outboard lower unit accidentally mixed synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone direct me to any old posts or answer this question- I accidentally mixed synthetic lower unit oil with regular dino lower unit oil on a new Honda 4 stroke 90. I am willing to drain it all and start over because it does not cost much, but I am curious as to if I really need to. Any thoughts? I am new here so sorry if this is repetitive.

RObert

Happens a lot more than you think with Mercruiser brands. They use the term Premium for their dino mix and High Output for their synthetic stuff. You can see how they can be mixed up. Since you have a Honda 90 engine, I wouldn't even worry about it and just change it out at the end of the season. Now, if you have a 250 HP or more, then I'd be concerned. Mercruiser specifically states that synthetic has to be used in their Bravo drives.

I don't know, given the cost of gas these days, compared to a quart of synthetic oil - I'd change it all out again to synthetic. Every little bit helps...

Oopps, I meant High Performance, that stuff really stinks and it's hard to wash off your hands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back