2008 Ford Focus Lifetime Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I was reading the Owner's Manual to my 2008 Ford Focus. I was astounded to learn that the PZEV engines have a lifetime air filter. I do not have a PZEV engine. Nevertheless I was curious as to if anyone here knows anything about this air filter. I need to get the manual out but I remember reading something about never needing to service or replace this filter for the PZEV engines.

Anybody know anything about this? Is this possible? Never replace the air filter...

The Focus lifetime filter has been around for few yrs now. Check the Focus forums for more info. I think I saw a white paper done on it and it's on-line.

After a bit of research I have learned this filter is made by Visteon. Seems to be good for 100000 miles depending on the sensor. Surprising this topic has not recieved more posts. I mean how awesome is it that Ford put out a car with an air filter that can go 100000 miles?

I have a 1997 Chevy Tahoe 5.7L which I changed the 'first' air filter at 106K miles.

There is an indicator based on vacuum which showed it was still good and visually it looked great. I changed it anyhow with new plugs. The filter is Very Large.

By contract I have a 2005 Ford 3.0L Duratec which needed a new filter at 15K original miles. I changed it again at 35K although the filter was not as bad as the first one. It's spec'd for 30K intervals.

Both pull cold air from the wheel wells. The 2005 Freestyles did have brake dust issues but in the back, not front, but could be related.

The focus engine lists about 100 or 150K normal service interval for the filter and yes it is a serviceable part just not easy. In Severe service it is a 30K part.

IT IS NOT A LIFETIME FILTER!!!! Just Long Life!!!

Lifetime air filter that is difficult to get to and has a "30K severe service" interval. Shows why Ford and the Focus are nothing put a huge pile of suck.
37.gif

But you have to consider what the severe service criteria are though. Most people probably will do fine with the normal service.

I myself would rather have a conventional airbox with a lid to change the filter. But the Focus looks like a good alternative to a Corolla.

I disagree. Most people probably fall under "severe service".

Here we have:

Lots of stop and go.

Both dusty and rainy conditions.

Temperature can vary 50 degrees in a day.

If you're not on the accelerator, it's probably because you're on the way to the morgue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back