Review of the "Absorber" drying towel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up the Absorber in the automotive section of my local WalMart for ~$9. The Absorber comes packaged in a sealed plastic bag, which is inside a pliable plastic tube. When opening the plastic bag, you will find that the Absorber is damp. This is by design according to the directions. The Absorber resembles a chamois, but is clearly man-made.

The instructions, which are printed on the plastic bag, state that the Absorber should be rinsed in warm water prior to the first use. They further state that the Absorber should be cleaned between each use and should remain damp while being stored. The Absorber may be machine washed, but should not be dried. I plan on using the plastic tube for storage.

I found the Absorber somewhat awkward to use. It is ~1/8" thick and is not as pliable as a chamois. The Absorber holds water well and is easy to wring out. I found it difficult to move the Absorber across the paint of my 2007 Civic. It would grab and make squealing noises as it moved across the paint. The Absorber also felt uncomfortable in my hand. I tried folding it and wadding it up, but in the end reverted back to using my trusty microfiber towels to complete the job.

Though some will disagree, I cannot in good faith recommend the Absorber. It has a place for those who don't care to mess around with microfiber towels, or those that don't mind a few water spots. For everyone else, however, the microfiber towel is hard to beat.

I use microfiber towels, but I found the Absorber VERY easy to use. It's very efficient at "knocking down" the water before you finish it off with a microfiber towel.

I had the same experience as the OP, in particular how it will awkwardly grab and skip on the paint with lots of friction.

Perhaps it requires a different technique. It definitely can't be used like a chamois like I was accustomed to.

I've used one (the same one) for about 8-9 years also with good results.

Also, 2 weeks ago I picked up a 'water blade' to give that a try. They are ~$20 AZ/Adv Dis or ~$25 for a double pack at Costco. I used it 1 time so far with very good results. The water blade in combination with the absorber.

That's a good question...Mine has never molded but it doesn't smell too nice. One quick rinse off after removing it from the tube will turn it ok.

Perhaps it's magic? I believe if you leave it alone for a year it would probably grow spores or perhaps another Absorber, but it never really sits in the tube that long without being used.

It would grab and make squealing noises as it moved across the paint.

I only use the Absorber for blotting for the above reason. If there is any debris on your paint, the Absorber may just grind it into the paint and add scratches especially with softer paints. There is just less risk when using a micro-fiber towel sliding against the paint.

I have used mine for over 10 years. I like it a lot. No problems and no mold. No water spots. I like how you said the directions said to wash but don't dry! LOL

Mine was relegated to kitchen duty years ago. Great for stupid spills that are always a large quantity.......stupid refers to me since I usually make the spills.

Car paint? Nope, it does mar so no thanks.

Originally Posted By: ron350
If the Absorber is stored damp what prevents mold and mildew?

FYI - as an avid traveller/backpacker, I use the Absorber as a towel since it weighs almost nothing after you wring it out and takes up very little space.

That said, it WILL mold if keep too wet for too long.

If you look at the bottom of the container, there is a hole in the bottom wich helps release excess moisture. It is not a perfect design and I tend to roll 'em and let 'em dry that way, then place into the container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back