Best oil for QR25DE engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Nissan Rogue approaching its first oil change (3750 miles), in about two weeks.

My car use is mainly highway (110 kms commute everyday) decomposed as 80% highway, 10% city, 10% traffic jam.

It will be also my first oil change (done by manufacturers service department on previous cars), so I have the choice of the oil I want to put in my car :!.

Since it is not a severe service car use, I want to move to the factory allowed interval of 7500 miles with this oil change that is why I am looking for a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil (UOAs scheduled at 3000 and 5000).

I already bought a Napa Gold filter, the 1356 which slightly bigger than the factory recommended 1365 (plan to move to the Amsoil EAO13 filter with Don from here later for one year changes), but not the oil yet.

I am hesitating between PP 5w30, GC 0w30 (probably my choice for the winter), M1 EP 5w30, and Amsoil XL 5w30.

From what I understand, the QR25DE engine seems to like oil more on the thicker side of the 30 weight (am I right on that?).

Price wise, now I am leaning forward PP oil (cheaper in my area for 5w30 syn blend) for now and moving to GC after.

I will appreciate your input on that, I am really a newbie on oil.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what Nissan's definition of "severe service" is but the manual that came with my Honda specified that just operating the vehicle in Canada constituted "severe service". You might want to check that out closely to avoid a potential warranty problem.

Check out this UOA from another Rogue owner. He has been using Formula Shell in his QR25. He went through a Maine winter, and his UOA looked great with only 7K on his car.

Rogue UOA

I feel with your 80% highway driving. I would think 5K OCI's on dino with the QR25 would be ok.

F23A4:

That is what is written for schedule 1 maintenance (3750 miles):
"We'd recommend our Schedule 1 service interval which is designed for average Canadian driving conditions."

For schedule 2 maintenance (7500 miles):
"Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions."

At least, for summer, I am covered. For winter, it is just recommendations, can they void the warranty when it is just a recommendation? Probably, yes if they want but they will find something else other wise.

Finklejag:

Thank you for the link but I have seen it already (I will reviewed it anyway one more time).
The thing is that I want to move to synthetic oil since I want to extend my OCI up to what it is allowed in the warranty, which is, for me, 12.000kms equal 7500 miles.

I would say from my experience that the QR25DE likes oil a bit thinner than normal. Mine is noisy when cold, so I opt for the best cold weather numbers possible. I'm using 5W-30 Petro-Canada Maximum at the moment, but I'm going to try something synthetic (probably 5W-30 Syntec, as I have some laying around) to see if it makes the noise I get at startup any better. The cold numbers for the Syntec are not as good as the P-C, but I'm curious to see if the synthetic makes any difference. If not, it's back to P-C Maximum dino.

G.

Mxhdroom, thank you for your input. If my commute changes and I do not need to use my car that much anymore, I will switch back to dino with 6 months OCI, and I for sure look at this PC maximum.

So does it mean that I was misled, that I did not read correctly?

Is someone else know if these engine likes thinner or heavier than normal oils?

Depending of the outcome, which oil of the ones listed above is the best recommended?

I am sure they are all good, I just try to find the best one for this engine. At least an idea from where to start experimenting.

Pesca, unfortunately I cannot offer any specific advise for your engine however I have had good results with Pennzoil Platinum in my vehicle. The 5w30 is readily available at Canadian Tire and Walmart - I was able to stock up on 4.73 liter jugs recently for $22.47 CDN each on sale at Canadian Tire. If you have occasion to go south of the border, Walmart carries them for $19.97 US.

The PP should have no problems with the 12,000 km intervals but you might consider buying the filters and oil at 6,000km intervals so that you have documentation to say you followed the severe service interval (even if you didn't).

Another oil to consider is Esso XD-3 Extra 0w30. It is a true PAO synthetic and is available only in Canada. Heavier than the PP and easily capable of handling a Quebec winter. The boys in northern Alberta love it.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Mxhdroom, thank you for your input. If my commute changes and I do not need to use my car that much anymore, I will switch back to dino with 6 months OCI, and I for sure look at this PC maximum.

So does it mean that I was misled, that I did not read correctly?

Is someone else know if these engine likes thinner or heavier than normal oils?

Depending of the outcome, which oil of the ones listed above is the best recommended?

I am sure they are all good, I just try to find the best one for this engine. At least an idea from where to start experimenting.

