cars, it did not work in any way.

No reduction in fuelconsumption and no noice reduction.
One of the cars, a Mercedes 300TDT, was also going very warm, and no help in that matter, either.

All in all, really disappointing.

If it gives you good results, be happy about it.

It is teflon based if I remember correctly! That in itself tells the story. I swear it ruined my main bearings on an 85 Volvo with only 85,000 miles on it.

Alomost permanetly soured me on any oil or gas additive.

I wonder if PTFE particles tend to cling or become stuck to engine sludge? I've read that PTFE tends to clog tiny oil passages, and I've also read that Tufoil particles are so small that they won't clog oil passages. I've read great success stories about Tufoil, I've read not so successful stories, like the ones above.

So I'm wondering if Tufoil particles will stick to dirty engine surfaces? Should an engine be thoroughly cleaned out with ARX before installing Tufoil? Would this make any difference in how the Tufoil travels around an engine?

Originally Posted By: POM

I have been successfully using Tufoil for approximately two years in my BMW520 (1995 European model). My experiences is that Tufoil gives less engine noise, smoother acceleration, measurable better fuel economic and I then believe less engine wear over time.

How about getting a UOA or two done and posting them so we can see them and the wear numbers?

The guy who developed that lives not far away. I remember him doing a "Timken" demo with it at a gas station for customers.

Last edited:
I'm now running a dose of Tufoil in my Volvo XC70. The Tufoil had a dramatic effect on throttle response and acceleration. However, this dramatic effect lasted about two days.

I began thinking about why the new found power had subsided, and figured that the additive wasn't being distributed around the engine like it was when new. Maybe it was settling in the pan?

So I decided to pour in some Lucas oil snot. I figured that the Lucas might be able to help pick up the additive and deliver it to the top of the engine.

I was right. After installing the Lucas, that original boost of power immediately came back and has stayed 100%. I just finished up a road trip of 1500 miles round trip plus a ton of driving in between.....around 2500 miles of driving on this mixture and the result stayed the same the entire time. MPG went up slightly....27 to 28 @ 65 mph. The car was already running very efficiently.

So, my new found oil love is Castrol Syntec German 0W30/Lucas Synthetic oil snot/Tufoil. Fantastic combination. I couldn't be happier with the consistent and instantaneous power and acceleration.

Some of the truckers rave about how it "smooths out " the engine, but the problem with motorkote lays on the back of the bottle under directions for applications. It says "shake well before pouring!" That scares me. Don't know about tufoil

They have new bottles - there is no longer any mention of shaking the product before application.

If i ever see tufoil for sale I will test it,but in an older lawnmower first.This kind of additive may interfere with add. the motor oil uses.

I used Tufoil a long time ago. I was more willing to try it than other oil supplements because Popular Mechanics Magazine had tried it and given Tufoil a positive review.

I used it in a used Toyota Corolla station wagon that I owned for a while. The car ran well but clattered a little at startup. The Tufoil did seem to make a difference but looking back on it I think I could have achieved pretty much the same results at less cost by just using 20W50 oil in the summertime.

That Tufoil stuff is THICK! The people who produce it later on started to also put in moly.

I stopped using Tufoil a long time ago. I don't believe that PTFE belongs in an automobile engine. The moly that many motor oil producers put into their motor oils is probably about equal to PTFE in terms of any fuel efficency gain. And that moly in the correct chemcial composition is ALREADY in the motor oil! So you get the moly at no extra cost. You just have to choose a high moly oil. There may be some chemical additives today that can equal what moly does. Those additives are already in the oil.

I gave MotorKote a try a while back in my Cummins ISX. I only used about half the initial dosage as was recommended.

didn't really see any change in UOA results. Did see a slight decrease in oil consumption. None of the UOA numbers showed anything that would suggest I put in an additive.

Just wanted to drop a note, this stuff is actually on the shelves at Walmart now...heh. Kind of "strange" stuff.....taking the whole "vintage" marketing approach, similar to Sea Foam, B-12 CHEMTOOL, and Marvel Mystery Oil.....the bottle looks really weird, I think it was a 12 oz. or so bottle....vaguely read the back, and it makes it sound like you only need 1 oz. per quart of oil in the engine. You can also use 1 oz. in the transmission.....gear boxes, etc....

Basically, everything except gas, brakes, and radiator :p I did some searching here cause I was curious...the VOA looks very strange....only like 4 ppm of Boron....but If I recall, the MMO VOA came back quite "bland" as well...

Just kinda weird how they market it as a "super lubricant" lol....I can't see putting it in a transmission, don't you want the clutch plates to "grip"/catch?
smile.gif
And not be sloppy and slipping
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back