Is running 5w-30 okay if the manual specs 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '04 Civic and Honda specifies 5w-20 weight oil. I read some good comments on German Castrol so I went to Autozone today and found it but it only comes in 5w-30 there. So I was wondering if running 5w-30 will hurt the engine? And most importantly will it void my warranty? Also is more moly good or bad? Lastly from the following list of oil can you pick one and explain why you chose it over the other one? : Mobil 1 0w-20
Castrol Syntec 5w-20
German Castrol Syntec 5w-30
Penzoil Synthetic 5w-20
Castrol Startup
Or any other good suggestions.

Hmmm, GC comes only in 0W-30 grade. Moly is neither good nor bad, it's the total additive package that is important. German Castrol has no moly, Mobil 1 does and both work fine.

I would select the Mobil 1 0W-20 simply because it has shown good results here and meets spec. I have very different engines and use the German Castrol, but I don't think it would be best for you.

I haven't tried any of the castrol products in my 02 civic but if I recall correctly there is not much viscosity difference between the synthetic castrol 5w30 and the 5w20's so It should be fine to use it. IMO just stick with the 20's: they work and you get better mileage.

Haley10 is correct, German Castrol is only the 0W-30 grade. It will say "Made in Germany" somewhere on the back. All other Castrol grades are American group III Syntec.

GC is only sold as a 0-30. No it won't 'hurt' anything if you use it in your civic as it is a higher spec. oil than is spec'd in N.A. for your car.

In fact, it would probably serve the engine better, especially if following the 'severe' OCI dictated in your manual and save money for extra OCI's and/or auto-rx req'd (at a later date) if you use dino.

Ford and Honda went to the w20 spec for fuel economy, not protection.

Any vehicle running 5w30 when it is specd at 5w20 will have NO problems whatsoever.

quote:

In fact, it would probably serve the engine better, especially if following the 'severe' OCI dictated in your manual and save money for extra OCI's and/or auto-rx req'd (at a later date) if you use dino.

Are you suggesting that I should use conventional oil? I might have made a mistake on the viscosity of GC, today was the first time I saw it so I probably didn't remember right.

Why not just use HONDA 5w20 and change "often"? It's an interesting oil and it's been reported to have either 9.8 or 7.65 vis.@100C. I'm hoping it's the higher number. HONDA's 5w-20 reportedly has fairly high Moly numbers (240's) and Boron (130). The calcium, phosphorus and zinc numbers are pretty high too. I'm speculating that Honda engineers think high Moly and Boron are good for their engines. Not very scientific, I know, but higher numbers then my Castrol GTX or Syn Blend and no Boron in either. I need to do some UOAs and just find out what works good for my '04 Accord V6.

Hot, dusty and "severe shopping wife conditions" compels me to OCI at 3,500+- for peace of mind. I asked my Honda service rep if its OK to use "Recommended for Honda" Mobile 1 0w20 and he said, "Blah, blah...Better not. Warranty, warranty, blah, blah, blah warranty." When he finished his long explinations I said, "I guess that means Mobile 5w30 is out of the question too?" The man had no sense of humor at all. He just stared at me like I was dumber than dirt and slowly said, "Only 5, w, 20." What can I say? He's a corporate guy, they're on to me now and I don't tempt fate. I'm looking for "the best" 5w20 I can get. "Honda" Oil looks pretty good to me right now.

[ January 15, 2005, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Cicero ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cicero:
Why not just use HONDA 5w20 and change "often"? It's an interesting oil and it's been reported to have either 9.8 or 7.65 vis.@100C. I'm hoping it's the higher number.

Product Name: HONDA GENUINE MOTOR OIL 5W-20

Flash Point [Method]: 224°C (435°F) [ ASTM D-92]

Viscosity: 48 cSt at 40 °C | 8.5 cSt at 100°C

Pour Point: -30°C (-22°F)

quote:

I'm looking for "the best" 5w20 I can get. "Honda" Oil looks pretty good to me right now.