Pesca,
No, I don't think you were misled. My opinion on the QR25DE (at least the one in my SpecV) is that it likes thinner oil, but that doesn't mean they all do, and it certainly doesn't mean my opinion is the correct one
cool.gif
. I live by the adage that there is no such thing as too thin an oil at startup, so the 5W-30 works for me, especially in cold weather when I find the engine very noisy until it reaches operating temperature.

Some of the other recommendations you're receiving here are good as well. The XD-3 is highly recommended, as is GC, PP, and a number of others. Stick to the recommendations in the owner's manual and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

G.

I never noticed any real difference. Whatever I gave it, it happily drank up at a rate of about 1qt/1500 miles.

Originally Posted By: F23A4

The PP should have no problems with the 12,000 km intervals but you might consider buying the filters and oil at 6,000km intervals so that you have documentation to say you followed the severe service interval (even if you didn't).

Wise advice from a wise man
cool.gif
I will do that for the winter months since I feel that during summer, I am definitively not in the severe service field.
And since I planned several UOAs, I will have proofs that the oil was still good if necessary.

Another oil to consider is Esso XD-3 Extra 0w30. It is a true PAO synthetic and is available only in Canada. Heavier than the PP and easily capable of handling a Quebec winter. The boys in northern Alberta love it.

I did not know that oil, thank you to brought it up.
After searching on the site, it seems to be a real good oil and could be a real competitor to the GC 0w30 for winter time.
Do you know how much is it for a quart/ 1 liter and for a gallon / 4 liters?
Is this oil API rated (asked for my car, no need to be SM though)?
It seems to have a lot of zinc in it which is worry me a little bit for my catalytic converter life.
Originally Posted By: Mxhdroom

No, I don't think you were misled. My opinion on the QR25DE (at least the one in my SpecV) is that it likes thinner oil, but that doesn't mean they all do, and it certainly doesn't mean my opinion is the correct one . I live by the adage that there is no such thing as too thin an oil at startup, so the 5W-30 works for me, especially in cold weather when I find the engine very noisy until it reaches operating temperature.

I may have read something and interpreted in the wrong way, English is not my birth language (I am an imported).
And from where I live now, your adage is definitively one of mine too.

Bamaro, do you own or owned a nissan? If yes, what is your input on the thinner-heavier oil?

BTW, thanks a lot for your advices, it is really appreciated
thumbsup2.gif
. Even if I ask for more clarifications doesn't mean that I don't believe you. For example, for me, QR25DE engine prefers thinner 5w30 oil until I am proved wrong (that is why I asked opinions from other).

Last edited:
I believe they are reporting their elemental analysis in mass%, which would make the Zn about 1500 ppm if I am not mistaken. That seems kind of high, but the other numbers seem inline as well if you multiply by 10,000. (move the decimal to the right 4 places)

As far as viscosity is concerned, it looks about inline with GC 0W-30 for the KV100 viscosity as it lists as 12.1 cSt. The KV40 is listed as 71 , which is less than M1's HM 10W-30 listed at 78 cSt. It would seem that it is on the upper end of the 30W range IMO. Someone else can chime in and confirm this.

My 04 Altima with this motor is always very noisey when cold. Now I'm sure your Canadian winters will be colder than my New York winters, so you will experience the same noise unless Nissan has done something to address this. My 07 4 cyl Camry is the same way. It supposedly is something to do with hydraulic chain tensioners on these dohc motors and the 07 Camry uses 5w-20 oil so thinner makes no difference there. I used GC 0w-30, PP 5w-30 and QS 5w-30 synthetic as well as Mobil, Castrol and Havoline dino oils and the noise level was always the same in the Altima. The only difference I noticed is that it did consume some synthetic between changes but not dino. My driving was mostly highway and I stick to a 5000 mile oci. The car presently has 110,000 miles on it. My dealer's service manager always told me I should use the 7500 mile oci but I always stuck to 5000. Nissan makes good motors. I have put up to 300,000 miles on Nissans I have owned.

My local Home Hardware sells XD-3 0w30 for $7.29 CDN for the one liter bottle and $27.99 CDN for the four liter jug. I believe you should be able to buy it for less at a distributor or depot. A number of BITOG members in Ottawa have a source there. Should be a similar source in the Montreal area.

Attached are pictures of the labels so you can see the specs.

EssoXD-3Extra0w30Front.jpg

EssoXD-3Extra0w30Rear.jpg

Last edited:
I love the little Exxon on the bottom of that label....

