2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L FFV (5w20 OK??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AROUND THE INTERNET AND I HAVE SEEN WHERE FORD NOW RECOMMENDS 5W20 IN THERE LATE MODEL CARS. IS THIS TRUE? IS IT ALRIGHT TO USE 5W20 OIL IN THIS AUTOMOBILE THAT THE MANUAL SAYS TO USE 5W30? IF IT IS OK AND SOMEONE CAN VERIFY THAT IT IS RECOMMENDED TO USE 5W20, WILL IT BE ALRIGHT TO USE MOBIL 1 0W20 IN THIS ENGINE?

I DON'T WANT MY ENGINE TO START WEARING OUT AND I DON'T WANT TO INFLICT ANY DAMAGE OVER TIME ON THIS TRUCK SEEING I LOVE IT DEATH AND WILL OWN IT A VERY LONG TIME.

I LIVE IN THE ATLANTA, GA AREA AND IT GETS PRETTY HOT HERE. ITS BEEN PROVEN THAT 5W20 IS A PRETTY ROBUST OIL SO I HAVE NO QUESTION THAT IT CAN WITHSTAND THE HEAT TORTURE. BUT I WANT TO KNOW IF IT IS OK TO USE 0W20 OR 5W20 WITH OUT IT BURNING OIL OR DAMAGEING THE ENGINE PREMATURALLY. SEEING THAT THIS TRUCK CALLS FOR 5W30.

THANKS,
TIM
itschy.gif

If your manual calls for 30 wt oils, then I see no compelling reason to step down to a 20 wt.

There are plenty of robust 30's out there. You'll find plenty in the UOA section. Motorcraft 5W-30 syn blend leaps to mind. I'm sure others will be along shortly to give you other recommendations.

THANKS,
YOU ARE RIGHT LOOKED AT THE MOTORCRAFT 5W30 INFO SHEETS. IMPRESSIVE WELL WHAT I CAN MAKE OUT OF IT. I AM THINKING OF JUST GOING TO WITH 5W30 MOBIL 1. BUT IF THERE IS ANY ADVANTAGES OF GOING DOWN TO A 5W20 OF 0W20 I LIKED TO KNOW TOO YOU KNOW. THATS IF MY QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED IN THE PREVIOUS POST.

Tim,
There is a button right next to the letter 'a' its called a caps lock... turn it off please.

Typing in all caps means you are shouting in internetese.

SORRY I AM NEW TO ALL THIS. I KNOW IT SHOUTING IN INTERNET LANGUAGE. I JUST HAVE A HABIT IN TYPING IN ALL CAPS. ITS JUST REACTION TO ME. I DON'T CONSIDER IT SHOUTING. IF YOU READ MY POSTS I AM NOT WRITING IN A SHOUTING MANNER.

SORRY FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS ME CONFUSED.

For now on I will stop ShOuTiNg. :)

I own a Ranger myself and have put in Mobil 1 0w-20 since the new Ford bulletin came out. I was using Mobil 1 5w-30 before and haven't noticed much of any changes. When it's cold out (below freezing), I did notice it was a tad easier start. Since you live in the south you may want to run only the thinner oil in the winter. No real reason to change at all if you don't want to, the 5w-30 would be my choice if I where in your location. 10w-30 may give a slow start on a cold Georgia winter morning (you do have those once in a while).

I have a 1999 Ranger Extended Cab, 4WD, 5-Speed manual transmission with 3.0 Flex Fuel. Has 130,000 miles using valvoline 5w30 conventional oil with 3000 mile change interval with FL-400S filter. Mostly insterstate commuting for work, 90 mile round trip at speeds between 65 and 90 mph. Gets around 24 mpg, sometimes a little better, occassionally a little less if I put two dirt bikes in the back and drive it in the mountains or off road.

The motor runs like new and I think it will easily go another 130,000 miles. I am shooting at getting 300,000. I am also using mobil synthetic gear lube in the differentials, and Redline D4ATF in the mazda 5-speed transmission.

I am thinking of trying the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil, but I have had such good luck with the valvoline that I wonder if it would be wise or not.

Anyway, the 3.0 FFV engine is very durable and should last a long time.

One other thing, at around 25,000 miles or so I tried mobil synthetic and it knocked or made a "marbling" sound at idle. I drained the mobil after a few days of this and replaced with valvoline and new filter and the noise went away.

A good 10w30 would be fine, though in GA I might be tempted to make my own 15w30 by throwing in a quart of straight 30 with the rest 10w30.
smile.gif

Tim,
I have a 2001 Ranger with the puny 2.5L engine. I've got over 55k on it now and it still runs well. I plan on keeping it until it hits aroung 150k, or sooner if it gives me any trouble. Been feeding it Mobil 1 since first oil change and keep up on all needed fluid changes. Plugs have been replaced, coolant flushed, pcv valve, fuel filter, tranny (manual) fluid.
It rides too rough for me and the engine lacks power and refinement..... but it's all paid for, so who cares! I've heard they run for quite a while but I still wish I had purchased a Toyota pickup.

Never had any complaints with my ranger. I don't know how to drive stick so I would never end up with there smaller engines. I heard with the proper TLC they will run FOR EVER! My truck purrs like a kitten. I love taking it out on the interstate and just letting it rip. To the speed limit of course. I heard the Toyotas are nicebut I done a little comparing and the Ford comes out on top with affordabilty and more bang for your buck. I have a ton of featres that came with my ford that a Toyota would have come with but with twice the price tag.

Oh well I still would die or a Toyota but i will probably die before my truck does.

I have owned 3 consecutive 3.0 Rangers, the 3.0 engine is bulletproof. A good 5w30 dino changed at reasonable intervals is all it needs. Motorcraft is my first choice with Havoline a close second. No need or benefit in using 5w20 unless you are experiencing sub-zero temps.

I noticed that you said that it is a flex fuel vehicle. You should be aware that if you ever use M-85 that you must use engine oil that will hold up to the Methonol. As long as you use streight gasoline ordinary conventional dino or synthetic oil will be fine. Without the correct additives, Methonol will wipe out the bearings.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Jim:
I noticed that you said that it is a flex fuel vehicle. You should be aware that if you ever use M-85 that you must use engine oil that will hold up to the Methonol. As long as you use streight gasoline ordinary conventional dino or synthetic oil will be fine. Without the correct additives, Methonol will wipe out the bearings.

Thank you Big Jim. I have been looking for some info on this.

My daughter just picked up a 99 Ranger. I don't have any manuals yet.

Here's what I found at Amsoil: "..Ford Spec WSE-M2C909-A; Ford Part no. XO-10w30-FF1."

I suspected something like what you say. Also, that looks like it wants a 10w30 weight.

So it's true. I was wondering if he has the same 3.0 as is in my wife's '92 Aerostar--the Vulcan pushrod V6. (Gets confusing what with Ford has all these new fangled OHC engines now.) That pushrod 3.0 V6 is the best running engine I ever had. It is a bit weak on torque, but sure sounds sweet when you mat the pedal--and moves out pretty good too. Our Aerostar will 1-2 shift at 5700 rpm--yee haw! Got 10w30 Synpower in it right now in our Michigan winter and it starts fine (albeit garaged).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back