Amsoil ATF in 03 Honda Odyssey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2003 Honda Odyssey with 64,000 miles on the clock. The ATF needs to be changed out. Amsoil says it is okay for Honda Z-1. How does the Amsoil stack up compared to the Z-1? Should I flush the system with Amsoil, or is the Z-1 the way to go? I also plan on changing out the ATF filter as listed in another post.

I would assume Amsoil is better as it's a full synthetic and compatible with Z-1.

I would do a full flush with Amsoil or any other Multi Vehicle formula that is compatible with Z-1.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I recently purchased a 2003 Honda Odyssey with 64,000 miles on the clock. The ATF needs to be changed out. Amsoil says it is okay for Honda Z-1. How does the Amsoil stack up compared to the Z-1? Should I flush the system with Amsoil, or is the Z-1 the way to go? I also plan on changing out the ATF filter as listed in another post.

Amsoil stacks up great compared to Z-1.

Change the filter. I would then flush it really well with a low cost ATF of your choice, use Dexron, Z-1, whatever. We are getting all the Honda metal and old fluid out of there. Then immediately flush that really well with Amsoil ATF. I have come to the conclusion with these early Ody trannies, a drain and fill is pointless, if not worse as it builds false security.

If you choose Amsoil ATF, you want 100% Amsoil ATF.

From internet sources (rumors, take with a grain of salt):
Z1 has strange friction modifiers. Besides Honda - nobody knows how they (or lack of these modifiers) affect the transmission.
Some non Honda tranny engineer stated that Z1 is inferior to other fluids.

Additionally, Some people are saying that Amsoil is compatible with Z1 because Dex III could be used in emergency instead of Z1. Since Amsoil ATF is Dex III "compatible", by extension it is compatible with Z1.

There are some UOAs of Amsoil ATF in Hondas, nothing conclusive.

I chose to use Z1 and do a drain/fill once per year. IMHO it is safer, more conservative bet than Amsoil ATF.

Which fluid IS better? This is something for you to decide. There is nothing conclusive yet.

Edit - Pablo is correct, if you will switch to Amsoil, you'd want 100% and we'd want UOAs on regular intervals. Also Magnefine is not a bad idea too.

Last edited:
I have used Amsoil in my 2004 Saturn VUE which has a Honda V6 motor and trans. in place of Z1 and it works great! Drives better than with Z1.

I am going to put 6 oz. of ARX in the tranny and drive 1k miles. Then I will flush with Amsoil ATF then change the AT filter. That should be good for a while. I will probably do 10k drain and fills with the Amsoil after that.

I have a 2003 Odyssey with 61,000 miles on it. Several years ago it got the tranny "jet" recall fix at the Honda dealership. i don't know if they changed the fluid? Pablo, Why is a drain and refill "pointless" on an Odyssey? Would one need to do this 2-3 times in a row to make a difference? Unfortunately, the closest Honda dealer is 65 miles away.Do I need a filter at this time? Also, Amsoil would be easier to get than Honda Z-1. Thoughts anyone? THANKS.

10k drain and fills with Amsoil ATF is a bit excessive. We're talking just under $30/gallon for this fluid at dealer cost. Heck you can get a UOA done for $20 and know for sure how the contaminant loading and fluid characteristics are. After a complete flush and fill with Amsoil ATF I personally wouldn't even UOA it for 20k miles...it's really tough transmission fluid.

Last edited:
I run said Amsoil ATF for 50-60k in my 2001 Civic, and I do three drain/fill/drives to completely "flush" everything out. No problems yet.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Can you elaborate on this? Reason being I have a couple unopened quarts of Z1 I wanted to mix with Amsoil ATF with a drain and fill in my wifes 05 Pilot. I was thinking 1qt Z1 with 3qts+ Amsoil. I have no problem using all Amsoil, I just didnt want the Z1 to go to waste.

I see a lot of false information on internet and bobistheoilguy forum no exception. Honda do not recommend using flash machines (don't ask me why and link/info to source if u need a proof. Do your own home work..) instead they insist to use drain / refill method. As for the fluid brand – use what ever you feel good for you - Dex III, Amsoil or Canola oil. Personally I always recommend nothing but Z-1.

Originally Posted By: gaspo
I see a lot of false information on internet and bobistheoilguy forum no exception. Honda do not recommend using flash machines (don't ask me why and link/info to source if u need a proof. Do your own home work..) instead they insist to use drain / refill method. As for the fluid brand – use what ever you feel good for you - Dex III, Amsoil or Canola oil. Personally I always recommend nothing but Z-1.

Now that's scientific. Please do provide the hard evidence as to why - your factual post tells us to do our "own home work". I'm certainly not going either way with "flash machines" as there are multiple types of flush machines and methods, and I'm sure some of those aren't the best. What I say is if you go with Amsoil ATF, go with 100% Amsoil and get the weak Z-1 out of there. It will only cause further problems as it continues to decompose.

My main point is Honda has a very spotty record on AT's. They certainly have lost my trust and respect. I would find the science behind ALL their AT recommendations and when you find out the hollowness, choose a better path.

The reason Honda and the dealers don't do flushes is because it can stir up various particles and possibly clog a small passage way in the trans.

The drain/fill method is supposed to be more gentle. They recommend 3 back to back d/f's. I would wait a week or so btwn fills instead of driving it for a few mins then refilling.

Verified this info with 2 honda techs on http://www.driveaccord.net.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
The reason Honda and the dealers don't do flushes is because it can stir up various particles and possibly clog a small passage way in the trans.

The drain/fill method is supposed to be more gentle. They recommend 3 back to back d/f's. I would wait a week or so btwn fills instead of driving it for a few mins then refilling.

Verified this info with 2 honda techs on http://www.driveaccord.net.

No, that's just their personal opinion. The real reasons why Honda does not want a flush is because: 1) it is not required, 2) many individuals who operate flush machines like to dump in additives, 3) it increases customer wait time. As long as you do not use any additives, the flush is fine. You should also clean the magnetic drain plug as well, which a lot of people who do flushes fail to do.

Here's the info from Acura that backs up what I was saying:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B060200.PDF (page 3)

Thanks Pablo. I now know that Amsoil and Dex3 in an emergency are Z-1 alternatives,any others? Dex6,Mercon,+4,etc. Thanks. I will stay away canola oil and the"flash" machine!

Amsoil is not an Emergency oil for replacement of Z1. From what I can tell, it is an upgrade to the Z1.

Hi Pablo, would you mind explaining that ?

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow

Hi Pablo, would you mind explaining that ?

Sure - while Amsoil ATF will mix OK with Z-1, I don't think it produces great results. So if you are going from Z-1 to Amsoil ATF, change ALL the fluid, don't mess with the drain and fill unless you do 4 or 5 right after each other. Cooling line purge and fill is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back