Anyone know who makes O'Reilly's store brand oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, we cheaped out on the oil change for the '94 Dakota my son drives. O'Reilly auto parts had a special: $7.99 for a 5 qt jug of their 10W30 OReilly brand oil AND one of their OReilly branded oil filters. Before deciding, I aksed the manager who made the oil and filters that carried the OReilly label and he the filters are made by Purolator and the oil by Mobil.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any insight into the origin of the OReilly branded oil. It was noticeably lighter in tint than Mobil Clean 5000.

Exxon/Mobil in some areas, Warren in others.

The bottom of the jug/bottle will tell you.
WPP=Warren.

I guess it really dont matter if its rated for your vehicle.
$7.99 is a good jug price for a 3000/4000 mile OCI
Why not???
21.gif

Hoping for Mobil, but there's no coding on this jug except for the UPC code. $7.99 bought the jug AND the filter
happy2.gif

It doesn't have WPP on it anywhere, says Distributed By OAD and the bottom of the jug it has a "2" embossed in the recycle triangle for HDPE and also "Whitmire Sherman, TX" which I believe is Whitmire Container Group (Googled it, lol), meaning they plastic jug was made by Whitmire.

I have been using O'Reilly 10W-30 for ARX treatments. I could not find any evidence of who makes it on the bottles either. I sent a UOA sample in to Blackstone about 10 days ago, so I'll post the results soon.

there isnt a big difference between any api oil, no matter who makes it...that oil will easily go 6k

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
It says on the box (case) that it's distributed by Ozark Automotive in Springfield, Mo.

Those are both part of the same big ball of string.

That's what I thought. I guess that makes the actual manufacturer very discrete then. There are no other markings that I can see.

Tha manufacturer is not really important (other than for making decent quality products and such) as they will build what O'Reilly wants to pay for (whether a name brand company which also builds private-brand products or a company that does many private brand products). It might not have the safety reserve (i.e., better than it needs to be for a minimum level of performance) of a name brand oil, but if you change it reasonably often, it will probably do as well as anything else out there for a "normal" use vehicle.

Regards,
CBODY67

Originally Posted By: Stucker21trt
Omni makes O'Reilly branded oil.
From O'Reilly FAQ "O'Reilly's brand of oil is manufactured and packaged by Omni Specialty Packaging. Omni is an independent lubricant manufacturer in Shreveport, LA. While Omni is not affiliated with any "major" manufacturer, we do buy our base oils from companies like Exxon/Mobil and Shell. Lubrizol Corporation manufactures Omni's additives. Lubrizol is the largest lubricant additive manufacturer in the world."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back