anyone else Un-installed AVG 8.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. I am running the free version of PCTools Anti-Virus after trying several other free ones.

I also made sure that my hardware firewall was setup correctly. Many folks often overlook that.

A new free version of their anti-virus has been released. See the following web site.

Link To Web Site

I run the 64 bit version of Vista when using Windows and have had no issues with it.

Yep, AVG is gone after many years.

Slowed browsing in both IE and Firefox beyond acceptable performance.

Went with Avast and impressed. Stays out of the way and performance is excellent.

Bill

same here, I thought my mother lappy was infected and was about to put int he OS CD to reinstalled OS, read this and uninstalled AVG and voala, back to normal.

I don't understand.. I installed AVG v8 last week and I've not experianced any of the issues reported here. No performance hit, no popups, no problems of any kind.
21.gif

Wow, I can't believe all the people having problems. I have 8.0, and have had it since it came out, and I get no performance drops on my old or new computer, and I get no advertising problems?

7.5 worked a lot better. 8.0 would be perfectly acceptable if you could uninstall some off the add ons with installation, so that when you run the program you're not constantly thinking something is wrong because of the ! because you turned off the modules. I don't want anti-spyware being active all the time, nor the link scanner (what slows IE down from what I've experienced).

Matt

I think AVG has gone downhill a lot. I much prefer Avast! today. For a free antivirus Avast! is hard to beat.

For paid antivirus programs I like Kaspersky, NOD32, and F-Secure.

Norton Antivirus and McAfee are continuing never ending jokes in my opinion.

According to information at the Kaspersky website high quality antivirus programs are often far superior against spyware compared to many dedicated antispyware programs. Even though some put down Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware it has been my experience that these programs are superior to many of the paid anti-spyware programs. And at least these programs are free.

I think Windows Defender is pretty lame and the Microsoft antivirus is pretty weak. The Microsoft fireall in Vista is better than many people think.

My parents were running AVG 7.5 and wound up getting infected with a fake antispyware program (virus) called AntiSpyware Master. AVG was already bugging them to upgrade, so when they got infected on top of that, it pretty much sealed the deal that AVG had to go. I installed Avast and the viruses are all cleaned off and things are functioning normally again. I very much like that Avast offers to run a boot-time virus scan after install. The one thing I don't like, though, is that it doesn't update immediately after install.

The funny part about my parents' situation was that they called both Best Buy and Circuit City's computer service and neither would come out since the machine is more than 3 years old. Money-grubbing b-stards. "We'll fix your computer for $100/hr, but only if you buy a new one!"

Safe mode is truly your friend when trying to get rid of cr*p like that. If you're ever infected, that's the first thing you should do before running a full virus/spyware scan.

AVG 7.5 is ANNOYING with its request to upgrade to 8.0 again and again and again and again.

That made me uninstall AVG (after years of use and praise) and purchase NOD32 - my best choice in Antivirus ever.

My laptop is still getting pestered to upgrade to 8.0. I might just go with Avast... Sick and tired of AVG.

I've had several family members get AVG 8.0 - all reported performance problems (usually an active system scan running when I checked :p ). So whatever.

OK. so is Avast problem-free?
any (-) sides to Avast?
i'm also a "bit" annoyed these days by AVG. although I really didn't have any problems with it.

so...if I still find "OK", do I still benefit by getting AVG Free?

Thanks for the info in this thread guys. Saved me the hassle of upgrading from avg 7.5 to 8.0 on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back