Dino motor oils with highest detergent levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to search this out. Of course it is VERY difficult to find this info out on manufacturer web sites..

Basically I am looking for a major brand(s) that is in 10w 30 or 40 that has a high level of detergents (don't they need to have the API designation of "HD" so you would see the oil labeled as :
HD 10w 30...right?

A list of major brand names products would be helpful. I simply want to do an engine flush without using anything other than a traditional motor oil, no adds or atf please.

Why not try a 15w40 HDEO like Rotella/Delo/Premium Blue???

You can run it for 500/1000 miles or so, then change it out for your choice of fill.

Im curious as to why you need a flush, and why not something like Auto-RX?? This is exactly what Auto-RX is designed for....
21.gif

I'm just very leery of anything that isn't specifically approved by VW. They recommend against any oil additives or other products like them.

I recently have developed a little lifter noise.It is only slight and only lasts for a few seconds when starting the engine cold....I figure the added detergents in the good quality oil will clean the oil passage holes in the lifters adequately enough..I am more concerned about the oil seals (car is 13 years old) being prone to a leak due to age...if I use anything with any kind of strong solvents.

So do you think the Shell Rotella is more detergent intense than say Mobil 5000 ?

I'd use the almighty yellow bottle. It's bulletproof.
thumbsup2.gif

IMHO, I'd run auto-rx with the yellow bottle. I'm not convinced a HDEO would clean an engine that much, especially on one OCI.

Last edited:
Do you think a 15w40 might be to thick for a small engine? I heard that those 15w30 truck oils were made for .....trucks. Just my opinion. I'm sure someone will correct me....? Anyone?
whistle.gif

On second thought...why not use a couple of really light weight quarts of the same brand of oil...and then add like 3 more of the thick HD stuff. That way you'll get some oil with really good detergent action and your oil will flow more easily. Can I get points for this?

I was wondering the same about the rather heavy weight 15w but here in SC the temps are already in the mid eighties so I can't believe it would really be an issue right now.... Now if it was still winter I would probably not want to try.

Originally Posted By: Westerly

I recently have developed a little lifter noise.It is only slight and only lasts for a few seconds when starting the engine cold.

That noise at startup may be traced to a bad valve in your oil filter. Your filter may be dry/empty on startup.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think so as it has been doing this with my old Purolator filter and now the OEM Mahle filter as well..hmm

Quote:
I'm just very leery of anything that isn't specifically approved by VW.

You trust them when they changed spec's faster than most of us did underwear over the same span of time? What VW 50X.xx are we up to now?
grin2.gif

The oils that they spec have to jump through hoops that filter out a good number of oils. Just don't demand the economy end of their oil spec and you open up quite a few oils. Don't use it over the duration spec ..and you get a butt load more. Etc..etc..etc.

There's no "magic oil".

Originally Posted By: Westerly
Tried to search this out. Of course it is VERY difficult to find this info out on manufacturer web sites..
I am looking for a major brand(s) that is in 10w 30 or 40 that has a high level of detergents (don't they need to have the API designation of "HD" so you would see the oil labeled as : HD 10w 30...right?

The CI-4+ grade diesel motor oils have high detergency levels and CI-4+ Rotella 5w-40 full synthetic is one of the highest among those currently available with calcium levels at 3200+ ppm and a 12.5 TBN.

Most of the 15w-40 weights have changed over to the new CJ-4 grade low emission formula with rather sharp reductions in the Ca levels and TBN numbers.

Mobil 1 15w-50 full synthetic also seems to have Ca levels in the 3000+ ppm range.
12.gif

I will say that any car manual I have ever seen will always recommend against using additives for oil.

I've never used AutoRX, I don't know how well it does or doesn't work, but I do think that if it works like most claim, it doesn't matter what the manual says. The manual is just saying that oils are designed to work alone, and adding additives may change the way they are supposed to work. Or even dilute your additives, like substituting a quart of oil with a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer... it's additiveless junk.

You have a 13 year-old car and are worried about using "approved" oil? Let me tell you, if the oil was approved 13 years ago, it now antiquated oir at least the formula has changed. If you have been using this type of oil all along, apparently it has let you down since you have this lifter noise.

So, you've also decided against additives or flushes too. This severly limits your options because oil alone won't work, especially since detergent levels in new oils have been going down with base quality going up. That being said, here at Bob's we sorta politely ask newcomers to check their preconceptions at the door. Not that good info does not come from new people, at least relax your constraints enough to consider non-VW oils, for a multitude of reasons, and look at instances where additives like Auto-Rx HAS worked for people...here is one recent example where the user WAS set aginst it and got good results.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1156975#Post1156975

I think when you look at the non-VW oils and all the good reasons to clean the engine via various methods like flushes and ARX in a 13 year-old engine, you might reconsider.

Around my area, I can get Motorcraft HDMO in 10w30 quarts at Murrays. I wonder is any CSK stores would also have it.

"recently have developed a little lifter noise.It is only slight and only lasts for a few seconds when starting the engine cold....I figure the added detergents in the good quality oil will clean the oil passage holes in the lifters adequately enough..I am more concerned about the oil seals (car is 13 years old) being prone to a leak due to age...if I use anything with any kind of strong solvents."

I suspect that a slight lifter noise at start up on a high mileage engine is leak down of hydrualic lifters that were holding a valve open when the engine was turned off. It takes a few revolutions of the engine to pump back up, but is not a symtom of a constricted oil passage. I have had several 5 cylinder audis that would do this on occaision, and the owners manual even said not to be concerned if it goes away in the a minute or two.
ote] [/quote]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back