Post your current MPG

Bill is fortunate to live at high altitude which probably adds 10-15% to overall mpg. Of course that would be mitigated on a trip to San Diego at sea level.

I am so impressed by the mileage figures for the Corolla that it is very tempting to get one for my wife to use as a commuter. Realistically she would not approach the numbers discussed here, and it would only substitute for a small percentage of our overall driving, so it wouldn't really save that much gas for us. I just appreciate the efficiency of it.

I have been unhappy with the mileage of our Infiniti I-30, which is her car. I'd say 20-25mpg, mainly the lesser of those when she is driving.

I do worry about safety, and I feel the I-30 is a fairly safe car for her and the kids, and the Corolla would be a big step down. She has had a few mishaps in her driving career, and I'm always somewhat worried about a bigger one. It is a consideration.

We drive perhaps 45,000 miles per year between the two of us, so we spend a huge amount on gas.

Toyota auto trannies are easy as pie to maintain yourself. You get a dipstick (what a concept
thumbsup2.gif
) and a drain plug. If they had a spin on filter, it would be the cream of the crop.

Mine is down a bit. Last period was 22.4 mpg (about 80% city); today, 21.03. Tires are still at 34/32.

The difference, I think, is that I've started using the air conditioning again; and the last three days I've been caught in a little traffic congestion coming home from work, as a street repair crew is blocking one lane and everybody needs to merge left. Any other route home would be worse as far as traffic and stop-and-go driving. (Only one bridge across the Mississippi River for 15 miles! What genius!)

41.5 this time in the Aspire. Slowed down to sixty most of the time. If I got a alignment and better tires would be much easier to get to that mark.

This past week I made a conscious effort to drive as conservatively as possible.
2004 SRT-4 28.4 MPG Mixed driving
2001 Ram 2500 Cummins 20.1 MPG Mixed driving-no loads

'08 Toyota YARIS L.B.w/5 speed manual : 42.03 m.p.g.: consists of 268.6 miles / 6.39 gals.. About 87 miles was 3 passengers , the rest was 2 . 65% highway / 35% city . Winds of 15-25 m.p.h.. Some speed high as 69 m.p.h.. Average speed of around 55 m.p.h.. Made switch from PLATINUM 5/30 > VALVOLINE Synpower 5w-30 at 94 miles of the 268.6 miles of Trip B.

95 honda accord 5 speed
New Honda MTF and Pennzoil 10-40
99% city driving, Half dank conservative driving, half tank enthusiastic driving.
20.5 MPG : (

I am happy to report my 2004 Subaru WRX is now back 24MPG since the weather has warmed up from a winter average of 21MPG. No change in driving habits.

I still use 3500-4000RPM as a shift point. Pretty good considering revised EPA rating for vehicle is 18city/25 highway.

05 Mercedes C230 Supercharged 4 cylinder. We average between 25 - 30 MPG with about 60/40, maybe 70/30 freeway/city.

Superb gas mileage imho. Car handles well and great torque due to the SC.

Too bad I'm sure we'll need to get rid of the car when the warranty expires. Recently, the transmission gasket leaked, ha!

45.23 m.p.g. : new '08 YARIS sedan w/automatic . 166 miles / 3.67 gals.gas ( 2 clicks of nozzle ) = 45.23 m.p.g.. 2 people 85% of time , 60% Hwy./40% City , many steep hills , avg. temp: 50 , tire pressure: near 34 p.s.i. , and avg. speed: 48 . This was dealer gas fill so could have been a bit more or less gas than our refill , either way , quite pleased . We've been gentle on it due to break in period for 1st thousand miles as quoted in owners manual . Try to keep it under 3,000 r.p.m.s and easy acceleration , if possible , do have many impatient drivers on road . Will report on next fill up .

'08 YARIS Liftback w/ 5 speed manual : 44 m.p.g. . 2 people ( 90% ) , many steep hils , 75%Hwy./30%city , avg. temp: 55 , winds: 10>20 m.p.h. , avg speed: 50 . Using fairly new fill of VALVOLNE Synpower 5w-30 and new tranny fill of REDLINE MT-90 ( 75w-90 , GL-4 ) . Can live with that at $4.06 a gallon :-( .

'08 Civic Coupe EX 5-sp MT all stock, 5.8K miles, newish M1 0w-20 oil & M1-110 filter

Last tank: 46.2 mpg on 87 octane with 1 passenger and camping gear, 99% state highway miles at mostly 70 mph speed limit, only 3 warm-up cycles, elevation between a mile and 7,500 feet above sea level

Normal MPG: 31-34 MPG in 100% city driving, all surface roads about a mile above sea level. I drive like an old lady most of the time, especially when some kid mistakes my Honda for a sports car and starts revving his engine at a red light.

As the engine wears in I'm seeing pretty good fuel economy with the poor-boy CostCo custom mix: 2 gallons 91 octane + whatever amount of 86 octane it takes to fill the rest of the tank. In my town that's about $0.20/gallon cheaper than regular 86 octane from Shell, Chevron, etc.

My car recently got really lousy mileage. 94 Corolla, storm chasing in Kansas - lots of idling, lots of cruising at 65 mph, and a decent amount of full throttle 90+ mph
grin2.gif
That netted only 32 mpg.

On the way back west with a quarterly headwind of about 30 mph, 70 mph all highway, I only got 33.6 mpg.

I've found in my Corolla, that on average, I get better mpg in town. I usually get about 35 in town (recently calculated 35.9).

On flat highways, I get about 36 if it is totally calm, but any kind of headwind just tanks the fuel mileage.

My best fuel mileage comes from mountain driving! Seems counterintuitive, but what goes up must come back down - lots of coasting.

still in the break in period . 317.9 miles / 7.168 gals. ( 2 clicks ) = 44.349 m.p.g.. 2 people all the time , many steep hills , winds: 15 > 30 , avg. temp: 68 , 2 different drivers , A/C : 10% , avg. speed: 51 , and 65% Hwy. / 35% City . Not bad . Little over 500 miles so far .

2001 SAAB 9-5 2.3l turbo (auto 4 speed)

34.2 mpg!!!!!! 90-95% highway but lots of idling in road construction on this last tank. Incredible in a 3500 lb cruiser.

BTW, if you don't like the dash layout on the Yaris, try the Scion XD. Similar mpg and 4 doors.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Is the Yaris 1.5L a timing belt motor? I'm very much considering getting a 5 speed Sedan in the near term.

It's the same engine as in the Scions, isn't it?
Quite sure it's a chain . Same engine as XA , XB (1st generation) , ECHO , and TERCEL .

The 1NZ series engine USES A CHAIN, period. Same engine as the gas side of the Prius. I've seen the manual and diagrams -- chain, no belt.

Back