If you can find Amsoil's 5w20 you should have no problem doubling your drain. There are some place in El Paso that carry it (thanks to me). Also doen'st the Napa there in LC have Amsoil ask them if they can get the 5w20. The Napa isn't my account so I have no way of knowing. All of my old contacts in Cruces have abandoned me. I have about 5-6 places in EP doing okay.

quote:

Originally posted by asiancivicmaniac:
Or any other good suggestions.

See my above post. Amsoil's 5w20 is a very good synthetic (group III) with a really good add pack. Has a TBN of 10+
grin.gif

Mobil 1 0W20 with coupons from PepBoys 2.50 a quart.
cool.gif
States on the bottle that it is compatible with Honda and Ford specs. Just take it to the Honda service rep and ask if he can read.

If you want to run 5/20 and you are going to change oil every 3.5k the Exxon Superflo at 1.29 qt. before rebate(as low as .64 after rebate) is a good high moly oil. Since E-M makes Honda oils there is a good chance that it is the same oil that you pay your dealer 2.50 for. My 01 Accord runs very well on it.

No, I'm saying that using a conv. will require use of a cleaner such as auto-rx at a later date.

If you look in the UOA section, you'll see a number of good results for late model Hondas for both conventional and synthetic oils, Xw-20 and Xw-30. Our friend 427 down in Texas and others do well on syns such as GC and M1; I and others have done well with dino. Where you live may be a factor; southerners and westerners seem to be running Xw-30 more. I've been using Pennzoil 5W-20 with LC and 132 and our Honda does well on it; may try the Motorcraft 5W-20 sometime. Lots of good oil options, and the UOAs suggest your engine should be fine on any of them.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

I'm looking for "the best" 5w20 I can get.

If you can find Amsoil's 5w20 you should have no problem doubling your drain.

Should have said the best DINO oil I can get.

Honda Genuine Mobil Motor Oil at $2.02 a quart with nice VOA numbers still looks good for 3,000 mile OCIs. Wish there were more UOAs and VOAs on 5w20's, sythetic and dino. Maybe an Amsoil UOA will post and help me decide if high Moly and Boron is all that important for this Honda engine and satisfy my curiosity and speculation on this.

Here is a Virgin Oil Analysis of the Honda 5W-20 US replacement oil:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000031

Here are posted Used Oil Analysis results of Exxon Superflo 5W-20 in Hondas:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001618

Looking at these two sets of numbers, The Molybdenum, Zinc, Phosphorus and Calcium levels are all very, very similar. Combining this information with the published data saying that ExxonMobil makes the Honda USA 5W-20 private label oil leads me to the conclusion that they are almost surely the exact same oils. We see the same thing with the Motorcraft 5W-20 which is made by ConnocoPhillips and appears to be the same as ConnocoPhillips' several house brands.

Exxon Superflo 5W-20 is IMO a real sleeper value oil. Motorcraft 5W-20 gets lots of praise here on BITOG, but the Superflo looks to be an excellent dino oil as well, at least in the 5W-20 grade.

John

Can somebody tell me how much effect would a 30 weight oil have on the fuel economy of an engine specified for a 20 weight oil and if using a 30 weight oil will cause more wear? I want the best protection for my car that and I have the urge to use Castrol Syntec 0w-30 because of how much raves there are here about it. By the way it's a 1.7 liter Honda non-vtec, and plan on doing 5,000k oci's.

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (German) is on the heavy end for a 30 Weight almost a 40 weight. Many people do report a loss in fuel mileage in 4 cylinder engines with this oil.

Other than a possible mpg loss I dont forsee any detrimental effects.

You have two ways to go:

10,000 mi drains:

In Florida in a Honda 4 cylinder I would use Mobil 1 0W-20 if warranty might be an issue with your dealer. If not I would use M1 5W-30 if I did a lot of short trips or M1 10W-30 if it was mainly highway driven.

5,000 mi drains:

Motorcraft 5W-20 or 5W-30.

Exxon Superflo 5W-20 or 5W-30.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back