Anyway. I have the same engine in an Altima. I have used.....Pennzoil YB 5w30. Maxlife 5w30, and 10w30. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. Mobil 1 0w40. German Castrol 0w30. Amsoil ATM 10w30. Amsoil SSO 0w30. I really like the SSO in this engine. No consumtion, the oil looks good after 7k. It sounds really nice and I get better gas mileage with the SSO. I would highly recommend the SSO for this engine. Mine likes it. It really didn't like the GC or the PP. The others were fine.

Oh yeah...no start up noise with the SSO or the Pennzoil YB. Everthing else had startup noise.

Last edited:
My 04 Altima 2.5S also makes some noise in the colder weather until warmed up(2-3 miles). I use a 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: Frank D

My 04 Altima with this motor is always very noisey when cold. Now I'm sure your Canadian winters will be colder than my New York winters, so you will experience the same noise unless Nissan has done something to address this.

NY winters and Montreal area winter are the same, so thanks a lot for your feedback on this engine.

Originally Posted By: Frank D

I used GC 0w-30, PP 5w-30 and QS 5w-30 synthetic as well as Mobil, Castrol and Havoline dino oils and the noise level was always the same in the Altima. The only difference I noticed is that it did consume some synthetic between changes but not dino. My driving was mostly highway and I stick to a 5000 mile oci. The car presently has 110,000 miles on it. My dealer's service manager always told me I should use the 7500 mile oci but I always stuck to 5000. Nissan makes good motors. I have put up to 300,000 miles on Nissans I have owned.

Good news to know that I can go on long OCI without to worry too much. UOAs will help me sleep better also.

My local Home Hardware sells XD-3 0w30 for $7.29 CDN for the one liter bottle and $27.99 CDN for the four liter jug. I believe you should be able to buy it for less at a distributor or depot. A number of BITOG members in Ottawa have a source there. Should be a similar source in the Montreal area.

I found one in my area, not too far from my commute, so I will probably pass by soon or at least call for price/availability.
Price wise, it looks like in the range of the PP (so cheaper than the equivalent GC oil), except Esso is PAO based and PP is Group III based. The only negative thing about this oil is the level of Zn in it, looks really high for catalytic converter.

Originally Posted By: Cooper

I really like the SSO in this engine. No consumtion, the oil looks good after 7k. It sounds really nice and I get better gas mileage with the SSO. I would highly recommend the SSO for this engine. Mine likes it.

I know. SSO seems to be a really good oil. The problem is that this oil is not API certified (no starbust on it). Therefore, at least while I am under warranty, I don't want to use it.
The other thing about this oil ( as for the Amsoil ASL) is also the amount of Zn in it. As the Esso XD-3, there is a lot in it and I am afraid for the catalytic converter.

It really didn't like the GC or the PP. The others were fine.

That is not good news for me, those are the ones I was looking to use in my car.
Could you clarify a little bit more what the engine did with those oils compared to the others?

Bamaro, do you own or owned a nissan? If yes, what is your input on the thinner-heavier oil?

BTW, thanks a lot for your advices, it is really appreciated
thumbsup2.gif
. Even if I ask for more clarifications doesn't mean that I don't believe you. For example, for me, QR25DE engine prefers thinner 5w30 oil until I am proved wrong (that is why I asked opinions from other).

Yes, I had an 02 Sentra SE-R with the QR25DE. I only used 10w-30 once (had it on hand and wanted to see if it helped oil consumption), the rest of the time 5W-30. I switched back & forth with syn & dino (winter & summer). Never noticed any differences at all with any of the changes except synthetic seemed to be a bit quieter at startup for a few seconds in the winter.

It really didn't like the GC or the PP. The others were fine.

That is not good news for me, those are the ones I was looking to use in my car.
Could you clarify a little bit more what the engine did with those oils compared to the others?

The GC felt very sluggish, and the gas mileage dropped about 2 mpg's. My biggest complaint was the sluggishness. It made a lot of noise on startup with the GC green that was in it.

The PP was noisy. A lot of clatter while it was in the sump. I had a little more consumption with the PP. Probably a quart and a half in 5k. I was worried I was getting the 2.5 notorious consumption issue. Not to be. No consumption at all now with the SSO.

As far as the amount of Zn in the SSO and the XD-3 nobody has had any issues with the cats going south. Im just going to guess that oil companies large and small do just a little bit of R&D before they decide to release such products to market.

So you dont want to use SSO because its not API????
smirk2.gif
Come on, Really?! How many times have you ever had a lubricant related failure? And even if you did do you think the dealer will be able to "test" the oil in the crankcase and tell weather its API or not. Answer is no, unless you decide to tell them more than they need to know. Both oils are great. Dont let the warranty paranoia scare you away from a great oil such as the SSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back