Hard tail vs. Soft tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had a soft tail bike before (or one with any suspension for that matter) and I was wondering what it was like. I plan to get a ~$300 bike in the future (nothing fancy I know) for occasional use for both on pavement and dirt paths.

Anyone have any input? It's amazing how many gizmos you can get on a cheap bike now a days.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I've never had a soft tail bike before (or one with any suspension for that matter) and I was wondering what it was like. I plan to get a ~$300 bike in the future (nothing fancy I know) for occasional use for both on pavement and dirt paths.

Anyone have any input? It's amazing how many gizmos you can get on a cheap bike now a days.

you get what you pay for. if you get a lot of 'gizmos' on a cheap (less than $500) it'll be a big P 0 S. a dept store full suspension bike in that price range will be heavy and clunky and be sure to make you hang it in the garage and never look at it again.
get an entry level bike at a bicycle shop, you won't be sorry.

A $300 full suspension set up will get you a lot of bob on the down pedal stroke. Kind of a pogo effect. Higher end suspensions will counter act this while still allowing appropriate travel. Front suspension takes a little getting use to. Kind of an odd feeling at first. Again, a cheaper suspension won't give you the full effect. You may have an 80mm fork but only get 40mm of travel. The damping and rebound may or may not be adjustible. Probably an elastomer/spring set up if they still make them.

If you only want to spend $300, get a hardtail and put more money (upgrade wise) on the front suspension.

wantin150 has it right. For $300 you will be doing yourself a favor if you stick with a hardtail bike. Personally, I wouldn't consider full suspension until about the $1000 range. For paved stuff and dirt paths, the rear suspension is overkill anyway. It takes energy to move the suspension don't you know.

If you need some cushion for your backside, try a suspension seat post instead.

I am putting an old hardtail together. I have never really rode a mtn bike in real trail conditions. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn........

I think these guys are giving you the straight scoop.

A GOOD front suspension fork is over $300.
[censored] suspension is just extra weight that'll be broken down in a year.
IF dirt path is the roughest terrain, you'd be better off with no suspension.

Originally Posted By: Bill Kapaun

It depends on the sensitivity of your own tail.

Or just a suspension seat post.

Originally Posted By: wantin150

Or just a suspension seat post.

You can use that as a pogo stick when your bike breaks down.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back